Why I'm Worried About Spider-Man: No Way Home

WHAT

I can’t believe this. the mcu is ruined

4 Likes

Yes, when Tobey Maguire appears halfway through as the ONE TRUE SPIDERMAN!

liar

Tobey Macguire isn’t spider man he’s peter parker

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll tell you a few things.

Nick Fury, where the hell are you?
As a result, Tom Spider-Man is in a harsher position than any other Spider-Man. There’s really nothing left of him.

who the heck is Tom Spider-Man

I thought his first name was spider and his last name was man
is this a mario mario and luigi mario situation with spider man and Tom Spider-Man

ugh smh I wish the directors would stop inserting their OCs into a perfectly good film about peter parker ugh ugh ugh

1 Like

Oddly enough, the general consensus (and my personal opinion) seems to be that Tobey was actually the weakest one of the three.

Don’t get me wrong, Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite Spider-Man movie, and Tobey Peter had some nice moments with Doc Ock, but in comparison to the sheer presence and development of Tom and Andrew Peter he doesn’t really hold a candle.

Now, is that possibly because the Raimi version of Spider-Man already had a pretty satisfying conclusion to his story back in Spider-Man 3? Perhaps, there weren’t many burning questions left with this Peter Parker. Could it also be perhaps that Tobey Maguire himself is in his late 40s, has back issues, maybe isn’t really too into the role of Spider-Man anymore, and as result wasn’t given much screen-time? Definitely think that’s part of it too.

It was really cool to see again, and it was also nice to actually hear him talking and quipping and generally being a more light-hearted Spider-Man than before. But there wasn’t really a whole lot for him to do in this movie, and he wasn’t in it enough and didn’t do enough to justify the hype for him specifically, at least for me.

Compare it to Andrew Garfield who A). Got some personal satisfaction and enjoyment from actually getting to play a character he really loves again after Sony absolutely threw him in the gutter, B). Had considerably more screen-time in costume, and most importantly, C). Had probably one of the most emotionally hard-hitting scenes in the entire movie that redeemed the entire version of the character and helps bring some sense of closure to his story.

Tobey will always be the Spider-Man of my favorite film, but for me there’s no denying that the two other Spider-Men absolutely showed up for this film.

5 Likes

On a coworker’s suggestion I went and saw spiderman. Here’s what I liked:

The Good
Big girl assaults Tom Holland within the first five minutes
Fanservice and callbacks were fun, loved the meme lines
Andrew Garfield was really enthusiastic and fun to watch
Great performances from villains
Compelling Norman Osborn story
Mirror dimension visuals always nice to look at
Peter and MJ got a kissing scene at sunrise

The Bad
An Ocean of Odd, Unfunny Jokes. Ned, an MIT canidate while floating down the wreckage “Thanks Mr. Cloak”. Tom Holland Peter filming Happy wearing a cpap mask while he is asleep? What?? Then later at the apartment, Aunt May asks Otto “would you like salt water” and then has to explain the joke, only making it worse.
The Awkward Web Shooter Conversation that goes on for too long
One note stereotype JJJ-he calls Spiderman a menace repeatedly like a wrinkly parrot and doesn’t tell a single joke
Fabulous Flash Thompson-this guy is Peter’s high school bully??
Depressed Tobey Spiderdad needs a hug
Emasculated Male Characters-Whiny Dr. Strange can’t make snow go away, easily apprehended Doc Ock gets arms hijacked
Boring musical score

4 Likes

Tobey: So it doesn’t inexplicably come out of your wrist?

2 Likes

yeah jjj has always been a semi villain towards Spider-Man but I feel like this movie made him way too much of an as hole. I mean aunt may just died and jjj just goes on a tirade about spider causing death and destruction; not even a having fake sympathy moment.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say a semi-villain, I’d say a full-on villain.

Jameson is a joy to watch, particularly when he’s played by J.K. Simmons, because, despite his unbridled hatred, the man has charisma. He’s a man that everyone loves to hate, which to me is a marker of a great villain.

Now, I’m not going to say that he’s perfect in the MCU. The Raimi version of JJJ does feel more like a real human person, and we get to see more depth there. But, for the purposes of this film, I think Jameson’s relentless negging is important.

Jameson, especially in the original comics, is a force meant to test Peter’s resolve. He’s the personification of the deep-seeded fear of Peter’s that Spider-Man exists for his own personal benefit, for the thrills, the danger, the excitement, inflation of his own ego, not because he’s doing it to help others.

And in the movie, Jameson brings up a good point, one that Peter actually ends up agreeing with in the end. Everyone Spider-Man is close to either gets their life messed up, put in danger, or they get killed. And it was Peter’s choices that allowed Goblin to kill May.

Jameson is a device to bring self-doubt into the picture. Could he use some more development as a character himself? Absolutely, and I hope we get to see more of him in the next trilogy. But being an unrelenting jerk is totally within his character and purpose.

I’m just gonna put this as non-spoiler because I think everyone should see these, but a lot of the points I made above are points I agree with from video essays by Implicitly Pretentious.

I highly encourage you to look him up and watch his Spider-Man retrospective on the original Stan Lee run of Spider-Man comics (ones I happen to have grown up reading). They’ve done a lot to make me appreciate more of the original themes of the character that have sort of become lost to cultural amnesia and other versions (particularly the Raimi trilogy) overshadowing them.

They’ve also done a lot to make me appreciate MCU Spider-Man even more, so if you weren’t a fan of these films in the first place then I definitely encourage you to give them a watch and see what you think.

5 Likes

Someone who gets it. :smiley:

Yeah I agree, I think they nailed Jameson. But then again, I’m someone who enjoys the comic book versions of the characters more than anything.

3 Likes

A couple of weeks ago, I rewatched Spider-Man 2 for the first time since it came out in summer 2004. It was really good. I had forgotten about the dashboard confessional song at the end, that was super nostalgic. I remember as a kid hating the endless dialogs between peter and the other characters, but now as an adult, I appreciate that stuff more. And there were real jokes, like when the guy at the beginning mistakes spider-man for a pizza thief. There were wholesome moments when spider-man would talk to kids too. If I had any criticisms with the movie, they have to do with Doc Ock. He was barely in the movie and his motivation was kinda weak. Why does he rob a bank to build his fusion reactor? Rofl, he won’t simply steal the parts?? Why? Are his arms telling him not to? But obviously the focus was on Peter’s relationship with MJ so it’s not a huge deal. Then there’s Jameson’s son, the astronaut. His only purpose is to give MJ another love interest and this character isn’t explored, again because he’s not the focus. No big deal. Harry becomes this character in the next movie.

Overall, really solid film from a year with some good kids movies (Incredibles, Spongebob movie, Shrek 2, Prisoner of Azkaban, Series of Unfortunate Events, Legends of Metru Nui).

3 Likes

Hey My son the astronaut was easily the best character in the movie. The story would’ve completely fallen apart if it wasn’t for My son the astronaut.

5 Likes

When I was little, I thought the son was supposed to be Jeff Gordon and I told my dad that he was a racecar driver, not an astronaut.

1 Like

well shows what you know.

so as you may have noticed, that’s Jeff Gordon’s car. Jeff Gordon is a violently angry gremlin who will not let anyone within 15 feet of his car, so we can assume he is the one driving it. and what does it say right on the top there? SPACE.

(this is a joke, folks)

4 Likes

But…that DOES look a lot like his car…