Why do you play video games?

Pretty much nothing else to say.
I like playing games, I like the characters, and I like the presentations.
And I like the clicky sounds of controllers.

1 Like

Alright, itā€™s time for Storytime with Jogn!

Once upon a time there was a young lad named Jogn. He played video games once in awhile, mostly Lego Star Wars, but mostly thought of them as a waste of time. Then, one day Jogn got Skyrim. Heā€™d never played such a large or ā€œimmersiveā€ game before, and he became a bit obsessed. At first, he endeavored to apply his own moral standards to his playstyle: no stealing, murdering, or other criminal behavior. But, eventually, he ran out of quests that didnā€™t involve thieving or murdering. Thus, he decided to give the Dark Brotherhood a try. He was surprised to find that most of the initial missions involve killing horrible people who, in a place as lawless as Skyrim, probably ought to be done away with anyway. So he kept doing Dark Brotherhood missions, despite his initial misgivings. Eventually, after many assassinations, he got a mission where you have to kill an innocent beggar. By this point, killing NPCs seemed highly mundane. Heā€™d done it time and time again. So he killed the beggar. Then he realized that in doing so, he had done a complete 180 degree turn from his initial standard that murder is a bad thing. At this point, Jogn realized the Skyrim had, intentionally or not, done something no other storytelling medium could do: make you understand, to some degree, the twisted thought processes of a murderer by becoming one yourself. This convinced Jogn that video games were indeed an art form, and that he should probably look into more. (He then used a cheat to resurrect the beggar.)

Tl;dr, I play video games primarily because they can present their stories in a way that no other medium can.

This has been Storytime with Jogn. Tune in next time for a rant about ME3ā€™s ending!

5 Likes

I play video games because the boards sometimes go down and I have nothing else to do with my life.

6 Likes

because itā€™s my duty to jump feet first into hell and back again.

Itā€™s a much needed escape for me.