Axonn's Silvers? FLAT SILVER or PEARL LIGHT GREY?

So I have a 2nd hand copy of Axonn that was initially incomplete, and I noticed that according to the Bricklink it had certain PLG parts that I may have had in FS. Now maybe the original owner just replaced missing parts with FS parts from the Toa Nuva or something, but looking at other inventories there’s slight variation like this part actually in FS, including BrickOwl, which has several of the silver parts in alternate groups of FS and PLG. So maybe despite Bricklink not listing it, Axonn had alternate releases of the silvers?

Also I may have a problem distinguishing PLG and certain FS that’s like of cheaper production quality or something. Is it the mold patterns in the silver or something that can differentiate the two?

One additional thing to note is that, as far as I know, the Bricklink sellers list the color of the piece when they post it, meaning that two identical parts could be described as being different colors, depending on the seller. They may not actually be different at all.

Axonn is pearl light gray, at least in the version I have. That color is noticeably duller and more “washed out” than the other silvers. Flat silver is either the darker color that Hero Factory introduced for the 2.0’s or the very slightly lighter color that most of the old school BIONICLE sets from 03-05 used. Bricklink classifies the older silver and current silver together as the same color even though they are different.

As a general rule, I would try to see if Axonn’s nuva armor is the same color as his axe blades and mask. If it is, it’s probably the right silver.

This chart should also help clear things up. For instance, the Gahlok Kal shield on the left is old school flat silver and the one on the right is pearl light gray. The Av-Matoran jetpack above the pearl light gray GK shield is current flat silver and the one on the left is pearl light gray.

And if that wasn’t confusing enough, there’s another silver bricklink lists as “Metallic Silver” that appears in BIONICLE twice in the Muaka & Kane-Ra set and an accessory tub. More recently it has reappeared in the lightsaber hilt in the Finn Buildable Figure. It’s common in technic vehicles but that’s a completely different discussion.

Then there’s yet another silver known as “Chrome Silver” which is easy to identify since it’s a reflective paint over a solid color. This color only appears in BIONICLE in the Chrome Hau from the Powerpack.

8 Likes

Which set had that delicious '09 hand?

It says, Bulk 1.0. But each copy only included one. The other was his prefab hand, arm and oversized blaster mold.

3 Likes