Does "Tales of the Masks" contain a reference to the Morbuzakh?

Is the following quote from “Tales of the Masks” a reference to the Morbuzakh, or to some other being?
“[Gali] had spotted a carving on the rock wall. It showed the six [Toa Metru], this time in a valiant struggle against… what? It might have been some many-armed sea creature, or perhaps some other Rahi they had never seen before. One thing was certain – they were in a place of fire.”

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it was, given that the story team had planned it out at least that far by then.

Actually, the Morbuzakh was just something I did for a book, it wasn’t part of the main story that the story team came up with. I put that reference in there basically to force myself to come up with what it referred to later.

6 Likes

Interesting!

1 Like

I always thought it was a reference to the Battle with the ancient sea Rahi and Mavrah in the “Voyage of Fear” because the carving was made by Nokama in the end of that book.

1 Like

Actually Nokama made a different carving, which also appeared in Tales of the Masks, in the end of Voyage of Fear. That carving simply showed the six Toa Metru. The carving that Nokama made in VoF was in an underwater tunnel and Nokama showed it to Gali to to let her know that there were Toa before the Toa Nuva. This carving was found by Gali in a canyon called the Place of Shadow while they were looking for Kanohi Nuva.

1 Like