2059: Big in Japan (Signups)

I’m pretty sure that it’s the GM’s job to enforce this rule

1 Like

It’s not about the OPness of the character, it’s about how awful it is. I’ve started my breakdown, but I’ve still got a while to go. My intent is to improve the character’s description, and hopefully add to the collective Who knowledge of all involved.

Explain!

I’m still writing my far-too-detailed analysis of your character application. There’s a lot to break down, and a lot to research. Most of it I’ve already been over before, but not in a while, and I don’t do things by half-measures. Not stuff related to Who, anyway. The main issue so far is the description of the TARDIS, and I hope to have a better suggestion when I’m finished. Which, hopefully, should be within a few hours. I can’t focus entirely upon it though, I’ve got other stuff I need to do in the meanwhile.

Alright, six-hundred and thirty three words later…

Few hours he says…

Name: Unknown. This is accurate.
Alias: The Doctor, many more. Also accurate.
Alliance: Hero. Kriffing right.
Powers/abilities: Has a screwdriver that can unlock anything - This is where I start to take issue. There’s a lot on the Screwdriver, both in regards to the history and functionality of the piece. I’m mostly going to ignore the history, focusing on the functionality. The sonic screwdriver was first seen in Fury from the Deep in 1968, where it was used to unscrew some screws. In subsequent uses up to the modern era, it has had all multitude of functions, the vast majority of which can be classified under “tech-magic.” It functions as a scanner, a firestarter, a hacking tool, a medical tool, a pair of bolt-cutters, and all other forms of miracles. I’m personally of the opinion that it’s overpowered and a glorified magic wand, and that the decision to destroy it in 1982 was probably the correct one. The sonic works according to the Power of Plot - new powers are added as story demands, often to get the Doctor and co out of corners the writers wrote themselves into.

Teleporting blue box that can take him anywhere - this is easily one of the worst descriptions of the TARDIS I’ve ever seen. Honestly… I’m not entirely sure where to start with this. The entirety of that sentence is just incorrect on an absurd amount of levels. Let’s just go through it word by word, and I do have to.

Teleporting - The TARDIS does not teleport. It doesn’t even transmat. I’m not going to fully go into detail in how the TARDIS travels, I don’t have the patience, but comparing teleportation to travel through the Time Vortex is akin to comparing a Stirling Engine to a full Dyson Sphere. The difference of technological requirement is insane, and I’m not even factoring TARDIS technology into the equation.

Blue Box - I don’t have the willpower to explain the specifics of the Dimensional Cabinet, but suffice to say, “blue box” is an extraordinarily lacking description of it. The Doctor’s TARDIS’s outer shell poorly resembles a British Police Telephone box (I say poorly because of all the different variations of the prop and how they’ve changed over the years, see the links down at the bottom for more information,) as dictated by the faulty Chameleon Circuits of the Type 40. In regards to the Chameleon Circuit, I think it’s reasonable to assume that the Block-Transfer Equations making up the Cabinet memetically convert the exterior into the object it is described at, on a fundamental level.

That can take him anywhere - Again, I don’t think it’s worth the effort to go through every example where the TARDIS is unable to go to a location, and I suspect that the fourth-dimensionality will barely be used in this RP, but a more accurate rewording of this section of the sentence would be “that can travel to almost anywhere and anywhen.” I suspect that exact phrasing has been used at least once, somewhere within Who lore. Probably one of the VNAs.

Appearance - this is a nice looking dude. Sweet suit. Bit bland for the Doctor, needs a dash more colour somewhere, but it’s just a image of a model from a clothes site. No complaints here really.

Personality/Bio: The Doctor is a 900 year old time lord from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of kasterborous, he is an intelligent hero who travels through time - Judging by his appearance, and your statement about his age, this is an alternate Tenth Doctor. Or Ninth. Kasterborous is capitalised, and is located near the centre of the Mutter’s Spiral Galaxy, also known as the Milky Way. Intelligent, yes, hero, yes, I’d also add lucky there too.

Useful links for Who-related research:
A pretty exhaustive compendium of information in regards to the lore of the TARDIS’s functions.
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis

Probably the largest collection of information upon Gallifrey, the Time Lords, and the Great Houses, to be found on Sol 3.
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html

Almost all information upon the physicalities of the TARDIS props can be found in these forums, as well as a stupendous amount of custom TARDISes.
http://tardisbuilders.com

Before we get to screeching about Who canon, I provide these two sources:
https://www.paulcornell.com/2007/02/canonicity-in-doctor-who/
https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Tardis:Canon_policy
The first is a fantastic essay upon canonicity within Doctor Who, written by Paul Cornell, an author with much experience working within the Who universe.
The second is the TARDIS Data Core’s official policy upon canon, and I recommend a look at the valid sources page as well.

