Why Love Shouldn't be Canon!

There was marriage in G1. Roodaka and sidorak were king and queen by marriage.
If there’s marriage, why is love not canon?

I’m a bit unusual in that I experience a separation of the two. I cannot and have never felt romantic attraction, but I am attracted to the opposite sex. So I’m an aromantic heterosexual.

1 Like

The answer to that is that until 2005, love was canon. We had things like Hewkii and Macku, Jaller and Hahli’s obvious flirting in MoL, Matau trying to flirt with Nokama in LoMN, right up to WoS.

2005 featured a femme fatale villain in Roodaka, who Sidorak clearly had the hots for, and she not only played him like a harp but also pretty much seduced Vakama and really wanted to have a thing with Teridax.

Then Greg decanonized love and pretended that 90% of that didn’t happen. When asked about the marriage, he said it was a political alliance, which made pretty much zero sense since Roodaka wasn’t a political leader of any kind, and Sidorak only got power because he took credit for mutating the Rahaga. And his power was over a bunch of semi-sentient spiders that he was borrowing from Terry.

It should be noted that Greg’s approach to retroactive continuity was pretty bad. He basically just decanonized everything that didn’t sit right with his vision of the franchise on that particular day and said “Okay, sure” to whatever nuttiness the Ask Greg thread on BZP or the Lego Message Boards churned up.

4 Likes

I’ve been editing the video for the next Behind the Brick, which focuses on this topic of love not being canon. So I’m not going to reply to everything so as not to spoil it. This post is missing a conclusion, because it’s basically the ending of the video. But there are some specific things I want to address real quick:

I really find it odd that you’re using Tom King’s the Visions as your example for your point. If anything, it’s the strongest argument for my points that’s come out in comics in recent memory. The entire point of the book is that Vision has built himself a family in order for him to completely understand familial relationships because he can’t achieve the same relationships just with his platonic friends. He wants to explore more human and deeper relationships and creates his family to do it. They in turn all try to become more human through the course of this series, taking an analytical approach to common human elements (the concept of pre-eminence, the ironic state of “seeming nice”).

The idea is that the Visions, alongside almost all robot and androids in pop culture and media, are presented as outsiders and contrasted against humans. They come from an exclusively logical perspective and are commonly taught human emotions, including love, over the course of their development for the series. This is true of the Vision himself, as he started as an emotionless android, then in a pivotal iconic moment from Avengers history, found emotion and soon love by being with his team, and then wanted to explore the deepest human relationships by being a husband and a father.

tell me if this have been brought up before, but in the Transformers franchise, there is also love. Now depending on the continuity, love is ither the family variation where in cybertronians can have children. But for the most part its in the non family variation, sort of. You see Transformers can fall in love with one another, and they don’t care if they can make babies or not, to them, new transformers are ither built or created from protoforms. In the IDW canon, love is common for transformers and its not a thing that they where introduced to while on Earth, it was something that was normal to them, infact they introduced the Conjunx Endura idea, which put simply is the transformer version of marriage.

I mean, Cybertronians have existed far longer than Matoran…
…Right?

Gay people exist because straight people exist.

Straight people exist because of reproduction.

I don’t think your argument works.

People can love without being able to reproduce because other people can.

I think romance has little to no place in Bionicle when I look at it from the logical perspective BUT as a Person and someone dedicated to developing characters, I feel the need to say that absence of love can make characters less interesting than they would be with it’s presence.

first of all they didn,t mary they even weren,t king and queen at the same time roodaka was in that time viceroy not queen she became queen after sidorak died thats why she didn,t help him and let keetongu crush him to pieces it was her plot to rule the horde all by herself without anyone having more right aroud the horde after all she was viceroy viceroy is someone who rules if something happens to the king and theres no one else to take his throne

That’s not true. The “logic” is derived from the arbitrary rules the creators make the world with.

1 Like

Yet these rules clearly imply that the Matoran species does not reproduce. As such, there is no need for Love from logical stand-point. Not to say that assumption is correct but I’m sure you can agree on the fact that there is a certain basis to the reasoning of declaring love non-canonical.