Define your MOCing style

I think as an accent, only one or the other should be used; I don’t think having both as accent colors at the same time really works. Both can be used to good effect if one is accenting the other, such as having silver with gunmetal accenting it, but without another color, a MOC with silver an gunmetal can kind of look bland.

2 Likes

True,
But what if you are using them as base colors, and throw in a thrid color as an accent

I believe that this is subjective, some mocs may need more gunmetal than other mocs.

CCBS with greebling in between.

2 Likes

Way too much CCBS.
All the tires you can put on that thing without disabling articulation.
Lack of pieces.
Rubber bands (though I’m going to use those less).
Balljoints.

2 Likes

I can make a torso.

But nothing else.

1 Like

My MOCing style? Coming up with one good design and then overusing that design.
/s

Too true.

But I’d describe my MOCing style as mostly simple, but very effective. I love custom torsos, but not so much custom limbs.

I tend to avoid greebles, but with some of my ‘20 year older’ MOCs, I’m planning, I’m going to include some. for example, here’s my self-MOC, Kasai, Guardian of fire.

Left is younger Kasai, right is 20 years older Kasai.

4 Likes

Amen, dude, amen.

3 Likes

I either go for a very technich heavy or a comic-bookish simplistic style, depends on the style of moc I want.

Tall and lanky

I try to make my MOCs look like something Lego would actually make. That leads to very simple CCBS, but I take design over complexity, as I don’t have too many pieces anyway.

1 Like

CCBS, that’s just a given by now, and a few custom bits, to give it some character.

My best example at the time:

6 Likes

Noice.

How did you get the pure gold Uniter Tahu mask tho

2 Likes

Thanks, I painted it.

Oh. Noice X2.

2 Likes

to be honest, I don’t even know if I have a style but I guess I like to use both system and Technic in a moc.

When completely out of inspiration, I have a system that I tell myself, and seem to follow without fail.
Here are Novel’s steps to making above-par mocs. but only just above-par.

Step 1: Dig through giant jumbled piece box you own because you’re a lazy failure who refuses to organize
Step 2: Find a few pieces you like the look of and that you think might look good together
Step 3: Place together (actual connection not necessary) in a way that looks best
Step 4: Find a way to connect them. Try and try until it finally works. Take hours if you must.
Step 5: Keep that… thing in a bin for a few months to surprise yourself later when you find out that you’d completely forgotten it like a moron
Step 6: Build a decent half of the moc. Choose which half wisely, because
Step 7: Practically give up on the rest and force yourself to upload something that could be good if you had spent a little more thought on it, you absolute waste of good air

Step 8 (optional): re-use the only good things you’ve come up with yourself and milk the crap out of them until people start noticing that all your moc’s legs are the same, Novel, you absolute pile of trash

4 Likes

My moccing style has changed a bit as of late, as I’m starting to use more CCBS and Technic more than G1 parts in my MOCs.

I try to keep it custom, but CCBS for places with restricted mobility, say the upper arms of a very well-clad torso, has proven useful in a pinch. Usually try to keep it all to the same aesthetic, not jumping too wildly between textures.

Also I take for friggity ever to build custom limbs. Still have a Jaller Mahri MOC I have yet to share because of said issue. Heh

I try to combine grebes with cabs nut i feel that it never works. But yeah i think that is my style.