Helryx, Toa of Water (Canon Contest #1: The First)

Flickr album

Front | Side | Back
Breakdowns: Torso | Neck | Weapons

As the first ever Toa, Helryx may lack polish, but she’s built to get the job done.

I imagine early Toa, such as the Toa Mata, were designed with a particular fighting style in mind. Later Toa have more refined frames well suited to a variety of fighting styles. Going with this idea, I made Helryx asymmetrical to fit her equipment. Helryx’s large weapon arm lets her deal strong blows with her mace. The shoulder and knee armor on her mace side protect her when she swings. Helryx’s other side features lighter armor since her large shield covers it. Even her shield is asymmetrical for a reason; it tapers toward the bottom, exposing Helryx’s leg so she can quickly advance with her shield up.

Thanks for looking. I appreciate your feedback!

40 Likes

Love the style. Good luck!

1 Like

Your design seems very well thought out and I think fits Helryx quite well. Great work!

2 Likes

Thank you both! I iterated on this design a lot (based on helpful feedback from /r/bioniclelego), and every time I made a design choice I thought about how it would reflect her age and practical personality. I hoped that the extra thought would make the final product scream Helryx. I’m glad you think it paid off!

1 Like

Rooting for this to make top 4!

2 Likes

I like how the build reflects practicality, and how the asymmetry and exposed pins/axles are similar to the Mata, without it looking exactly like them. This contest is bringing out some great models!

1 Like

Huh, at first I wasn’t a super huge fan of the design, but hearing your explanation for it really works for me, I like it!

1 Like

really prefer this to a lot of the more polished/boring MOCs- Helryx needs to be iconic, and this gets the job done

1 Like