BIONICLE G2 Discussion Topic

thanks

Here’s an errant thought - does anyone else relate to the feeling that G2 feels like it ended so recently? It’s been 5 years since G2 ended, which was the length of time between the end of G1 and the start of G2. But that gap felt like so much longer. To me, the end of G2 still feels like it happened only last year. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older, and years represent less relative time. I went from 8 to 13 between G1 and G2, and I went from 14 to 19 between G2 and now. That’s almost 60% of my life between G1 and G2 compared to only 35% between G2 and now. Anyone else relate to this feeling?

8 Likes

There’s also the fact that G2’s ending hits harder.

G1’s ending felt like a somewhat rushed, but still decently satisfying ending to ten good years. We got the final fight against the big bad, maybe sooner than expected, but it happened. We had tons of great story content, and even had promise of the story continuing through the Story Serials for like a month before Greg lost interest. And to boot, we had the potential for a G2 sometime later: Lego specifically said that they cancelled it so that it wouldn’t decline and they might be able to bring it back.

G2, on the other hand, was a botched ending to 1 1/2 mediocre years. The final “fight” was a laser tug-of-war. There was very little good story content, NO promise of future content. And it ended because it “sold well” – it took the decline they feared it would in 2009. And now, with CCBS deader than Sidorak’s head, there’s little hope for it ever returning; if it does, it will be system.

G1 was like saying goodbye to an old friend when you’re both 85 and dying of old age. G2 was watching your friend get stabbed in a back alley as a kid after you just got to know him.

12 Likes

This is a good comparison

6 Likes

you’re not speaking from experience, right?
nobody must find out what happened to little johnny

4 Likes

interesting concept

So that’s what happened to him…

I agree that g2 feels like it ended harder. They could have at least made some better fighting animations for the characters than just a tug-of-war or blasting stuff with lasers. Like have Tahu duel the Skull warrior or something.

2 Likes

agreed - or having longer episodes centered around each toa
also give them different voice actors - it helps give them more personality

2 Likes

I didn’t realize that it was that bad, having never watched the episodes… Yeah, that’s definitely something that went wrong…

3 Likes

So, Faber just released a video in which he showed more sketches for G2.

Apparently it was supposed to be a continuation/alternate timeline of G1. The mask of time was completed so it could be used to travel into the past. A villain used the mask to travel back in time to mess up the timeline. The Skull Spiders then were basically Visorak or something similar invading Mata Nui to recapture the Matoran after the Great Rescue. Thus the Toa would arrive on a completely changed island of Mata Nui. Also, one of the villains was supposed to ride a dinosaur and hunt the Toa down on their way to the masks (Umarak the Hunter?).

18 Likes

I haven’t watched the video yet, but this poster alone is so ridiculously cool.

11 Likes

The time theme sounds really neat

Biomechanical dinosaur…
What if that’s Marendar on top :open_mouth:

Probably not, but the concept may have originally stemmed from the planned 2010 storyline.

9 Likes

I love how this villain has bone hunter vibes but what we actually got is a bone guy and a hunter guy.

7 Likes

This is something that would have been really cool. If only we could have gotten Axonn and Brutaka versus Umarak the Destroyer…

3 Likes

Disclaimer: I actually liked G2’s sets and story. However, I must say that this sounds so much cooler than what we actually got :sob: It would’ve been a fun, new story that still acknowledged what had gone before. Maybe it would’ve gotten some new fans interested in the old stories. This sounds more like the Star Trek-style reboot that was alluded to at NYCC

11 Likes

That definitely does not sound like a story that would fly by any corporate creative board. Not as sanitized as what we got, for sure.

3 Likes

ngl I think I prefer the G2 we got to this proposed time travel concept

7 Likes

I think it would have been the best way if it had to be connected to G1. But the more I think about it, there would be a lot of problems if continued past the Mask of Light point. Would the Adventures series still be canon, if not, why? Would the story ignore the prequels and skip to Ignition, but how would Ignition be different? Would the story ignore Ignition but then how would that be possible? We already have a timeline where Ignition didn’t happen. And who would ensure that things still make sense in the broader universe? As long as the story is restricted to the island of Mata Nui this works perfectly fine. But expanding past that would cause a major headache.

2 Likes

Or we could have it take place in the Prototype Robot. It’s never explained what its interior was like, and judging by the size, it would have needed similar systems to the GSR. You could then theoretically have in the G2 universe the Prototype Robot is built and works perfectly, so the Great Beings use it rather than Mata Nui to perform their planetary repairs. This would explain any major differences in the terrain and locations used, and would explain why you might have Protectors originally rather than Toa. The Protectors would be Matoran granted Elemental powers but without the level of control or power of the Toa, due to the danger that such power could pose to the Prototype Robot’s systems in the event of a Nova Blast or such.

There would only be a few Makuta due to the lesser size of the robot, and fewer characters would be used, with some groups such as the Dark Hunters possibly not even making an appearance, since the action would all be contained on the “new” Mata Nui.

5 Likes

the scary thought of there being two sets of toa, one mata and one masters…

4 Likes