How Have You're Writing Skills Improved Over Time?

(Title misspelling is intentional)
This topic is to compare your current writing to the nightmarish past when you couldn’t tell the difference between your and you’re, had run on sentences, and little to no punctuation. It doesn’t have to be limited to original stories. It can be fanfiction, roleplays, or essays.

I like to look at my ancient RP from September 2014 called TTV Chronicles, and compare that to my posts in Halo: Into the Howling Dark Definitive Edition RP.

2 Likes

I still cant… although i am dyslexic

1 Like

Shoot, I would post my novel here, but I don’t know if that counts as self-advertising…

2 Likes

Maybe a paragraph or two would be alright, there is an art topic that’s similar to this one after all that could be seen as advertising.

Comparing the first chapter of OPERATION VINDICTA to the current chapter of RISING SONS I’ve been working on, I’d say I’ve found myself wanting to put much more dedication into my work over time. Doing what I can to expand upon characters and looking to other stories I’ve enjoyed to get a sense of how to best plan out a scene.

1 Like

Well, if you look at the first draft of Mysterious Island and the songs that I wrote to go along with it, you’d be pretty imaginative to find a real character-building aspect to it. In the last couple of years since I wrote that, I’ve gotten at least a bit better at differentiating characters and finding really gripping reasons for them to interact.

1 Like

Well my fiction writing was never good and has improved but the stories haven’t

Nonfiction on the other hand, I usually get really good grades in, compared to my old papers they are alot better

1 Like

My character writing has improved quite a bit. For example, compare my posts in the Self Moc Actual Roleplay, to my newest writing, Comradery Fallen.

1 Like

it didn’t
i’ve always been horrible at writing and i still am
thought i really hate writing so i guess that doesn’t help

1 Like

I used to hardly punctuate, now I over punctuate.

So I would say I have gotten better. I went from writing half page “chapters” to 12 pages. with far more sense and flow to the entire thing.

2 Likes

I used to use, a lot, of commas, Capitalize Random Words, and use every type of tense in a single sentence. It hasn’t gotten much better from there. At least I don’t spell yeah yah anymore.

4 Likes

I never knew where to start my writings, and I admittedly still run into that same problem sometimes, due to my tendency to overthink things.

A good example of that problem is this post. It took me a whole 3 minutes just to think of where to start.

3 Likes

Welp, I couldn’t find one of my old writing examples. Probably for the best though, since it wasnt exactly Shakespeare.

But I DO have my new writing; maybe a bit too much. Here’s the example from my NaNoWrimo thingymabob (specifically a Godzilla 2014 and Shin Gojira brawl):

“A low growl pierced the darkness. Gojira turned its head back around to see that its adversary was far from done. Standing amidst the flames was Godzilla, his massive silhouette nearly matching Gojira’s own. The former’s armored hide bore numerous burn marks and dents. Several of his jagged spines had been snapped off, and one bloody eye was closed tightly shut. But still he stood tall, not one to fight until he was knocked out. He would battle to the death. This thing before him was no natural occurence. It was an abomination that was never meant to be. He would have to eliminate that problem.
Gojira hefted its entire body around to face its foe. Its toothy grin contrasted with the grimace the other kaiju wore on his face. The soulless eyes seemed to beckon for the other monster, almost as if it was taunting him.
Godzilla let out an ear piercing bellow and charged towards his adversary. His thunderous footsteps plowed through what was left of the old amusement park at breakneck speeds. Several hundred yards away, Gojira roared defiance and planted its saurian feet deep into the ground, bracing for the inevitable impact. The distance between the two rapidly closed before Godzilla lunged at his opponent; 90,000 tons of raw muscle and scales impacted with Gojira and shoved it into the old reactor, destroying what little remained of the building in a matter of seconds. The sheer force of the impact sent both kaiju crashing into the ground, leaving behind massive craters where their enormous bodies landed.”

1 Like

Your - Adamus*

Only advantage 2014 Godzilla has is that he at least has fully functioning arms :smile:

1 Like

Did you even read the first sentence of the topic XD

3 Likes

Well, as of a year ago, my characters were all op and had virtually no limits in any capacity. Imagine all my characters as either Aquaman, Superman, or Doctor Fate.
Now my characters are far more limited, reasonable, and relatable. Think more on the lines of Robin, Spider-Man, or Ahsoka Tano. The stories are also more believable, and follow a more consistent storyline. I still need to make more interesting characters, though. I feel they are a but one dimensional at this point.

Holy cooooooow. I have improved SO MUCH. I used to come up with little stories that I would write/illustrate in composition notebooks for school that were just awful. Maybe a good premise, but as far as actually writing out the story and everything, they were just pathetic. A great way to see improvement in my work I find is to look at some of my early brickfilms from like 2009 and then look at my newer stuff from the last two years or so. Massive improvement.

My plot lines back in the day would basically be

A. Clones arrive at planet
B. Clones get attacked by Battle Droids/Creature/Bounty Hunter
C. Clones kill everything and leave

or

A. Decepticons have a plan
B. Autobots find out about the Decepticon’s plan
C. Autobots win cuz good guys

Now, you might be thinking “Well, that’s basically Star Wars and Transformers in general, isn’t it?”, and sure, that’s how those stories go, but they have explanation for why things are happening. My stuff back then was JUST those plots without the explanation.

Nowadays the plots are much more interesting, with actual characters and reasons for why things happen. I feel like I may be a bit too ‘expositiony’ at times, but over explanation is better than no explanation, right? :joy:

4 Likes

Of course.
My very early writing was little more than fanfictions full of self-inserts and mary sues, but with no pre-established things.
My new writing has won $50 in a writing contest (and $50 more for my school), and I intend to submit it to more things.

1 Like

Oh yeah, and as for stories in pre existing universes.
My characters are no longer inserted into the story, they have their own.

3 Likes

I realized my book concept was not gonna work out.

So now I’m raiding it for ideas to put in my video game.

I prefer a much more visual method of story telling that was hard to simulate in a book.

2 Likes