Civil War: Should Eljay Remove His Mask for Video Recordings?

Alright, something I dislike about the channel. The fact that

[quote=“Kahi, post:374, topic:755”]
actual adults.
[/quote] feel the need to make their drama public instead of solving it in private.

Sure Eljay’s sorta to blame for starting this off, but you could have easily continued the conversation out of the public eye. But you’re too worried about your reputation. That doesn’t seem very adult to me.

There’s enough internet drama between Leafy and H3H3, all the prank channels, and all that stupidity. We do not need more of it.

4 Likes

Actual adults are just big kids anyway.

20 Likes

But you guys keep claiming to be professional, and this seems like the kind of thing that should be handled in private.

7 Likes

It was Eljay though, the others actually where keeping it private for the most part at least.

Pretty much.

Eljay did bring up the whole thing, but then Kahi brought up arguments here rather than trying to solve it in private =S

If anything this whole argument is the “youtube drama” equivalent of TTV

3 Likes

yeah if anything Kahi’s the one instigating a public argument :o

5 Likes

Kahi is an intentional instigator. :laughing:

8 Likes

Youtube Drama: The TTV Edition.

Let’s get roooooooight INTO THE NEWS

(I did this in paint with a tracpad stop judging me)

14 Likes

I’m confused as to this new direction. I’ve often heard TTV members explain the benefits of podcasts where its only audio given that it can be fairly easily edited (rather than if they showed faces where editing jumps would be more obvious) and its easier to upload. I believe a few members even mentioned that the idea of a podcast was that it could be listened to rather than watched, which is what a lot of members do.

I understand that you may not desire to be focused on audio aspects, and however you choose to progress the channel is up to its members, however i feel the videos where its just audio are where a majority of the channel is currently focused and that having your face in a video wont necessarily add to it.

I understand that the desire is for the channel to grow, I and others have suggested options for growth beforehand that would likely be easier than the ‘huge overall plan for TTV going forward’ that you mentioned. Though it seems rather than settling on something its a lot of market research and new forms of

A simple solution would be to branch into discussing the CCBS Star Wars sets, given the popularity of Star Wars and the increasing focus Lego seems to be doing towards making CCBS Star Wars sets. This would be a natural progression from Bionicle and would still be based around constraction sets so if Bionicle is cancelled or a similar line appears then it would make for a natural progression and link in with your current fanbase. If you want TTV to survive you need to consider focusing it rather than growing it.

Either way, i feel the best solution wouldn’t be to try and get rid of members (no matter the issues) but instead get each member to contribute when they have the free time in producing content that doesn’t require the whole group. I’ve heard TTV members talk in the past about how difficult organising podcasts or things are due to people working - and its been mentioned again here because of adult commitments.

Eljay has brought this to the topic, however with multiple staff here i cant help but feel that if they wanted to tackle it off the boards then they easily could. As Kahi described Eljay bringing it up here as a ‘hissy fit’ - its odd to then see staff continuing the debate around this ‘hissy fit’ on a public forum while making comments about professionalism of the channel and its members.

The decision of what to do, is at the end of the day, TTV’s decision. Us commenting wont really help that in any form and it feels like others have mentioned with the Civil War comments that its both sides having a debate hoping to win fan support. I and others have questioned if this was some sort of joke not only because of the handling of this but also because they’ve done things like this before as a joke.

I know it would seem a little confrontational, though what probably should have happened was the following;

• Eljay comments on the topic
  • Comment is removed or left without a staff response, thus no debate occurs between staff
  • A TTV member messages Eljay to discuss this on Skype
  • The problem is resolved outside of the boards and no public drama ensues

Just feel this topic is slowly devolving and this could have a bad effect on TTV in general - rather than if a staff member were to get everyone to stop discussion now and if they discussed things with Eljay elsewhere… but that’s just my thoughts.

8 Likes

Personally I feel it’s better that the staff discusses it here. They need outside input.

2 Likes

That’s the primary reason we’re letting it continue. We want some input from the fans and community members, so we’re having this discussion in the public eye (although it will probably get moved to a new topic before too long).

-Mesonak

6 Likes

Here’s my only question: when the cast meets up for Brickfair, they said they all wanted to see a movie together–possibly, with some fans.

…is Eljay going to walk into a crowded movie theater wearing a mask, saying that he doesn’t want anyone to identify him?

…Eljay would get tackled to the ground in seconds. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Alright, allow me to give an opinion:

Just because some people want to be professional doesn’t mean Eljay has to take off his mask.

TTV is not famous nor are the podcast members celebrities. No, I’m not insulting anybody here, it’s just that TTV isn’t a mainstream or remotely well known thing. TTV is simply a group of people focused on a LEGO line and people who follow the LEGO line would probably know them because they are a center for news and analysis, just like BZpower or Eurobricks. Neither of the 2 mentioned have famous people nor do they have professionals.

Eljay has the right to stay anonymous. As far as I can tell, Eljay is in TTV to simply entertain and talk to people, not become a celebrity or a part of a “popular” group of people. Some members, I assume, can have their own say as to what they want to be known for, or most important yet, what their plans are as adults. Is some members want TTV to be a grand group of professionals, they can be professionals. If someone doesn’t want to be a professional and would rather just screw around and use TTV as a productive past-time, then they’re entitled to it.

There are some Youtubers who are very much professional with their work ethics. Some such Youtuber is IHE. He has never shown his face, yet he commits to showing podcasts and doing his normal work. There’s no reason for TTV to make any sort of podcast or livestream with webcam faces on it, seriously. You can just have a bunch of icons showing crew members. As for personal events, when Eljay has to be there, just have him wear his mask. It’s his signature look, honestly, and if it’s irritating or hard to hear (which I dunno if it is, honestly) then have Eljay just fix the mask.

In all, professionalism doesn’t mean you have to show your face. Just change around how you do things a little.

5 Likes

Eljay will never take the mask off cause he lost his real face in a monkey accident.

3 Likes

Listen, Eljay can remain anonymous all he wants. I just don’t understand why he feels the need to be in videos where the rest of us want to show our faces. He can remain anonymous in any videos that doesn’t require actual video footage, but there’s no reason we should feel compelled to include him if we feel it hampers the video quality. No one is forcing him to take off his mask, so why must we be forced to accommodate him?

If we want to do a vlog with our faces then we should be able to do so without being forced to include him.

5 Likes

This is what I have been trying to argue for a while.

We’re in the age of the Internet when you can be a professional without people knowing who you are and still make money. Like Kahi said, nobody would care if Eljay DID remove his mask and show is identity, so why would it matter then for him to do so? I don’t think we care about who he really is.

All we know is that he’s a weird guy who wears a cardboard Miru on his face.

4 Likes

I… I’ll retrain from commenting much, but I get both points of view.

3 Likes

Both sides have good and valid arguments, but at the end of the day whatever choice they do make it really doesn’t matter. It won’t change anything they’re still going to be the ttv cast that we know and we’re still going to get great content.

2 Likes

Well, if you want to do Vlogs, you can just have Eljay holding the phone or whatever and he can still speak normally and clearly.

4 Likes