Brickonicle- My Element Ideas [Characters]

I did address magnetism, although, I did forget about gravity. Then again, if you want to get technical, speed isn’t even really a force, unlike gravity and magnetism, it’s actually the measurement of a force.

That could work.

Understandable.

I am 100% against you here. Mask powers give a unique flavor on each character, making it so that not every Toa of the same element is the same. It also allows for variety of powers that aren’t elemental in nature, things like speed, strength, and shielding, growth, telepathy, etc.

I haven’t actually watched Ninjago and Ninjago TL:DR hasn’t gotten here yet, can someone explain to me what exactly Lloyd’s powers are so I can properly respond to this?

2 Likes

Ah, you want it to fail, masks being collectables would be perfect as not only a succession to the previous generations but also as incentive to buy sets.

And the golden weapons,
And the time blades
And more relevantly nexo powers.

But thanks for explaining my point for me.
Scanning masks into an app would be an incredibly effective way to integrate them as useful collectables. Giving your toa of choice a useful power in-game.

1 Like

Lloyd was declared the Master of Energy when the Ninja went to the tournament of Elements (The year Master Chen was the main bad-guy).

But then you have instances where some mask powers are just contradictory- The Kanohi Garai, for example, the mask of gravity.
I’m not saying to cut out these powers; give them to the rahkshi and/or other baddies so that they are not just swarm enemies. Give them flare. Plus, it would make them more worthy adversaries.

Now when did I ever say I didn’t want Masks to be collectibles? If I remember correctly, I said mask powers.

But 42 masks? Just use Nuva symbols as collectibles, or, as many have mentioned, pieces of one Legendary mask.

Yeah, but what the heck does that mean?

That’s not contradictory, that’s an elemental mask which is crafted from a toa disk, in this case from a toa of gravity.

Enemies already have their own crazy sets of abilities, including some having mask powers, why would you want to give all of the cool other powers to them? Also:

You didn’t address this at all.

4 Likes

so you want collectable masks with no incentive to collect them? Yeah, that’ll work.

I’m not saying we need 42 powers in one year, but giving the sets unique collectables with unique powers is incentive to buy all the sets. IE : nexo powers.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not sure. All I know is he has the power to create green…light? And was dubbed the Ninja of Energy (But only really once).

But then that brings up the question why don’t we have a Mask of Fire, or masks of other elements. Plus some Masks, like the mask of Telepathy worn by Toa Nuju, basically amount no need for some elements (Kind of the reason I’m against having Gravity and as Psionics as elements)

I’m specifically talking about the rahkshi, as those are really the only villains were personalities so far. So, yes I’m saying that bad-guys should have unique powers such as Hunger, Fear, Disintegration, etc. Either way, I don’t want an extreme amount of powers in G3 - 42 rahkshi powers, a plethora of Makuta powers, 16 elements, and mask powers using some of other being’s powers was a crazy decision which got way out of hand. The toa already manipulate their respective elements. The Bad guys should get a handful of powers too (one per each rahkshi, so 6)

(Sorry about not addressing it the first time)
Masks don’t give the characters flavor, Their personalities do.
Jaller had 4 masks: A powerless Komau on Metru Nui, The Hau from Lhikan, the Calix as an Inika, and the Anthron as a Mahri.
Each mask had a different power, and although he could only use 2 of those powers, his character was largely unchanged- Jaller was always loyal, protective, and a leader.
And he was different from other toa of Fire -Tahu was stubborn and brash always, no doubt.
True some of their personality traits overlapped, but the character, as a character, was not affected by the mask power.
Another example would be Ko-Toa/Matoran; ALL of them are cold and refrain from talking (except maybe Matoro, but again, not a mask issue), and generally argue with the Fire and Air beings.

I can deal with legendary masks, like a Mask of Time, I just don’t want an excessive amount.

I’m not against unique collectibles, I just don’t think they should be masks (Another reason is that collectibles sometimes have interesting colors, and using those as armor might not look good. Nexo Knights, Ninjago,etc. use their powers as weapons, not masks).

So if not masks, what do you recommend for collectables?

1 Like

It’s a hard question to answer, as they obviously have to pertain to the story.
But if the story revolves around freeing an island from being frozen in time, or fighting off rahi, one could say weapons. Imagine this, the chosen matoran get a size upgrade, but have no powers. They must find six legendary elemental weapons to unlock their potential. So they must first prove their unity into helping each other get the weapons as the rahi are too powerful to fight one-on-one. (I know it has no electronic gameplay value, but Ninjago always did well, and their collectibles never pertained to any scanning feature for web-games)

It really depends on the direction the TTV take it, though.

If you can’t explain what the power is, you probably shouldn’t have it as a power.

We do. Do we have them in set form? No. But they do exist. Just none of the Canon characters have them.

G1 ran for ten years. And each time they had to expand the world, of course it got out of hand. G1 started out simple but it got more complex over the years. Having elemental masks didn’t cause that, we only ever saw one, time caused that.

My mistake, I meant it adds character to the way they fight.

And each time he fought differently.

2 Likes

Oh,
so Ninjago.

