Ant-Man!

I’m having trouble getting hyped for this movie. I just am not able to get into the story. However, I’ll see it in theaters and will doubtlessly enjoy it.

1 Like

I’m still gonna see it, too. :smiley:

I’ve been waiting for this film to come out for a while. Now it’s finally coming out!

1 Like

James Gunn said he liked it as much as Iron Man and Guardians, so that might mean something. However, I got a million dollars from Marvel, I’d say anything they do is great.

1 Like

Never cared much about Ant-Man before, but the trailer they’re showing at the cinema looks pretty good. Might be worth a watch after all.

1 Like

I’ll be watching it when I get the chance.

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/ZSO78Wz.jpg

Really liking the villains suit more than the heroes

4 Likes

Ant-Man’s suit is supposed to look like it was built in the 60’s. This new one is supposed to look like it’s modern technology.

1 Like

Apparently Hank Pym and Scott Lang (Spoiler Alert!) have equal time as Ant-Man

Ant-Man;
No way I can talk about this one without film spoilers… so yeah… only read if you don’t mind those;

Those even vaguely familiar with this movie's development know that this film went through an insane amount of writers changes - Edgar Wright being the most noticeable and where most the film feels like it came from. When the film opens with cameos from Howard Stark and Peggy Carter you know exactly what this movie is trying to be. Similar to how the Avengers was the culmination of phase 1, Ant-Man attempts to be the culmination to Phase 2. Though unlike the Avengers, the progression is not logical with cameos shoved into the film and forcing in three comedy relief characters (Only one does something even remotely funny) however they spend the first act of the movie essentially establishing these 'criminals' are more like Robin Hood - just with even more handicaps such as destroyed marriages, deaths, etc... In essence we open to him leaving jail for essentially distributing a companies stolen money back to the people they exploited it from. As such there is no redemption storyline, Scott Lang isn't some hardened criminal, he's just a guy trying to help who doesn't follow the rules. I suppose the fact that Scott Lang is trying to find work after being imprisoned funny, or that his estranged wife (Who obviously still loves him and wants him) has decided to go with someone else.Unfortunately that's just not funny, its downright boring seeing the film pad out the runtime until his wife finally tells him to knuckle up and pay her otherwise he cant see the daughter (Though its phrased differently in the film to make those not paying attention think its a cute speech about how he should be the hero) Which essentially forces Scott into doing crimes so he can see his daughter again... congratulations estranged wife, you convinced the guy you obviously still love to do illegal things to satisfy your desire for money you obviously don't need because your new unlikeable lover is a cop and your daughter is spoilt rotten with a party with more people than the disco going on in another scene. So Scott does a crime, stealing the Ant-Man suit in an 'ok' scene where he uses his smarts to get a fingerprint along with freezing and explode a door. Does anything like this happen again throughout the entire film in order to demonstrate his criminal skills that he was hired by Hank Pym to use? Nope. Long amount of exposition later (including a Wasp flashback) he is hired by Pym to break in and steal the Yellowjacket suit. At this point the villain of the film goes even more nuts than usual to the extent he becomes more like the Riddler from Batman Forever - including shooting several of his own people accidentally and deciding to work with Hydra... because they had to appear somehow I guess otherwise it wouldn't tie in to Captain America; The Winter Soldier In order to make sure you remember to go see Civil War we even have a cameo from Falcon who Ant-Man fights earlier on in the film in a very forgettable and rather difficult to follow fight scene that occurs because the two have to fight it out rather than even bother trying to talk it out. Granted Ant-Man explains it is to save the world, but seriously its just a forced fight to give a highlight to what was probably the middle of the film. After an interrupted fight with Yellowjacket, Yellowjacket prepares to kill Scott's daughter. For some reason he didn't go after the wife also. Either way Ant-Man does the thing that seemingly killed the original Wasp and kills Yellowjacket to save his daughter. Its a fairly bland fight filled with lots of size shrinking and growing, but its just not engaging because there is inter-spliced comedic characters and moment where the action is difficult to follow. We get what could be a touching scene as Hank Pym realises that travel to the quantum realm is possible and heads off to likely get the suit you see on the Lego set (And I guess the flashback?) however stumbles across Hope and Scott kissing, because the movie wanted to make the two a couple despite the only conversation they being where he explains he has a daughter? Thus ends Ant-Man... but wait... there's more. We finally see Hank Pym decide to give Hope the new Wasp outfit hinting at her appearing in the future. Then to make sure you don't forget about Captain America; The Winter Soldier we suddenly discover that Captain America and Falcon have found Bucky/The Winter Soldier.That's right, the thing that was teased to be the next Captain America movie's plot is just used for an after-credits scene on a bland film such as this... congrats. So by now you can probably tell I didn't particularly enjoy this movie, and I should probably explain one of the main reasons why that is; THE LACK OF JOKES. Tons of the good humour from the trailers and TV spots is completely missing, the jokes about the Ant-Man name are gone, the reference to Iron Man is put into a serious context to explain Hank's motives for wanting Scott Lang rather than the Avengers. This film is a 2 hour snooze fest with very few highlights. The feel of this movie is all over the place, we have people and animals being turned into goop minute and the next we have a tragic backstory about the same thing happening to Wasp. We have a political plotline of the original Ant-Man fighting enemies and then we have a tank key ring introduced solely for a boring escape scene. The entire movie is one long massive demonstration of why Wasp is better than Ant-Man, not only the old versions, but also the new versions. Hope should have been the main character of this film, she progresses the plot and she has already mastered all the ant-telepathy powers along with being skilled. It felt like it was teasing the audience with what they could have had. For a film that is trying to be the end of phase 2 and the start of phase 3 via introducing different realms, this makes me not want to see more. The realm ideas are interesting concepts on paper, but the portrayal on film was an absolute mess (Both underdeveloped and underutilised) several plot threads seem like they were dropped, the villain is one-dimensional and his motives change through the film. The actors are all alright, but what they've been told to do is just plain silliness with tonal shifts all over the place. The music is generic or Mexican inspired stuff that doesn't fit and all the unique concepts are rushed or wasted completely on a short scene that goes nowhere. I'd have to say this was my least favourite MCU film, with the main reason being that it was boring. Something I never thought I'd ever say about an MCU film. While The Incredible Hulk was a mess, it at least was trying to do something other than serve as a Tony Stark cameo. This film is just cameos and blandness, good concepts but underdeveloped or bizarre execution resulting in weak story and an overly disappointed viewer.

