Empire of Insects

“before you sit please bring me a skilled cartographer, and an expert on our taxing system, as both will become important.”

1 Like

The firefly looked a bit stunned, both with being allowed to sit and needing two people of such professions. After a moment he bowed again and scurried away.

Word to other fireflies carried quick, and a dozen quickly flew off across Grales, one headed through the rain towards the Sand Tavern.

As Cheviot came closer to the Sandy Tavern he noticed a small crowd of bugs coming his way, two crickets, a beetle, and an assassin bug. “Those fellas look tough. Best make myself scarce,” he mumbled to himself. And so he did. Though his beak was rather distinct, he could hide well due to his short stature. Luckily there was a cluster if good-sized bushes off the trail, perfect for hiding.

There was, however, a flaw with this perfect plan. On his quest to find a tax expert or a cartographer, the firefly heading to the sandy tavern noticed a familiar face crouching behind a set of bushes, one who had decided to quit recently from the Emperor’s service.

“Excuse me,” He quietly said as he landed in the most obvious manner a bit from the bushes. “You’ve been summoned to the capitol.”

“Shhh!” urged Cheviot. “I’m trying to lay low here. First of all, how’d you find me? Second of all, I retired from the civil service a couple a’ weeks ago. What would the Capitol want with me?”

“You’re very obvious from the air.” He shrugged. “And I don’t dare deny the word of Sopter nor any of the officials. It would be best for you sooner than later or his mood may change; he seeks you for assistance now and yet I do not know if weevils are on his diet.”

With little subtlety in his movement he rose into the air, and took off towards the capitol. Surely the group had noticed him. @TheMOCingbird

1 Like

Sopter summoned another servant as he waited

Another firefly appeared, much quicker than the last. He bowed a short bow. “What do you require?”

The Weaver hung his wares in the store front. “Another ■■■■■■■■, eh?” The Mayfly running the stand grinned. “Say, what are you keeping that one for? Is it as ugly as it looks from over here?”

“It’s waterproofed.” The Weaver said, and turning, departed through the rainy street. The skies were starting to clear, and so the mayfly would begin spreading the rumour that the Weaver had found a way to make waterproof fabric.

“Please, bring me 3 Seats, and some drink for four.”

1 Like

The firefly glanced at him from the corner of his eyes like Sopter didn’t know how to do basic math, but eventually shrugged and went to fulfill his orders, not quite processing that Sopter was too large for a seat anyways.

Okiri spied the Fireflies movements within his periphery, he stood a little closer to the group and lowered his voice “Did you see that firefly? Wonder where he’s headin`?”

“Maybe a place where we could find stories eh?”

Yeah” replies Okiri, his voice returning to its regular volume. “Hey! Storyteller! wanna come with us and find where that guy was headed, there’s probably stories to be found… and Money too!

Izbec chuckled at Orikis exuberance. He had planned on heading to the capital, but that could wait. “I’d love to accompany you.” Izbec said as he tightened his grip on his spear to be used as a walking stick. “Let’s go!”

———

Lilith turned to the great Holo. “Thank you for the concern,” He said as he blew away one of his feathery antenna which had dropped down in front of his face due to the rain. “But I’ll be fine.”

Cheviot flew up and out of the bush in a hurry, following the firefly. He didn’t want to fall victim to the mysterious Sopter, nor did he want to get jumped by the group of bugs he hid from in the first place.

The beetle smiled. “Stay safe.”

@Holi

The servants bringing the seats and drinks were just beaten out by another firefly, accompanied by an elderly Cicada, who wobbled about as he entered the room. “The cartographer.” The firefly announced. He bowed himself out and almost collided with the drink carriers.

@HewksDKowlihad

Cheviot’s target flew up over the city gate and started making a line for the capitol building.

“sit,” offers Sopter to the cartographer, “we’re waiting for two others so enjoy yourself until then.”

“Yeah, stories and whatever…” Scalthus said in a mixture of Enthusiasm with obvious sarcastic undertones as he followed the group.

but there better darn we’ll be money…

“Soooo, whatz your story?” asks the Weta

Scalthus turned around, slightly confused.
“I’m sorry, me?” He asked, pointing to himself.