Writing Advice

I’m pretty sure we have semi-canonical references to Computers in the universe running the Le-Metru Transport Chutes and that sort of thing. Internet might be a little out there but if you’re doing something comedic it really doesn’t matter.

I’ve seen some things when it comes to Bionicle related comedies. I think internet and computers is the least of all those.

2 Likes

Simple, but it just might work.

1 Like

A good piece of advice I heard recently was to take time to write 800 or so word pieces of anything, scenery, events. Just make sure you write something moving. Give it to someone to read and if the work doesn’t invoke in them the emotion you want, try again until it does.

For me, I’ve always had the issue of not being able to write large amounts for something. It may be my engineering way of thinking, but when someone writes 2 paragraphs, I can usually explain the same thing in 2 sentences, without really losing anything. Writing concisely is useful, but isn’t always good when you want to make a narrative.

One way I’ve gotten better at writing more is by making characters for stories. Having bio pages (especially for anime-style characters) lets me write about specific traits/abilities/etc. The crazier an ability is, the more I would need to say in order to explain it properly.

I guess this would also fall under writing more often. (More character bios means more practice to write something).

I know that a lot of people are afraid to use tropes and cliches as they write. That’s not as good an idea as you might think. Use them, but put your own creative twists on them.

3 Likes

Some of you may be familiar with the term “meta-gaming” in RPs. Essentially meta-gaming means knowing what every other character does or thinks even if yours doesn’t, and making your character know this info (I don’t know if there’s a term for this in writing or not). What I’m trying to say is don’t “meta-game” while you write, I have seen this in stories on the internet, and if you pay attention you can notice it before you post the story. This does kind of tie back into what Bendy_Tiger said about prequels, but on a smaller scale.

how do i do an idea

Often it just comes to you. From my experience you can’t manufacture them.

The best way to generate more ideas, however, is watching movies, reading books, basically consuming stories. Even talking to people about ideas helps make them too.

4 Likes

u do dem in u imagine

What @Chronicler said

1 Like

The best ideas come to you in a dream or when you are taking a bath.

4 Likes

Go to reddit, find r/writingprompts

1 Like

@Chronicler
@EmperorDuckie
@Leoxander
@Runa

Thanks for the help guys, I have officially thinked an idea

2 Likes

Ftfy.
———————————————————

I’m working on a story about a brainwashed corporate assassin-esque character. Tips?

Gotta give more context than that, Is is “brainwashed but sort of knows it” or “completely brainwashed” or “finds out throughout the story that they’re brainwashed”

There’s layers maaaaan, layers.

Unaware. Eventually he slowly finds out, seeing that it’s not the norm to be a murderer, and sides with the opposite side.

A good general rule is that you don’t write something that assumes or implies the reader knows more than the character. You want to take people on an adventure, so unless one of the first things that happens is the character finds out they’re brainwashed, you have to make it seem like Corporate Assassin is an entirely reasonable and normal career choice in that world, right up until the moment the character realizes it isn’t.

5 Likes

Oooh good idea

That’s hard advice to hear sometimes because I don’t always like to read, but when I do read it was only for my schoolwork.

So that’s going to be something that I may need to work on the most, reading for no other reason. Since I have spare time this summer I may have to take the time to read a good fiction book.

In its simplest forms, Art is simply imitation of styles and themes. If you aren’t reading, you can’t write.

It sounds harsh to say, sure, but the fact of the matter is that if you aren’t reading then you aren’t figuring out what works and what doesn’t, what kinds of stories you can tell and what kinds of spins on character archetypes you can put out there. Plus, it’s always good to be able to draw inspiration from others works - Lord of the Rings, for example, has been a source of inspiration for virtually every high fantasy story to some degree since it was written.

4 Likes

Well, I have been reading some online serials. It’s an okay start, I guess.