Horrifying Revelations

Only three of the original Mangai are confirmed to have died: Lhikan, Nidhiki, and the Toa of Earth. (Four if you count the alternate Tuyet). The other’s fates are unknown.

If you count the Mangai’s final roster, though, then yes. We don’t know how many members the final team had, but they all died (sans Tuyet, but she was arguably no longer part of the team by then)

3 Likes

Not necessarily; we don’t know exactly how many of them died beyond Lhikan, Nidhiki, and the Toa of Earth.

(Also, are we going by overall deaths or percentage of deaths? If we assume that 5 of the original 11 Toa Mangai died, that’s more total deaths than the Mahri, but less than half the team)

2 Likes

We do know that at least a few others died, because Eliminator didn’t pick off the team by killing just the one. Of course the “which Mangai went when and where” narrative is a bit fuzzy

I was going by percentage of deaths but it’s been so long since I combed the details on the matter I may easily be forgetting some stuff

I have had a Horrifying Revelation that I’m getting old enough to begin forgetting information I used to pour over like scripture

3 Likes

That’s a good point that I hadn’t considered. Even if we can’t say which of the other Mangai were killed by Eliminator, there has to have been at least a few.

All we know for sure is that some of the Toa of Ice had left before the Toa-Dark Hunter War:

That same quote also implies that, at most, there were five Mangai killed by Eliminator; of the “around seven” that stayed, we know that he didn’t kill Lhikan and Nidhiki, and it’s also possible that some of those Toa died in the War or left afterwards.

EDIT: I just found a quote I hadn’t seen before which states that Eliminator only killed two of the Toa Mangai:

This would mean that three Mangai were killed in the Toa-Dark Hunter War or left after it, and that the only Toa left during Teridax’s takeover were Lhikan, the Toa of Earth, and one other Toa.

However, while these numbers are somewhat reasonable, the above quote does kind of read like a forgetcon, with the implication that the other Toa Mangai were tracked down and killed, which contradicts previous information that Eliminator was the only one who had killed all of the remaining Toa Mangai. It also contradicts the information in the Bionicle Encyclopedia: Updated, which states that the Toa Mangai were sent on multiple missions, not just one.

3 Likes

If it helps, here’s another instance of the word “revive” being used in Greg’s writing:

“Onewa revived Pouks and together Toa, Rahaga, and Rahi moved off into the rocky passes of Po-Metru.”
(Krakha had thrown Pouks at a rock and he was “laying still” at this moment)

2 Likes

The fact that it says “reviving” as an active thing, rather than just “revived” makes me think he was just unconscious. Sort of like “reawakening” or “coming to”. It would be weird if Nuparu was helping him to his feet, while he was still being brought back to life.

2 Likes

Still makes me think Kongu got KO’d by Carapar.

3 Likes

Yeah, he was KO’d. Killed Outright.

Edit: @TheJerminator just noticed something else shortly after the scene you posted. Nuju shouts about Mata Nui coming back “from high atop the Knowledge Towers”. A few seconds later, he is inexplicably on the ground with Vakama.

Nuju must have been taking lessons with Kapura.

2 Likes

he’s a fan of high falls

like someone else I know

1 Like

Reading through that, it seems like Greg was originally going to have Nuju say something to the Toa Mahri directly, but then later changed it to Nuju being on top of the tower and forgot to remove Nuju from the later scene.

The very next paragraph has Nuju sitting alone in an observatory watching the stars, meaning that he was on top of the tower, ran down to briefly be with the Toa Mahri, and then went back up to be by himself. It would make far more sense that he made his proclamation and then retreated into his private room.

2 Likes

i think they’re closer to the tiny dust mites that live on your face. so tiny that you cannot see them, live, defecate, breed, love, hate, have hardships, eat, and ultimately die on your face without you knowing

@MaxinePrimal yes i have

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Spiderus Prime

1 Like

After going through the Mask Of Light novelization some more, I’ve come to realize that the above point isn’t relevant:

Even if Jaller could be revived from Kini-Nui, his body was no longer there.

Now, it wouldn’t be impossible to come up with a scenario where the body is moved back within the Red Star’s range, but at that point the “duplicate Jaller” theory loses the simple convenience that made it so attractive in the first place.

Also, on an unrelated note:

After going through a bunch of different quotes, we can actually construct a rough framework of the team’s numbers through the years.

I should note that everything below relies on the assumption that the word “some” refers to at least 2 (e.g. if Greg says that “some” Toa left, it means that at least two Toa left, not just any number).

