Do you prefer Hobbit, or LotR? (films)

Now I feel like I’ll give my reasons.

Despite me loving the books much more, I think that the LOTR trilogy is a masterpiece that set the standard for epic movies and may never be topped. Jackson’s adaptation is masterful, the acting is fantastic, the directing throws you into the scene itself, and every movie feels magical.

Before I get into The Hobbit movies, I wanna say the Martin Freeman’s portrayal of Bilbo is magnificent.

The Hobbit was never meant to be an epic, which is what killed that “trilogy”. I saw the first movie and enjoyed it, An Unexpected Journey is a fun movie. It’s the best of the three IMO because it’s not trying to be an epic, it’s trying to be a fun adventure movie, and it does that well. The Desolation of Smaug is mediocre. There’s no other way around it. The action is good, but the forced romance between Kili and Tauriel the Hated just, ugh. Jackson, we didn’t need a wannabe Aragorn and Arwen. It just slows the movie. We didn’t need backstory for the Silvan elves. However I think that the ending is the best way to do a cliffhanger. Battle of the Five Armies is another mediocre movie. Tolkien’s description doesn’t justify making the battle a movie of its own. While I did enjoy it, it just falls short.

I feel like what killed The Hobbit was turning it into a trilogy. Two movies is fine, but you can’t turn one of the best children’s books of all time into three. It just won’t work. It doesn’t work.

4 Likes

LotR by far, but Hobbit wasn’t god-awful like some people say. I rather enjoyed 1 and 2 wasn’t bad, just not as good.

3 Likes

I’m inclined to say I liked the LotR trilogy better than the Hobbit.

First point, LotR had better pacing. The Hobbit felt like it was dragging itself through each movie at a very slow pace. It was really hard to keep interest. LotR had a faster and less boring pace.

Second point, the tone in The Hobbit was quite a departure from that of LotR. It felt like a completely different universe when I watched the Hobbit. It was weird.

Third, and final point, The Battle of Five Armies is quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in a theater. (Twice, I might add) I could write a whole list of reasons that is a terrible movie. I’ll save that for later.

1 Like

Sounds to me like you’ve never seen a Transformers film (in theaters anyway). I envy you.

3 Likes

Technicalities. I’ve seen the Transformers films, but not in theaters. ( I still consider The Room to be the worst, though).

1 Like

Meh. I’d argue that The Room was at least somewhat funny, even if it was unintentionally so. Transformers…is just painful.

It sounds like you people have never watched The Last Airbender…

6 Likes

plz get back on topic

1 Like

I like them both.

but we need a legolas movie.

5 Likes

Totally

3 Likes

I one hundred percent agree!
Also I read it as Morgan Freeman and was very confused :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’ve only seen the Hobbit trilogy so as of the two I like, I’d have to got with The Hobbit trilogy

No, they needed more eagle. Eagles could have prevented three Hobbit movies!

And most of their problems…

2 Likes

You’ve watched HISHE, right?
Beorn: “You will never make it to the forest alive!”
Gandalf: “I have an idea. We can call the eagles…”
Bilbo: “NO! No more eagles”
Gandalf: “But they solve EVERY PROBLEM WE HAVE!”

5 Likes

plz git back on topic ;_;

1 Like

I like both, but The Hobbit should not have been a trilogy (two films at least)
Will probably never see the Silmarillion (the actual book that deserves more than one movie) made into movies, which makes me sad.

2 Likes

Eagles can’t solve everything.

9 Likes

LOTR, film wise.
(But the Hobbit is my favorite fictional book)

3 Likes

I much prefer LOTR
I liked both the books, but the hobbit movies had me falling asleep.
LOTR is one of my favourite movies(the trilogy as a whole) of all time

2 Likes

Lotter.

1 Like