What made you interested in art?

Title says it all. I always wonder on how people got so interested in drawing/painting/whatever, so I thought of creating this topic to discuss about it; and since I’m the one who created this, I’ll go first:

I really got interested in art back in the 3rd/5th grade. The class that I had at that time had this “store” in the corner of the room where our teacher had all these types of toys/candies to buy with stickers as money.(Fun fact: This is where I bought some of the Bionicle comics; even some of the sets form early 2000) I had this weird idea of selling posters that I drew at the store, and she allowed it. Most of them were Sonic the Hedgehog (was a REALLY big fanboy at that time) but others were based on cartoons like Flapjack and others that I can’t seem to remember. A lot of my classmates enjoyed them and kind of sparked this idea that drawing is something that I’m good at; but one day, I knew for certain that I wanted to draw as my talent. I was bored in my room, having nothing to do. So, I looked for a movie to put on to ease my boredom, that movie being “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”. Instead of watching the movie, I looked around the “special features”, where I found this documentary-like video on the making of Snow White and the history of Walt Disney. I was amazed by the work and effort that was put into the movie and the history behind the Walt Disney Company; how the animation was made, how every single frame was made. It was amazing, and it imprinted the idea of improving my art skills and getting into animation.

3 Likes

Moved category~Notsureifcorrectwun

Anyway idk, I always drawed when I was little and always tried to improve. So I started using different programs and all.

4 Likes

Yeah, same here. :smile:

I’ve only recently started using digital software.

1 Like

Coincidentally, Sonic is actually a big reason I’m into art today.

Well, basically for as long as I could hold a pencil I was drawing. I’ve also apparently had some degree of talent for it as my parents have told me I was aware of the shape of the human body and drawing stick figures while most other kids were drawing heads with arms and legs. So I was basically just a normal kid who liked coloring and drawing, but then when I was a bit older I started watching the Sonic X TV show, and from then on I was hooked on the franchise.
I got Sonic games, Sonic toys, and Sonic books. The books I got had pictures from the show and the just plain shots of the characters, so I started copying those (I even cut some out and used them as pseudo-action figures). Eventually I was drawing Sonic at least everyday, and my skills gradually improved as I got older. I dabbled in some other things, I even tried Bionicle, but Sonic stayed with me the whole time.
I got out of drawing for a while during the middle school-junior high transition, but afterwards I just started to draw everything. As I got closer to my age now I got more into the technical side of drawing, started watching YouTube videos and following artists and comic makers. Soon I found the painting side of things and started to do some of that. All the while I’ve just practiced and practiced, and I’m always improving, and if there’s anything that’s going to keep me doing art it’s the ever-present next level to strive to achieve!

1 Like

I started drawing when I was pretty young, but after a while I lost interest. I picked it beck up for a while in middle school just so my sister could take the class with someone she knew, (crippling shyness runs in the family) but after a few years I dropped out.

Recently, I picked up drawing again because I was inspired by all the awesome artists on the site. Maybe after some practice, I’ll post some stuff.

1 Like

I always drew stuff-when I was five I took all of my parent’s paper and drew hundreds of Veggie tales drawings. Then I met my friend Jackie Winters on Deviant art when I was thirteen which made me think I should try to get better at drawing.

Although I know I will never be as good as Jim Lee.

2 Likes

I’d say it was a mix of star wars and bionicle, I love the designs of ships and armor in star wars as well as just bionicle in general, and I wanted to figure out how to draw them, however as a result of this I’m not the greatest at drawing organic things

1 Like

I used to like to draw robots and lasers back when I was 10. Then I found MS paint. I learned how to efficiently use photo software with it.

Then I played a really bad game called Roblox and I first found paint.net because I wanted to make shirts. Good thing I don’t play Roblox anymore.

Now I plan to make fun Cyanide and Happiness-like webcomics on a website that will probably exist sometime in the future. I also draw much better now, with more complex frames and infinitely better colors and designs.

2 Likes

I took a clay course in my sophomore year of high school.

Now I’m a senior in Clay 3, with multiple projects of mine being displayed in my local city hall and around my school over the years.

I haven’t regretted it.

1 Like

expressing characters, ideas and other things I made up in my head

and fanart

1 Like

In 5th grade, I drew a cartoon dog with a tiny body and a giant head. It was adorable and really well drawn. according to my friends. From then on, I just started to draw more.

2 Likes

Sonic is really what got me into drawing. He was a big part of my childhood even through sixth grade, but I only started developing my art style when I discovered a channel on YT known as Dietstab (her content isn’t the most child-friendly).

1 Like

I used to draw things like animals and stuff a lot in elementary school, though Sonic is what really got me into drawing more. I’ve since toned down on that though, and BIONICLE has made me more interesting in drawing robots and other science fictional stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve always loved drawing, painting, etc. But I really got into drawing around 2 to 3 years ago, when I really got into animation. Although I sadly didn’t have the skill at the time to really do anything. So I vowed to myself that I would start drawing everyday until I got good enough to do animation.

Which i’m still working at…

1 Like

Same here. At least until senior year, when I start taking Art for Illustration. They have a lesson for animation, so that’ll help.

1 Like

I thought about doing that, but I’ll probably end up doing animation, or character design…Or maybe both… Probably both…

2 Likes

Funny enough, my high school doesn’t have those two as separate electives. For me, Art for Illustration is like a hoge-poge of different types of art in advertising/products like comics, animation, character design, ect.

1 Like

My school doesn’t have it either, :confused: But art school is always a option…

1 Like

My sister used to draw a lot around me when I was younger, she even went into animation, so then I decided to give it a try. I wasn’t very good at it but I kept practicing drawing the same thing over and over until I really enjoyed doing it.

1 Like

bionicle comics.

1 Like