BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

But did it really have a chance? Or would lego realise that bonkle doesn’t equal profit???

1 Like

It doesn’t if they don’t advertise it except to the BIONICLE fanbase.

1 Like

LEGO brought back an old theme, and said to the fans “pssh hey, the theme is back, go buy it again but dont tell anyone else that it’s back”

how did they expect to sell?

1 Like

I reckon if ninjago had been cancelled and then not revived until next year then it would be the same deal. Kids would be AT LEAST 3 years older, so they would either ignore it or remember it and be like us, and the younger kids wouldn’t have any idea what it was, and we’d probably end up in the same situation

I doubt Bionicle will return, however if it does, i expect it’ll not be targetted at the same audience and will probably change focus yet again.

They no longer really have a market for releasing the Mask Of Ultimate Power or Mask Of Time commercially given they’ve been made on shapeways. They could release them as a polybag, but the theme is over so it would’nt advertise anything - which is normally the goal of polybags.

They could release the set instructions for Makuta, but we’ve already built the Ultimate Makuta and the Combo model Makuta. The only one left is the ‘Throne’ Makuta made by a fan/intern which likely didnt get instructions created before it was disassembled or given to the fan/intern.

They could release a final Makuta set as a combo model pack, but the price of such a set would be too large to justify for many fans and it would be unlikely to be taken into stores given how most Bionicle sets have become shelf warmers.

They could show off early prototypes and designs for 2017, however they may recycle these designs into whatever is going to replace Bionicle in the future.

###So basically they have nothing left logically G2 related they can release other than potentially art

Pretty much this, what happened with Bionicle G2 could happen with any wave and easily could happen with Ninjago if the current canon is replaced with the new movie version. It boils down to having a very devoted fanbase, leaving them with nothing and/or taken away the source and then giving them something different that initially doesnt live up to the quality.

To be fair, BZPower are basically trying to stay in Lego’s pocket regarding getting access to sets and potentially news updates before anyone else. Even if there was confirmation of a potential revival of a theme, they would’nt be able to say anything without risking losing the relationship they have with Lego - which is why they denied G2 for quite a while only to announce they were aware of it, but unable to say anything.

2 Likes

Another winner recieves their art book, encased in a layer of good 'ol bub-wrap!

10 Likes

…that looks like the same exact photo as BZP.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOaTGzLDUJB/?taken-by=bzpgram

11 Likes

Image is identical, even down to the individual bubble wrap bubbles which have been pushed in or burst when opening. Sorry, but its the same image as Crunchy said.

6 Likes

Long live HF.

1 Like

wow yeah that’s really weird how similar they look. anywho, my artbook came in the mail today too!

https://scontent-dft4-2.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15624954_1208435042525833_2756940224561938432_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTQxMjUyNTQ2MzI4MDg5NDUyOQ%3D%3D.2

17 Likes

Can you scan the pages so that the rest of the community may enjoy in the artwork?

1 Like
Summary

I don’t have an artbook, that post was the jokes

3 Likes

Yes he can! Just wait a little bit for BZPower to coincidentally get their scans out a little before he puts his out.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the helpful reply :smiley:

Lul’s aside… i sadly must announce that the Bionicle G2 comics appear to be cancelled.

Issue 2 came with no announcement for an issue 3. The store’s online list only listed two issues with no more planned. I’ve contacted the number given to me by the store, but they are unaware of any future issues despite originally being told of four.

I’ve been trying to chase it up further, but it seems that the comics are dead now. It was always unlikely they would fullfill the four comics and the ending of the second comics seems like it was a rushed cancellation.

…this wasn’t confirmed already? The line is dead Scar. They confirmed that months ago.

9 Likes

No, fans of G1 Bionicle, Chima, Hero Factory and more know its silly to think all media for a theme would stop because the line ends. All had media that continued for months after the themes ending.

Up until late November/Early December distributors were still mentioning that the third and fourth comic were going to be released. This was many months after the official announcement and it would normally be expected that people distributing media for Bionicle would be aware of it being cancelled.

The store that i brought it from in November even called the distributor up and got confirmation that all four issues would be released. There would be no reason they would lie about the cancellation of the comics five months after the cancellation of the line and the release of the second issue over thirty days prior.

This is a big thing because distributors are often paid based on the idea of them distributing a certain amount of things and the stores i spoke with were contracted into a four-issue mini-series, of which they will now only recieve two. I’m not sure how contracts work in regards to cancellations, but Lego is likely going to lose more money on cancelling the comic rather than just limiting the release.

The line’s death on its own doesnt mean the end of the comics, many comics have survived long past the end of the series they were based on. Action Man’s original comic series ran for several years after the toys were no longer produced - and in a similar situation to Bionicle, when the A.T.O.M TV series was cancelled, the comics ended up running for a full year afterwards.

The second issue for example was released four-to-five months after the cancellation and the comics themselves were primarily reprints of the graphic novel so a minimal amount of new content was required - so it was highly likely they would be released especially given they were still selling from the records i was shown.

====

Considering that the comics were the last piece of Bionicle media - and that they were the last remaining possibility for the line to release additional masks or sets given they were released with primarily recycled content from the graphic novels with the addition of a small set. The effective confirmation now that they dont appear to have any plans to release them is effectively the death of any hope for a release of any additional masks or polybag sets.

2 Likes

If they can’t advertise the line right I doubt they’ll continue the comics.

1 Like

True, it was doubtful it would have continued. Though cancelling a comic series that was primarily reprinting the graphic novel and splitting it (so people paid the full price of the novel for about 1/4 of the story) meant it was earning Lego more than the graphic novel which is still on sale in some places. They would’nt have even needed to add polybag sets and they could have sold the final two issues and made some of the money back that they spent on Bionicle.

in regards to people’s though that the web site info is just another inconsistensy of the G2 story, i think this might explain some things:

https://twitter.com/TommyAndreasen/status/811582127355625472

basicly, it would appeare that the website writers might not follow the story that the story writers have written, meaning that most if not all of the info we see on the website might actualy have been made up.

Now, im not sure if this means the same for Bionicle given that Tommy was answering about a Legends of Chima related question, but its highly possible that it might also be true for Bionicle too.

2 Likes