(Please excuse typo’s or missing words, kind of dead after watching)

They don't... I have no idea what happened to be honest as I'd heard stuff like that also, yet Hank Pym appears as Ant-Man for one flashback (Along with barely visible security cam footage) and that's it :/
1 Like

I have opposite thoughts on the movie.

From the trailer, I thought that it was going to be exactly what you say it was. A bland movie that didn’t live up to its potential at all. Yet, I thought it did an excellent job with pretty much everything. First off, I found the final fight anything but bland. It was an epic fight that wasn’t like anything in the MCU. We have things growing and shrinking around them, and they’re constantly changing size. It’s exactly what I wanted from the fight, and it’s awesome. As for the cameos and Avengers characters, I felt like they did a good job integrating them. IT didn’t seem forced in at all to me. The revalation that the “old warehouse” had been turned into the new Avengers headquarters was actually really well done. Also, as this scene is where the Ant-Man name joke would’ve been, I’ll talk about that here. That joke was awful. It’s dumb and unnecessary. Would’ve felt like a Cartoon Network joke. I am so glad it was removed. The jokes that were in it, with the exceptions of whatever the three stooges said (honestly, I’m not sure how three racial stereotypes got into this movie) were on point, especially the other ones in the Falcon scene. The funniest part of the movie was by far whenever they experimented with growth. The “It’s not a keychain” moment is by far my favorite part of the movie. All in all, I think they did an excellent job with this movie and I can’t wait for Civil War

2 Likes

I just watched the movie and it’s hilarious! Especially the mexican guy’s lines :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, it just as mentioned a lot of jokes were removed. I’m still seeing new TV spots appear showing different jokes that were not in the movie and feeling they trimmed some of the good stuff.

The helicopter fight for example, we don’t see him put on the Yellowjacket suit, he’s just there. No mask closing or any of that trailer stuff

I think it helps emphasise the stereotype point that Cal made if we don’t even remember the guys name, only that he was Mexican, despite being 2nd focus for a majority of the film :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Luis.
And I haven’t even seen the movie yet.

2 Likes

holy crap

this movie was gud

Luis was freaking hysterical, Scott was great, Hank was cool

awesome reference to certain character, just a really good movie

2 Likes

My friend, how is mexican (he prefers that to latino or hispanic), loved him in it.
He said he was his cousin.

1 Like

I personally loved this movie. Sad to see that we won’t see Janet Van Dyne was Wasp, but at least we got a really good Ant-Man movie.

1 Like

I really enjoyed this movie. The humor is on par, if not better than Guardians of the Galaxy. The effects are great, and I love the suit designs.

3 Likes

I can agree with all these points.

Also, I guess they used CGI to make Michael Douglas look younger for the opening scene? It was done pretty well, because it looked so real to me!

(Also, hyped to see Hope Van Dyne as the WASP! Honestly, because she’s comedic and she’s such a good fighter, I can see her as the Wasp.)

3 Likes

at this point, don’t think she’ll be in civil war, probably infinity war though, that spiderman reference though

1 Like

I’m going to see the movie on Satuday! I can’t wait!

1 Like