Yellow axles

If LEGO makes axles in all colors (and only use those colored parts in places where they don’t stick out) than I’m fine with them, but if they are going to slowely edge out colorless axles I’m going to really annoyed with them

1 Like

Lego produced a white size 3 axle exclusive to Znap set 3552 Hover Sub. It’s the rarest official recolor of the part and you’re very lucky if you own one. Hopefully lego brings those back for white sets.

1 Like

LEGO is confusing me with their axles lately, there seems to be no method to when they use red or black pins this year, some sets that could use black use red, and others that could get away with red use black. So when it comes to yellow, I have no idea what they’re doing.

3 Likes

Thought I would shed some light on how this works. As you probably will have figured out it is for ease of finding specific elements, to make it easier for the kids to find the right one. If there are any 2m black snaps in a set, the 2m cross axles in it need to be red. This is why 2016 Gali uses a 2m frictionless snap (medium grey) in a place that doesn’t need the rotation, allowing for the use of a 2m black cross axle.

As far as the yellow and red axles go, if there are more than 2 different lengths of axle in a set, it makes it much easier to find if they are all different colors. This makes for a much smoother building experience. Of course, we realize that the colors can ruin the aesthetic of a set or a color scheme, which is why we try to work around it, like with 2016 Gali. It is just not always possible.

5 Likes

“We”? Do you work at lego?

3 Likes

Very interesting! I hope Eljay heared that.

1 Like

Correct! I am the designer that was borrowed from Mindstorms to help create the JTO Makuta combiner.

5 Likes

Can you tell us the real reason why Bionicle was cancelled, please?

1 Like

I am sorry, I cannot give you any more details than our PR voices have already given you. As a fan, all I am here to do is engage in the community and clarify what info I can, like sharing more images of models and explaining some of our product development.

6 Likes

Well there’s got to be something you can tell us.

Can you give us a hint if there will be any other constraction line in the future beside Star Wars? Even a simple “Yes” or “No” as answer would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Isn’t this getting a little off topic?

@Ekimu, Sorry guys, those kind of questions are off limits. As a designer, all I can really talk about is the design process in broad strokes.

@Mrblackpants, you are right. Did not mean to derail.

3 Likes

Can we make a topic for this? Like an “Ask an insider” topic or something.

You’d probably have to ask a mod, and I’m sure @toothdominoes would also need permission for a q&a topic

1 Like

Yes, I wouldn’t ask anything about lego’s future unless @toothdominoes brings it up. I’m sure he can’t say much, and try not to bug him.

1 Like

Fair enough.

And what designing process can you share with us? The One for the Makuta Combiner or there is more?

@Lewa_Nuva We don’t know if he was among the designers who designed the new Star Wars sets. Plus keep in mind, that now he was talked about Bionicle. Star Wars as a theme is licenced so I assume, there could be different building techniques which allow a the sets to look more accurate.

1 Like

@toothdominoes, thank you for clearing that up but there’s also K-2SO that comes to mind who uses both red and black pins for his forearms, they’re literally next to each other. It’s not like it’s a big issue but I wonder what’s the official explanation behind that.

@Ekimu, Lego designers aren’t really allowed to disclose information about future lines. Answering such questions could actually get him into trouble.

4 Likes

As @Lewa_Nuva said, sadly, this topic would probably end up being a long list of me apologizing for not being able to answer the questions. Thanks Lewa_Nuva

When I have the time, I keep an eye out on these forums for questions I can actually answer.

K-2SO is something I was thinking about myself as well. I have not bothered to dig deeper into it yet.

@Ekimu, as far as constraction goes, I just worked on the JTO combiner, it is also one of few thing out there that I made that I can currently talk about. : p When I talk about the design process, I am talking about general things.

2 Likes