When should Ninjago end?

Yes, Invasion from Below but with ninjas. I want this.

6 Likes

Tahu destroyed the entire legion of Rahkshi in the last wave of Bionicle. The Heroes committed genocide on the jumpers in their final wave. I can’t think of any other theme that’s lasted five years or more and ended in the past decade, so I think the new rule for ending long-running themes is that the final wave has to involve robots decimating a reptilian species. Maybe if Ninjago ends with a mech wave, they’ll have a change of heart and kill all the serpentine.

10 Likes

Better yet, they’ll introduce a new branch of serpentine to kill

6 Likes

The dreaded eriewatersnakeai!

3 Likes

The DeathAdder tribe!

2 Likes

I mean…Rebooted was when I started to lose interest, but recently, I realized that that was around the time that I started to outgrow the target audience for Ninjago. I actually went and watched all the seasons I’d missed out on, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them.

I’ve gotten used to seeing every new Ninjago wave every year, but I agree that it gets repetitive at times. The show doesn’t feel that repetitive to me, but I feel that if and when it ends, it should build up toward one big, epic conclusion-not like the tacked-on one that Bionicle got.

Indeed. All the Ninjago fans that have stuck with it this long deserve a proper conclusion…if that conclusion does come.

Honestly, the way I feel about Ninjago is very similar to how I feel about Diary Of A Wimpy Kid. I adored it when I was younger, I went through a phase where I started to dislike it for overstaying its welcome, and I ended up remembering why I liked it in the first place, and I embraced its longevity. I, as a consumer, will continue to devote time and money towards this franchise that I’m a fan of. But at the same time, I’m worriedly thinking “It can’t go on forever…can it?”

1 Like

That’s fair, but with Bionicle I can’t say there was ever a point where I lost interest. I know that’s not true for everyone, but for me, I liked it consistently as I grew up and never really went through an “eh” phase, though obviously I appreciated different things about it as I grew.

Ninjago is a bit different. It gets the attention of some people outside the target audience, sure, but it’s really quite laser-focused on a specific age range, with a few nods to older fans. Some people would say that’s better, and their sales would certainly suggest that, but it rather affects my enjoyment of it, and I’m probably not the only one.

I do 100% agree that even though it’s not my favourite theme, Ninjago has earned a proper sendoff and I hope the fans eventually get that, rather than something slapped on the end. That said, I didn’t mind Bionicle’s ending (the 2010 one, not the serials :stuck_out_tongue:) and I’m rather appreciative that Lego gave it an end at all - a small but nice tribute that stands out among the graveyard of cliffhangers most of their lines leave behind. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

From what I’ve heard, some fans that got into Bionicle when it originally came out in 2001 where already growing out of it by 2004-2005. I met a guy on Discord who said that the 2001-2003 period is the only era of Bionicle that he actually cares about.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who likes the Serpentine so much I get happy every time they come back? Come on, let’s get a Serpentine ninja or something.

4 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

But in all seriousness, yes, I’m well aware that some people only liked the 2001-2003 era, and that’s a bit different to growing out of the series - it’s a matter of taste. Not to say some people didn’t grow out of it, but… I get the general feeling that Bionicle had more “sticking power” than Ninjago on average, if that makes sense. I have no statistics whatsoever to back up this opinion, though - it’s just a hunch. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m not interested in Ninjago story since it always has been poorly written, but I do enjoy the sets and aside from the first wave of 2020 they are really good. So I don’t see the reason to shut it down now.

2 Likes

I adore this theme. I figure it’s likely to end within the next few years, and I’m pretty okay with that. As I see it, March of the Oni (flawed as it may have been) was the proper send-off that the theme deserved. The seasons since, while I’ve quite enjoyed them (with Master of the Mountain placing among the all-time best) have struck me as a kind of ‘after story’. The cycle of the theme’s first nine-and-a-half year told a complete story, and every story since has been something extra. I compare it to other popular cartoon series that have ended and gone on to tell an additional story/stories (sometimes through different media) set after the finale, such as Avatar: The Last Airbender and Steven Universe.
With all that said, I certainly wouldn’t mind the theme continuing longer than expected, but I am trying to keep myself in a state where I am ready to accept its eventual end.

3 Likes

Ninjago should never end. As for the sales, I have spent over $150 on sets, so dont woory

1 Like

well I spent a good bit more than that but it was over eight years ago. Doesn’t necessarily prove a point as to how it stands today.

1 Like

I haven’t bought a proper, boxed Ninjago set in years. I think the last one was the Ninja Nightcrawler in 2018.

2 Likes

Tbh I haven’t bought any lego period in a solid couple years or so.

2 Likes

Same here actually. Not Lego in general, though, I still buy used stuff, but the new sets just don’t interest me. Recently I’ve been tracking down Mars Mission sets.

5 Likes

Ah, I see you have quality standards. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The only current LEGO theme I bought sets from was Hidden Side, since I quite liked the line. However, most of my LEGO budget goes to used sets on Bricklink.

2 Likes

big sad

1 Like