4 Likes

Thanks for this! :grin::gregf:
I also know some parts are pretty inacurate, I have edited the post, is it better @TichePotato ? And should he think he ended the time war since this is a ninth doctor?

Much better. And honestly, I’m super conflicted on that issue. I’ve written and rewritten this post like six times now. But the idea that has been at the core of five of those has been this - what if the Time War wasn’t ended?

And then I get into the variations. This is already an alternate Doctor. Why not an alternate War? A Time War where all the Time Wars seeped together. The Doctor managed to ride the edges, and the War was mostly fought as a sort of cold war, except in a… proportionally small amount of areas. Still billions upon billions upon billions of dead, even more retro-causally erased, but in the grand scheme of things, most of the universe’s history was left mostly untouched. The Doctor managed to avoid the War. He never crashed on Karn, never failed to save Cass, never drank the Sisterhood’s Elixir. I’ll leave the details of him regenerating from McGann into your version up to you, this is your character. And everything I’m suggesting here is just that - a suggestion.

In regards to who the War was fought between, I imagine that elements of the Second War in Heaven, the Last Great Time War, the Black Sun War, the wars of Gallifrey establishing dominance over the Spiral Politic, the war fought to establish the Spiral Politic in the first place, and so many more, would all seep together, with Remote fighting Sontarans, posthumans battling Daleks and Yssgaroth, etc etc.

1 Like

Name: Amaterasu

Titles: Origin of all that is good and Mother to us all.

Alliance: Goddess

Generation: Older than the Old-Timers.

Powers/abilities: Control over fire, and ability to create Holy Fire, has domain over the sun, can transform into a white wolf, wields a flaming disk that can be used as a weapon or a shield, oversized flaming rosaries she can use as a whip or projectiles, and a dark colored sword, said to be pulled from the tail of a dead dragon. She can also use something known as the Celestial Brush

Appearance:
In goddess form:

(roughly)
In wolf form, she looks like a normal white wolf. However, a few with divine spirit or blessing can see her true wolf form, which looks like:

Personality/Bio: She is good-natured and wholesome, benevolent, and loving, trying her best to solve things peacefully, if she can.
However, she’s not afraid to attack with the fury of a thousand suns if she needs to. On top of that, though, she can sometimes be a bit hotheaded and somewhat easy to distract.

1 Like

Accepted. Join anytime.

1 Like

Well then

I mean…

…that’s literally what Ammy is.

1 Like

Uhh[quote=“Mctoran, post:1, topic:48953”]
Godmodding
[/quote]

Okay then

UH OH

1 Like

NOT IF I DO IT FIRST!

Name: Iovah
Alias: Jehova, God, Zeus, Allah, many more
Alliance: Himself
Generation: Old-Timers
Powers/abilities: can create anything, knows everything
Appearance:

Personality/Bio: A long time ago, God created the universe, it took him only seven days, but after he did that he got pretty bored, he’s trying to come with a new bible but doesn’t know what to write, even god himself suffers from writer’s block…

Name: Lucifer
Alias: Beelzebab, the demon, the devil, Hades,Satan and many more
Alliance: Villain
Generation: Old-Timers
Powers/abilities: creates fire, has four horseman who he sends to battle, has infinite armies of skeletons, can grant wishes but you have to pay your soul, controls souls he gets, owns the necromicon
Appearance:

Personality/Bio: The devil was the definition of evil, now all he ever seems to do is play poker with the grim reaper, some say his days of villainy are over but Lucifer one day hopes to rule over heaven and hell and be the master of life and death

My problem with this is that it’s too OP. You can’t just had God himself included in this RP. That’s ludicris!

1 Like

Sing me a song, you’re a singer…

1 Like

Okay

Tension is rising
Graaaaavity hurts
Everything’s falling apart
Yeaaaaaaaah
Choosing the right side
Chooooooosing our fate
Choosing is what we must do
Everyone’s counting on you

1 Like

FOR FREEDOM WE RISE!

LEARN TO FLY, REACH THE SKY!

I am both disappointed, but yet not surprised.

1 Like

You told me to sing, I sung my favourite song