Who would you spare?

I think most of the deaths within the story are justified. There are just too many characters, so some have to go to make space for new characters to shine. If a character has served its purpose / completed its story arc and is unlikely to return as a set, I have no problem with that character getting killed off. So I wouldn’t bring back the Makuta of Karda Nui, like Tahu said: “They lit this inferno, let them burn in it.” Zaktans arc was also pretty much complete once he showed the Hagah the way to Makuta, as this was his biggest secret throughout the story. And last but not least Sidorak’s character arc was completed with a fitting punishment that brought up his biggest weakness. With that said:

Characters that died too early

• Nidhiki/Lhikan: they should have had at least a true final showdown before Teridax killed them both
  • Carapar: he should have died alongside Takadox, though killing Carapar before Takadox was better than the other way around
  • Tren Krom: unlike Karzahni, who was pretty much redundant since Dreams of Destruction, Tren Krom should have been directly facing a Great Being on screen before going out

Characters that shouldn’t have died:

• Botar:
    do I need to say more? If it was another dedicated Makuta hunter instead, that was not relevant to the plot at a later point, it would be okay though. If Icarax needs to flex, don’t stop him. Botar is the guy to spare. Don’t kill the plot device you still need

Also Tuyet should have stayed dead. Dark Mirror was good enough as her final chapter, even if it was an AU. I would trade a Tuyet for a Botar.

5 Likes

Honestly, I would spare Karzahni. He’s one of my favorite characters and I still think Greg took him off the playing board too soon. He would have made for an excellent insane antagonist following Teridax’s defeat.

2 Likes

Botar. His death pumoed up Icarax but they replaced him with unnamed colleague immediately.

3 Likes

Oh, I despised that they axed Botar! I loved Botar! Now Trinuma (since he was there at that confrontation) on the other hand…

1 Like

Let’s not forget the Toa from Jovan’s team!

That aside I would probably save Lhikan because I feel like he could have changed the story and saved the Toa Metru a great deal of trouble. The latter were all essentially rookies and could definitely have used a wise leader to prevent them from screwing up every step along the way.

2 Likes

The Lord of Skull Spiders. He was just an innocent spider minding his own business until one day, Makuta started bossing him around.

1 Like

I thought of another one: Gadunka. He was a funny/unique set and actually kind of became a character in the story. And then he’s just randomly mentioned to have been eaten by a Takea shark

1 Like

Actually, I think the Lord of Skull Spiders was a huge missed opportunity. I would’ve liked to see him have a speaking role, and a character with a backstory.

2 Likes

I don’t have anyone I would spare, but if I were to put a finger on any of my peeves as far as deaths go, I would un-spare Jaller in Mask of Light.
I know it’s a dead horse, and Lego can’t have a character die like that, but he really should have stayed dead and dunk-it if I don’t still feel cheated. :zipper_mouth_face:

Imagine what it would have done to Takanuva if Jaller was gone forever trying to save him after Takua shoved the responsibility of the Avohkii onto him.

But then I guess you wouldn’t have Jaller Inika/Mahri - which IMO would have been worth it for a moment of actual stakes.

2 Likes

In that case, who would you replace Jaller with on the Inika/Mahri?

1 Like

Hooo boy, bear with me, this might be long… :thinking:

If I have to pick a Ta-Matoran?
I would pick Nuhrii. We are already sort of familiar with that character, and that history leaves a lot of potential for interesting interactions. Maybe being turned into a Toa Inika (somehow?) renews his memory of his life in Metru-Nui. That would make Matoro’s conversation with Jaller (read Nuhrii) that much more meaningful.
Nuhrii would be interesting because he could propose a rhetorical question:

If you regained the memories of your previous life after having lived another, how different would you be?

Maybe he remembers his past life and regrets it, maybe his mask-forging knowledge returns and could share insight with the other Toa on the Kanohi Ignika, maybe he reverts back to who he used to be and has to wrestle with his past and his present destinies. There’s a lot to go on here that would make his interaction with the other Toa that much more interesting, and maybe would make Matoro not feel so alone (which Jaller does too).
Hell,

But if we’re not selling toys here and we don’t need to a Toa Inika/Mahri of fire, I would straight-up replace Jaller with Takanuva. As far as I’m concerned there is no (or very few) reasons why he could not. I know there’s a whole bunch of other stories involving him later that I haven’t had time to get into yet, and there was that whole barrier that prevented him from following the other matoran, but all of that just feels like it can be just as easily written out.

You might not even have to nerf him that much considering (from my understanding) the Toa of Light is the biggest threat to the Makuta, and they aren’t really that involved with Voya-nui/Mahri-nuiin the first place.

We really don’t have much interaction with Takanuva that much after mask of light, and I don’t really see the point in not involving him more in the story from then on, especially since it’s a little bit like he’s our audience insert taking a more active role. He has a history with Makuta Teridax, so when he shows up in the antidermis on Voya Nui and when he possesses the MAXILOS, Teridax and Takanuva actually have some kind of history together, and that’s driving the conflict farther - old enemies and whatnot.

AND! Takanuva can also learn his identity as an Av-Matoran from the cray-cray one they meet in Karzani’s realm.

Plus can you imagine how crazy Toa Inika/Mahri Takanuva (Takanika? Takamahri?) must be?

Anyway:
TLDR:
Jaller should have died in Mask of Light. Replace him as a Toa with Takanuva who leads the Toa Inkia/Mahri. We get to hang out with the closest thing we have to a protagonist, it actually means something when Teridax shows up again, the Toa mahri have someone to guide them (using weapons, mask powers, etc), and maybe he could have put Karzani in his McFreakin’ place.

4 Likes

I like that. The only wrench in the works is that it makes the team stay a team of 5 when Matoro dies - as the canon is now, Takanuva can take over as the sixth member of the Toa Mahri.

3 Likes

True!
Personally though, I think keeping the Toa Mahri a team of five after one of them literally saved the world would have been fine.

Aww, I just thought of something! If Jaller dies we never get to see that cute little Hahnha crab! :fearful:

3 Likes

It could also be given to Takanuva. It would actually make a lot of sense – maybe it reminds him of Pewku.

4 Likes

ehh
I’d rather Jaller still be a Toa

2 Likes

makuta krikka

2 Likes

I want to spare Tamma from Kingdom alternate universe.

Matoro. He’s the real hero of the story. Of course, I might also save Toa Ignika, since he’s just absurdly OP.

If this had happened I would never have been able to think anything other than “Takanuva is cheating on Pewku with the Hannah crab” like cmon Chronicler you have a crab at home, appreciate her

I really didn’t want Tren Krom to die. Sooo much potential having that character free to roam. Coulda had a Lovecraftian cult on Spherus Magna

2 Likes

What did Artakha tell him?

1 Like