Finding/Making Fan Made Model Instructions

A few nights ago, someone mentioned “Krana-Kal”, which I immediately misheard as Kraata-Kal. Pretty soon, I was examining the list of Dark Hunters, most of which were, of course, canonized via TLG-sponsored building contests. Frankly, even though Kraata-Kal isn’t particuarly great, I’d really love to build some of these.

The fact, however, is that very few of these models have corresponding instructions. Most of them are seriously blurry, or created by folks who are no longer involved in the fandom - or both.

However, I suspect that bringing the entire BZP community together to try to find some of the original creators may be fruitful, within the bounds of our ability to contact people. Perhaps there are even some long-lost instructions out there. Obviously, there are a few that we pretty much have no chance of finding, such as the instructions to Miserix; that said, while combing through the BS01 records, our chances of finding or making the manuals for some look pretty good. I’ve thrown together a google spreadsheet outlining some of the basic information that might help with tracking some of these down; all the info is from BS01 or a little research on the BZP names of some creators. Here it is.

Good luck!

-Azani

EDIT: Cross-posted from BZP. Hence “the entire BZP community”

8 Likes

Near the bottom of this doc are instructions for some of the Dark Hunters and rahi. I believe it continues to be updated, so new stuff could be on there eventually.
Bionicle Combiners - Google Docs

1 Like

Fantastic. I was aware fo some of those, but definitely not all of them; I’ll add them in to the database.

Ideally, we’d eventually make some really clear, unambiguous, TLG-style instructions for all of these in PDF format.

hmmm… could instructions for the Tahtorak be there as well?

I checked brickshelf, but the website appears to not be working anymore. Did they shut the website down?

Hmm, I got an error 404. Guess something is wrong with my servers.

From what I can remember there are step by step instructions for the Tahtorak on brickshelf.

@ToaRider (for some reason I couldn’t quote your reply) it’s working perfectly fine with me.
Here’s the link:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Tahtorak+&stype=dfic

Y’know, I’ve seen those before, but thank you for reposting them here. As far as I’ve been able to tell, none of those folks are actually Justin Lamb, the guy who designed the model. A few of them expressely state that they aren’t, and the rest look a little questionable.

However, this image showed up with the query that you linked to. Does anyone know where this comes from? Was it in the BrickMaster magazine or something? It definitely appeared before September 21, 2004.

1 Like

Another BZP member and I made some of the Dark Hunter models a while back, and took a decent amount of pictures. Here’s the gallery we had:

He had a few more on his Brickshelf, but I can’t seem to find it…

EDIT: Here it is! Brickshelf Gallery - Replicates of official model. I do not take credit of any of these creation. except the Kyry Model

4 Likes

What’s this about my Tahtorak building instructions?