BIONICLE 2017 Speculation Topic

why not making vehicles with normal sized sets?

the price would be higher than the minifigures with vehicles, but oh well…

2 Likes

Lego was “stupid” enough to release The same heroes as smaller $10-$12 sets after them being released as $15 or more

Examples being:
BA Breez ($15 -> $10), BA Stormer ($20 -> $13) and BA Rocka ($13 -> $10)
From their Breakout forms.

“Lego would never do something like this to my precious Bionicle, nobody cared about Hero Factory!”

4 Likes

Around the total cost estimate of all the stars. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

LEGO also listens to fan criticism very often, and some of the largest criticisms they’ve received these past two years are based on small sets (primarily the $15 ones) lacking any real identity or variation while also missing the overall quality that the 2015 and 2016 Toa had. Going even lower in quality would just hurt their sales.

4 Likes

Yea. It always seems like Onua or Tahu always comes out as “the best set of the wave”, and usually it’s Lewa or Pohatu who get the short end of the stick.

So in your opinion feelings should override Lego’s business?
They dropped the value of Ninjago more than 60%, Bionicle is doing much worse than Ninjago at the time, the demand is lower than Hero Factory which is confirmed by the fact the sales are restricted to only chosen retailers.

Furthermore, the designer team isn’t the one that decides the budget for the wave.
It is the first thing Lego decides and then the designer team begans the work around that chosen budget.

so, according to you, LEGO will not only slash Bionicle’s budget to the minimum, but also no doupt have less sets, and have all of the Bionicle sets be downscaled and at the same time, forced into nostalgia by using forced on copies of their G1 mata weapons to milk whatever revenough LEGO can get from the “Doomed” Bionicle theme.

you do know that with that in mind, it just means that LEGO might as well not even have a 2017 summer wave, or even a 2017 wave at all if its selling that bad, and instead just end it with one tiny polly bag set… that will no doupt be a Russian exlusive as LEGO’s way to say “we are sorry Russian fans, we screwed up”.

3 Likes

Why would more nostalgia equal worse sales?

If I knew the product I’m making has struggles and after that they pull the plug why on earth I wouldn’t try to make it sell as good as I can with the limited resources I have been given.

because nostalgia does not mean better sales, infact nostalgia might instead rub fans away, because they would feel that its just taked on or that LEGO have given up on Bionicle and is now just milking it for whatever money they can get from nostalgic fans, which would be bad for both sides, the new fans would not like this down grading given how G2 have looked in the past, and old fans would not like the forced nostalgic tone which could easly be re-read as a “we don’t care about Bionicle, so we are now just cashing in on this sinking ship with nostalgia”

If your idea is what Bionicle would end on, it would not be an end that would be fondly rememberd, but an end that would make many feel unhappy with LEGO’s threatment of Bionicle.

simply put, Nostalgia do not a good set make.

Because for the newer generation who didn’t grow up with G1, they don’t have any nostalgia to draw from.

2 Likes

You are talking it in a way that Bionicle has huge fanbase that when left would plunge Lego into crisis.

We are not talking about many people here. Bionicle is a niche, even more niche than what Hero Factory was when it got it’s disastrous ending.

and you still keep on saying that Nostalgia alone will help in getting more sets sold? no, it won’t.

as i said, Nostalgia won’t help, and downsizeing the sets will just hurt G2 even more, its as if you really want G2 to be forced in becoming more G1-ish before Bionicle is canseld, as if you want LEGO to just release updated versions of the G1 toa, not because it will help Bionicle’s sales, but because you personaly want those sets.

oh and as you youreslf said:

again, the fans will not like Nostalgia if its just used as a last hope to get people to buy something that, as you just said, is selling incredibly poorly.

It would just show how desperate LEGO would be at making money of their “foolish reboot of Bionicle”.

There is no guarantee nostalgia would result in better sales, you are right on that. But you can’t claim the opposite either.

But concerning the possible pricepoint, I am the only one here giving numbers and stats, which by business in general mainly runs by. Lego isn’t treating G2 like it’s something special, you should had realized that by now.

yeah, but if what your saying is true then this is how LEGO would have treated Bionicle:

"So as you all can see from the chart, Bionicle have only made us 50,000 dollars… All those in favor to end Bionicle right now say aya.

“Aya Aya Aya Aya Aya”

“all opposte”

“Nay”

“its settled, we are Canseling Bionicle right now”

and no, the three year run does not hold water, because no company would seriously wish to continue a poorly selling toy theme until it finely ends, if its selling really poorly, more so if LEGO could just save money by not continuing it.

Like you said, LEGO is a business, so they should not even care about what anyone of us say about their themes, and given how few Non-lisenced Themes there are now, just shows that LEGO might soon in the future stop making Non-licensed themes and instead just continue making lisenced themes, especialy when they make more money that all of the Non-lincesed themes.

1 Like

You say that when they have just launched an incredibly popular in-house theme and granted one of their previous most successful themes evergreen?

And are storming with Friends?

Bionicle lasted for a long time and had an Evergreen status, but in the end it was canseld because its popularity died and was replaced by the replacement theme which you say is selling incredibly poorly.

So why should Ninjago, Nexo Knight and “friends” get a pass? they will be canseld once their popularity dies too, they will not last forever.

LEGO is a business, no matter what you or me will say, any of LEGO’s themes will be canseld once their sales falls down, end of story.

2 Likes

Wait what, 2017 leaks? What is this picture of the Toa you posted? Pls im so confused.

proof of concept that it would be possible to have them all downgraded into sets that are worth ten bucks while being almost equal to the their master height, stirring up controversy if they should do it or not. I just wanted to make them look more fancy by rendering them.

Oh so its nothing official, sigh.
Could work, but sigh its not the a real thing.

Last wave = all sets downgraded?

Sorry, but for me this looks like a…

@GK733 At this point we can just bet. I bet it won’t be a cheapy way to end. If I’m wrong, I’ll easily admit it.

4 Likes