Why not make them masks, one of the defining traits of bionicle is masks, both in g1 and g2, more than weapons, arguably more than elements.

2 Likes

bionicle without masks is like star wars without the force

5 Likes

True, and yet last years of Bionicle had beings with Helmets of no actual elemental significants. If it werent for Mata Nui falling on Bara Magna, you could easly think is another unconnected story ot the Bionicle one.

2 Likes

That’s Ninjago’s problem. You did a fine job of explaining Energy/Speed (and it’s relationship with other elements) in Bionicle!

So, Non-canon characters have them? or did you mean serial characters (As far as I’m aware, No serial Characters have a Mask of Fire, and even if they did, it would defeat the whole point of having an element of fire.)

I’m not saying elemental masks are the problem. I’m saying too many powers is the problem.
(You’re right on that too many years was the problem, though, so, hypothetically, if G3 did well AND included Mask powers, wouldn’t we just get power overload as we did in G1? Yes, yes we would)

You’re right, it does, but more powers mean it’s more like a laser show. It there are less powers, it means more intense battle on-screen, assuming a real G3 would get better funding (Plus, with play-ability, it’s harder for kids (I assume at least) to imagine fights with powers such as Sonar and Re-animation rather than punches)

Jaller fought the same for the first two masks. And the setting being the water for '07 would completely defeat the use of the mask of fate, so of course Lego changed them.
(If you made characters naturally athletic or naturally strong, more-so than others, there would be no-need for a Mask of Fate, or the Pakari)

That would work, as long as they would strive for The Elemental Mask of Fire, that would allow them to use fire, rather than another power, and would actually be of use than the masks in G2. So yeah, elemental Masks would work, in this case.

I think you misunderstood; we have a argument on whether or not Mask Powers should be used. I think everyone wants masks to be included.

Yes, but if you’re going to have masks as collectables they should have unique powers, masks are a part of bionicles identity, they should have a reason for existing other than ‘the other ones had them’ collectable masks with unique powers seems like a great was to integrate them while adding buying incentive.

Have I repeated myself enough times yet?

2 Likes

Except that flames are literally a plasma - an ionised particulate mass.

1 Like

Powerless Matoran would be striving for Masks packed with elemental energy representing their element. Those have powers.
For year 2, the Toa could be striving for the Mask of Time, a legendary mask whose power makes sense as they are trying to free an island from being trapped in time.

Plus, we’ve seen weapons being the collectible work- Ninjago made it work, why can’t it work for Bionicle? They don’t have to be dull either- the Time “blades” work, and they grab your attention, being all translucent.

And for Pete’s sake! We’ve done collectible masks twice already, for both runs of Bionicle. Can’t we do something different, at least for one year?

If mask powers is what you want, then that’s your opinion.
But how would you make them unique enough from G1 to work? Kids might have trouble scanning them for an app, and making them different colors just ruins them being on the character (translucent might work, though).

No, there weren’t ever any characters with them, someone asked Greg about them and that’s how we found out.

My whole explination was that it wasn’t elemental in nature… unless you’re talking about making a Toa of kinetic energy which would not only have the power of being speedy but also would be able to control temperature (as it’s based on kinetic energy) and thus would also have the powers of fire, ice, and plasma as well.

You’ll overload regardless. You have to keep expanding the world the longer you go, otherwise it gets boring. If you don’t have mask powers, then something else would get out of hand.

Not really. It’s only one secondary power per character. Not even all of them are combative. Shielding is purely defensive, and x-ray vision really mixed up a fight because your opponents can’t hide.

Your childhood must have been far less interesting than mine. For me, punching was the least interesting way characters could fight. Never underestimate a child’s imagination.

1 Like

Actually, it’s not. Fire isn’t a mass. It’s the rapid oxidation of material. That’s a common misconception.

3 Likes

It would still defeat the whole purpose of having an element of fire.

There’s a lot of elements that aren’t elemental in nature - gravity’s not an element, nor is magnetism.
It’s your opinion on whether or not Speed would be a good element, but we’ve seen in before:

Here’s the Master of Speed from Ninjago. Did I expect you to know he existed? No, but making Speed an element again, would be nothing new for Lego.

True, I find that happening with Ninjago right now, but at least Masks won’t get overly complicated, it’ll just only happen to other stuff.

True. Can’t really argue here, but’s it’s already been done twice.
Might it work again? Sure.
Might it fail? Sure.
Does it matter? No, since neither of us are TTV cast members, so we don’t really get a say on what they’ll choose.

I’m not too sure. I hardly remember my childhood.
But I know that I didn’t get into Bionicle until 2008 if that says anything.

That’s probably why they weren’t common. Although, there is a difference between being a Toa of fire and a Toa with a mask of fire. As a Toa of fire, fire is part of your very being, an extension of yourself. As a Toa with a mask of fire, you are literally out of your element, it’s borrowed power.

But there’s a difference between Ninjago and Bionicle. If something being in Ninjago is a good enough reason to put it into Bionicle then Bionicle isn’t Bionicle anymore. It’s Ninhago with robots. Just because it makes sense in Ninjago doesn’t mean it makes sense in Bionicle. Bionicle is not Ninjago.

4 Likes