What will happen if I put a mask in saltwater for a few months?

Okay, as for just dunking the mask in saltwater, there will be no considerable differences as far as I can tell. It’s just saltwater. The reason most things decay in the oceans is because of all the algae and coral and general life that is in the ocean. if you tossed a plastic bottle in the ocean, it could last for years which is why everyone’s so upset about them. So the saltwater thing just won’t work.

Pointing this out for the bleach. It, again, won’t do anything.

Okay, well, this actually depends on what stuff LEGO puts in their plastic, but I’m fairly certain it shouldn’t do anything.

For something interesting, I recommend rubbing alcohol. You’ll have to mix your own solution if you want to water it down, but if you’ve ever gotten sharpie on a LEGO, and thought some alcohol ought to do the trick you would know of what I speak.

So start there.

2 Likes

Water would evaporate and small crystals of salt will appear on mask.
Yes and the mask would be salty…
Mask of For Science mmmmm salty

4 Likes

Nopa, you’re a great weird guy, but you say the weirdest best things

10 Likes

This confused me.
Like a lot.

1 Like

I’m not surprised

1 Like

DON’T USE BLEACH. PROFESSIONAL OPINION HERE. I TRIED IT. MY MASK NO LONGER LIVES.

Srsly tho, bleach dissolves lego pieces. I tried it in substitute of hydrogen peroxide a few moths back (lol) and it created holes in many of my parts. All it does is make them turn whiter…

Did it work in such a way that it could be used intentionally to create pieces that look weathered or eroded? Or does it just look gross?

1 Like

throws whole MOC in bleach

7 Likes

Pretty much just gross. Distorted the plastic, made those really thin parts in the pieces, etc. Not to mention, it greatly increased the fragility of the parts as well. The parts came out looking like a wet turd xD

If you’re looking to make pieces look corroded, look elsewhere.

1 Like

Well now I’m curious as to what LEGO makes their pieces out of… I’m thinking CAB, PEEK, PPS, or Polysulfone. Some combination of those…

1 Like

Have you ever heard of ABS?

If not, get out.

(and evidently some pieces are made of polycarbonate as well)

1 Like

@Hawkflight, @BioRaiders532, most LEGO elements are indeed moulded in virgin ABS plastic. I believe ploycarbonate is (or was) used for transparent parts. Other parts, like Inika masks, hoses and other rubbery elements are evidently made from something else.

But ABS isn’t known to react so destructively with bleach. It does absorb bleach which reduces its lifespan, but it shouldn’t do this

http://www.plasticsintl.com/plastics_chemical_resistence_chart.html

I could be totally blanking on something too. Tends to happen when I have too much hot chocolate too early in the morning.

I read somewhere it is the fire retardent added to the parts reacting in this way, not the plastic itself.

Probably just wet, salty plastic.

2 Likes

For some reason that made the image of a soggy pretzel pop into my mind.

Now I want pretzels.

8 Likes

Bio

Stop being so frickin intelligent

9 Likes

.-.

No?

11 Likes