Obviously we know that the Toa Mangai were first assembled from 11 Toa in order to combat the Kanohi Dragon in Metru Nui. Then, the first reference we get to Toa leaving the team is this quote from the Encyclopedia: Updated:

The Toa encountered and defeated a KANOHI DRAGON. Lhikan personally saw the dragon delivered to the island of XIA. Afterwards, he, Toa NIDHIKI, and a handful of the other heroes elected to remain the in city as its protectors.

This statement of “a handful” of Toa (plus Lhikan and Nidhiki) is consistent with this quote, in which Greg says that there were “around 7” Toa left at the start of the Toa Dark-Hunter War:

1. After Tuyet’s death, how many Toa were there when the Dark Hunters came calling in their war? Because if all eleven stayed around, that would make ten, but I thought that some of them left aftere the Kanohi Dragon problem…
  1. Probably around 7
  1. Around seven? Were any of the four Ice Toa still around?
  1. Some were, some weren’t

Also in this quote, Greg says that “some” Toa of Ice remained, and “some” had left. Since there were only four of them, and “some” is assumed to be plural, this means that two of them left and two of them stayed. Keeping in mind that Tuyet was also arrested by the Order Of Mata Nui in between these two events, that specifically identifies three members as having left the team in between the Kanohi Dragon and the War (Tuyet + two Toa of Ice). (Note that, at this point in the analysis, it is possible that other Toa left as well, as Greg never gave any exact numbers for this point in time).

The next reference to Toa leaving the team is at the end of the War, also from the updated Encyclopedia:

Nidiki left with the defeated Dark Hunters and did not return for hundreds of years.

Over time, some of the Toa left the city for other islands and more adventure.

The use of “some” again means that at least two Toa left in addition to Nidhiki, giving us a confirmed total of at least six Toa having left the team, meaning that there were at most five Toa remaining in the city for good.

For this next part, I’m going to work backwards: we know from Eliminator’s entry in the Dark Hunters guide that many of the Toa Mangai were killed by Eliminator after being sent on false missions by Teridax disguised as Dume:

Makuta, disguised as the city elder, had ordered them on missions outside of Metru Nui, making them easy targets for my Dark Hunter.

The use of plural “missions” means that there were at least two missions that ended fatally for the Toa. We also know from Kodan’s entry in the Encyclopedia: Updated that at least one of those missions resulted in two Toa’s deaths:

Kodan continued to fill this role for centuries. He vanished along with two Toa on a mission for Turaga Dume (actually Makuta in disguise).

This means that there were at least three Toa killed by Eliminator on false missions. Add Lhikan, who was left in the city, and it means that there were at least four Toa remaining in the city at the point of Teridax’s takeover of Dume’s position. This agrees terrifically with the above conclusion that there were at most five.

So now that the exact numbers have been more-or-less concluded, we can start working out which Toa did what. There’s some obvious ones right off the bat:

• Lhikan remained in the city until the end
  • Nidhiki left with the Dark Hunters after the Toa-Dark Hunter War
  • Tuyet was arrested by the Order of Mata Nui in between the Kanohi Dragon and the War
  • Two Toa of Ice left after the Kanohi Dragon (as detailed above)

Then, one more Toa can be worked out from Greg Quotes (linked in-text):

• The Toa of Earth was killed by Eliminator, as proven by the fact that he wore the Kakama that was found by The Shadowed One in Time Trap

While it cannot be determined exactly when the other Toa left, we can work out at least part of how long most of them stayed:

• The other two Toa of Ice were present at the start of the Toa-Dark Hunter War (as detailed above)
  • Naho was present during the Toa-Dark Hunter War
  • The Toa of The Green stayed in the city for a prolonged period of time, as evidenced by the fact that he is said to have lived in Ga-Metru

Ultimately, there’s still a little bit of room to play with; since I’ve concluded that there were either four or five Toa Mangai left as of Teridax’s takeover, we essentially have one “extra” Toa that we could spare from Eliminator if we wanted; we know that at least two Toa voluntarily left after the Kanohi Dragon as well as another two after the War, but it could have been three in either one of those cases. It’s also possible that one of the Toa was killed during the Toa-Dark Hunter War.

The final point I will make is that, if there was a third Toa that left voluntarily after the Kanohi Dragon (or, in other words, if we assume that there were exactly seven Toa left at the start of the War), it must have been the Toa of Stone, as we have confirmed actions in Metru Nui for all of the other Toa after that point.

(The Toa of Stone is the only Toa Mangai that I can find absolutely no information about, story- or appearance-wise; we don’t even know his Kanohi power)

7 Likes

A horrifying revelation and probably one of the creepiest and darkest details in Bionicle:

The last thing Matoro ever saw was a Makuta…

4 Likes

The one Makuta who is seen and not heard.

7 Likes

the best of table manners makuta

3 Likes

splitface all this time

11 Likes