Why didn't Bionicle tap into the Transformers niche?

Patience my young apprentice. You will get your original theme eventually.

4 Likes

People whose arguments are that LEGO shouldn’t have made transforming sets because they’d compete with Hasbro clearly forgot that Hasbro was the one who invented action figures which bonkle are

I always loved the idea of transformers and how they can transform into a vehicle and also wondered why Bionicle didn’t have more sets other than technically Bohrok that do the same thing

3 Likes

Hasbro invented the action figure, but monopolized the transforming one. Even now there’s nearly no competition for the transformers brand; the most competent competitors only make transformer lookalikes under different names. You can, however, find hundreds of different action figure companies producing tens of thousands of different figures.

LEGO makes an action figure, it could be compared to the rest of the market with no difficulty, filled with thousands of different concepts, techniques, levels of quality, and licenses. But LEGO makes a transforming figure, and there is one and only one comparison that can be drawn.

6 Likes

Yeah. The one off transforming set I think is fine but if lego made an entire theme of all transforming robots then there could be some issues with hasbro.

2 Likes

I just learned one of the Mixel Maxes is a transformer:

14 Likes

Mixel universe Fire Convoy confirmed??

5 Likes

Because Lego didn’t want to be accused of harassment.

6 Likes