What's your favourite Bionicle movie?

The mighty tumor will get you for saying that

4 Likes

No, it just had unlikable jerks for Toa and high lord of all things bad. bland and genericā€¦Teridax.

:grin:

1 Like

Jerks? Yes, but find them plenty likable.

U wot m8
Takin smak bout Terry?
Fite me osside 1v1, il rek u fam.

4 Likes

I enjoy Teridax as a character, but itā€™s not Teridax in Mask of Light or either of the sequels. Itā€™s Makuta. The name matters in how the character is portrayed. Teridax is the ultimate schemer who crafted a master plan that allowed him to become his own god. Makutaā€” well, I wouldnā€™t go as far as to say heā€™s ā€œlord of all things bad and blandā€, but heā€™s certainly more generic.

1 Like

Has anyone else read the CBR review of LoMN? Is this really how the community thinks about that particular movie?

1 Like

I just read the article and found quite a bit wrong with it:

• ā€œWhile fans were ready to see the story press forward, it instead fell backwards to tell stories that held little significance to the ā€˜present dayā€™ plot of the franchise.ā€

• Iā€™m pretty sure by the end of the 03ā€™ story, we were all thinking that Mata Nui was going to be awakened and the main story might end there. Itā€™s not like they were forcing us to wait for the next chapter; we werenā€™t even sure there would be a next chapter.
  • " Whereas Mask of Light 's Toa Nuva were already fan-favorites, the Toa Metru were a mixed bag, and this film did nothing to help their image."

• I think I can speak for a lot of fans when I say itā€™s good that the Toa Metru didnā€™t start off as experienced as the Toa Nuva. And in terms of personality, it sort of offered the best of both worlds; the Toa Metru had similar yet distinct personalities for their respective Toa Nuva.
  • ā€œwhereas the antagonistic Makuta had a consistent, threatening presence in Mask of Light , heā€™s an absolute joke here.ā€

• While Makuta had a threatening presence in MoL, it wasnā€™t consistent: the Kolhii match with Takanuva pretty much also made him a joke.
  • ā€œin the comics, writer Greg Farshtey explains why Vakama experiences visions of the future. But in the film, thereā€™s no explanation for this at all, making it seem like Vakama has clairvoyant powers out of nowhere (not that his vision do anything substantial in the film).ā€

• No, they were never explained, as far as Iā€™m aware.
    • His visions get him and the Toa started on their quest to saving Metru Nui. Iā€™d say thatā€™s pretty substantial.
  • ā€œat the time of release, it felt like Legends of Metru Nui was blatantly going against everything that was already happening in the canonā€

• It had been stated several times that the Turaga were likely holding back secrets from everyone else; itā€™s not like Metru Nui came completely out of nowhere. In fact, it probably paid off to know what they were hiding.
  • ā€œWhile there is still some charm to this film, Legends of Metru Nui definitely remains the weakest in the franchise. For the longest time, it seemed like that honor was reserved for Bionicle 3: Web of Shadows , but upon further reflection, thatā€™s simply not the case. For the true fans out there, revisit this film if you want. Just donā€™t expect anything special.ā€

• Dude, no. Youā€™re wrong. Neither of them have been the weakest for a long time. We all know which Bionicle film that title is reserved for. If ā€œtrue fansā€ existed, they would 100% agree on this.
2 Likes

The thing that boggled me most is how certain the author was, that his review is the verification of the opinion of the fan base. I would have understood if he had written something like: ā€œthis movie is bad becauseā€ or ā€œthe trilogy is bad becauseā€. But he took the approach of ā€œthe fans were right when they loved MoL and disregarded its sequelsā€. Where does that come from?
MoL is one of the worst rated movies of all time (for some reason) and was criticized for having the basic plot of LotR and still gets the nostalgia pass, while the sequels are considered terrible? What kind of sense does that make?

Huhā€¦I always thought it had something to do with Krakua, but you are right. There is nothing about that on Bs01.

Tbh I disliked Web of Shadows as a kid, more than TLR. It took some years and a look at the almost ten minutes longer uncensored version for me to come around to it. However I feel like the author is not even aware that TLR is a thing.

2 Likes

Uncensored version?

Legend reborn

1 Like

In Germany the movie is just a bit more than an hour long. They censored everything: Visorak fangs close-ups, Vakamaā€™s evil/animalistic behavior, jumpscares, usage of the Rhoutuka spinner as a weapon by the Toa, Makutaā€™s awakening and Roodakas teleportation is just a red blurr (I didnā€™t even knew that there was a shadow hand without the uncensored version). The final battle is an editing-mess. Even the Kagahrak spinner attack was cut. The Toa are just suddenly defeated out of nowhere.

1 Like

Sounds awfulā€¦I wanna watch it!

You know where I could find it?

1 Like

Oh, right. Iā€™ve heard that Germany is infamous for censoring a ridiculous amount of violence.

There is just a really bad quality version on youtube (German,high pitched, slightly sped up, bad format that only covers half the actual image). I donā€™t know where else it could be.

Found it:

I love how Vakama just suddenly has a different arm; he lifts it up like he hadnā€™t notice it before, and then thereā€™s a close up shot of Hordika Vakamaā€™s faceā€¦ and then theyā€™re falling. And later, Keetongu still crushes Sidorak, who letā€™s out a pretty horrific scream. They cut out the frames where he swings down his arms, but the screen vibrates after and itā€™s still pretty implicit what happened. @Makutros Now I see why you didnā€™t like WoS as much.

Iā€™ve watched the German dub of LoMN and virtually nothing is changed. Not even the jumpscares with Nidikh or the Matoran sphere or the Toa Metru getting pummeled around in the coliseum are censored, and then they go full ham with the censorship in the next movie.

1 Like

I ā€œlovedā€ every second of this terrible mistake!
Omg it was so horrible!

Complaints: my only complaint is the way sidorakā€™s lasts word were portrayed in this dub it doesnā€™t nearly have the pure desperation in his voice as he realizes heā€™s been betrayed.

Iā€™ll add more once Iā€™ve watched it like 3 more times.

1 Like

Not true. Rocket was voiced by a different actor that Nuju/Pohatu/Iruini.

I donā€™t know why they spared that movie. MoL was also censored. But it seems that honor was reserved to scenes with Rahkshi/Kraata being creepy back then.

2 Likes

Unpopular opinion but Legend Reborn

Web of Shadows close second

1 Like