BIONICLE is Officially Cancelled

Well, there werenā€™t any copyright problem from what I heard. So, nope.

ok, now this is something that i just though of. What if, the reason G2 was canceld was not because it sold unbelivavly poorly, but because the CCBS peices where to expensive to make for LEGO and thus any sales they did get ended up not making back the money they had put into the theme.

now what im saying is that it could be possible that Bionicle G2 and other CCBS lines might have all had the same story.

basicly CCBS as a system was just too expensive and thus it drained much of the money that could have been used for marketing and more, remember that the CCBS peices where made in good quality plastic, compared to G1. But if you all stop and think about it, G1ā€™s sets where for the most part clone sets and also ended up in the later years resiving peices that where made of a lower quality plastic. But it all ended up working in its favor because then the sets where less expensive to make.

so basicly what im saying is that the possible reason for why CCBS sets where canceld and also why they resived so little marketing, was because the sets quality ended up being their downfall because they in the end could not make back the budget they had used for the peices.

so really, that could explain that LEGO was telling the truth about Bionicle G2ā€™s sales, it did sell well, but not enough to make back its budget.

And if LEGO ends up scrapping the CCBS system, that would be proof of my theory, that CCBS was just to expensive to make for LEGO.

7 Likes

I dunno about CCBS itself being expensive, but are trans and metallic pieces more expensive to manufacture than regular ones? Because G2 overused those dramatically.

5 Likes

Actually, trans pieces are cheaper to make than solid coloured pieces, despite the community bumping the price of trans pieces way high.

7 Likes

I said something similar to this, but I got it mixed up.
Most Trans-pieces cost more than solid color, and that was one of the complaint of the sets; they use alot of transparent parts that end up like a glob of crystal and another reason why the sets price increase.

I dont believe its cause of the pieces, its just it didnt sell well as planned in the first year and because of that they started planning the cancellation in 2016 (since they already made all the 2016 sets in 2015 before they ever got any info about how the sales went).

Its not the first time a company was not entirely honest with how things are going within the company, even LEGO, The Twitter quote was damage control, since being too honest about the situation would probably be more harmful to the company than beneficialā€¦Heck they rarely talk directly about a subject so early after it ends due to it being taken too emotionally by followers of the line.

8 Likes

personaly i think its possible that they are telling half-truths, the theme was sellingā€¦ but not enough to make back its budget, thus it became a loss for LEGO and they thus canceld it much earlier, probably also because of how the other CCBS lines did not sell as good, so to them, if Bionicle did not sell enough to make back its budget in 2015, then it would never sell well enough to make back its budget.

1 Like

Christian Faber shared more amazing stuff!

11 Likes

Remember when people thought that this guy was gonna grow up, put on the Vahi, and become a Toa?

Good times.

8 Likes

ā€œYou were the Chosen One!ā€ [/kenobi]

2 Likes

Remember when people thought Bingzak was going to be the 7th Toa of Light. Good times.

5 Likes

I remember when fans were calling Precious Protector Baby ā€œTakuaā€.

5 Likes

I remember when fans thought we were getting a 2017 and a MoUP.
Good timesā€¦

9 Likes

If thereā€™s one good thing we got out of this, itā€™s getting to listen to Var rant on the Podcast about everything we didnā€™t get. :stuck_out_tongue:
I agree with him, of course, but itā€™s always fun to listen to.

9 Likes

Ah yesā€¦I actually hate that part. The yelling, not the talking about what went wrong. Cause you can tell everything nicely without yelling ya know.

1 Like

I really like this theory except for one thing:
If the brand is doing well, but it just costs a lot to make the parts, why not just use different parts? Retconn Bionicle back into a Technic theme. (Iā€™m talking Axalara and Thornatus V9 technic, not Tahu Mata).

I agree that Lego may definitely have been correct when they said the sets sold well. My local TRU is keeping them all in stock, and they seem to be turning over their inventory. (Check for dust on boxes, thatā€™s how you tell.) Also, the Bionicle sets have suffered the TRU premium price increase, while other sets remain at retail price (this implies the sets sell well, otherwise they wouldnā€™t mark up the price).

9 Likes

I think thats really unlikely CCBS should be cheaper if they make less molds and specialized parts compared to G1. Also the reason the parts last longer is the mold not the plastic. Besides this is just speculation and you have no real evidence

4 Likes

Iā€™m totally fine with this.

Yop, there was at one point a time when G2 had limitless storytelling potential. I remember that time. Afew days ago, I listened to the 107th episode of the podcast, released immediately after the first two G2 leaks. It made me sad.

Sigh

For the record, there are different standards of quality for ABS, and TLG has used lower quality versions in the past. This happened with lime green pieces in 2007.

6 Likes

Actually, plastic plays a huge factor. Lego uses an ABS compound that typically can handle stress well. [random Lego rip off like Best Locks] uses the same type of material, but the lower quality plastic makes the parts much more brittle.

Also, Lego doesnā€™t use ABS for translucent parts, they use something different entirely since translucent ABS shatters with stress. Of course, the molds have a playing factor, but the plastic makes an enormous difference.

2 Likes