How is protosteel made?

okay from the information I have obtained, it stands to reason that protosteel shares the same qualities as magnesium alloy. Which is the worlds strongest metal to date. Being stronger than titanium and lighter than aluminum, magnesium alloy is a very versitile material; just as versitile as protosteel. For protosteel is used for pohotu phantoka’s propellors, the vehicles used in phantoka line, and several weapons and the maxilos robots. In order for these vehicles and pohotu’s form of transportation it needs to be a light weight material and durable enough to handle combat.

Which makes magnesium alloy the same as protosteel in that sense. If we were to say protosteel is exactly the same as magnesium alloy, the melting point would be between 500 to 600 degrees fahrenheit. But they wouldn’t be exactly the same since protosteel is another form of protodermis. Since protodermis has a lot of properties including becoming a liquid in cold temperatures along with becoming a form of energy A.K.A. energized protodermis. It begs the question how protosteel is made? Theoretically protodermis would need to be lightweight to a certain degree. For example, since most of the inhabitants is made out of protodermis, it would need to be light weight and durable as well when the toa(let’s say toa mata) wear masks for different abilities. Lewa and Pohatu need to be light enough for intense speeds and/or flight while Onua needs his claws to dig through solid rock. so from that perspective, protodermis shares the same properties as protosteel. But if protosteel is stronger and lighter how is it manufactured?
Greg if you are reading this please help me out because im so confused… :confounded:

5 Likes

It is a very interesting question, and one I want to see the answer to. It’s clear you’ve done a lot of research into, counter to my “Eh, it’s probably similar to steel’s production methods.” However, your question was rather hard to read, due to the lack of capitalization. Seeing as this question is bloody brilliant in the amount of research done, I’m looking forward to future questions from you, and proper capitalization would help that even more.

Also, Pohatu’s name is spelt as such, opposed to the spelling you used.

1 Like

thank you im glad you find this interesting. And ill be sure to use those pointers as well :wink: and i always mess up pohatu’s name every single bloody time lol and i was doing a lot of research because im doing parody off of screw attack’s deathbattle between bionicle characters, I call it “bionicle in action”. And im pairing two self MOCs together in a battle; which is my self MOC verse richarddoesthings MOC. And dont worry i will science the heck out of bionicle.

1 Like

I am really glad someone came out of the way to write this ask: I’d very much like Greg to answer this question.

But my headcanon was and always will be this: protodermis is an incredibly versatile and omnipotent form of nanomachines. Under certain circumstances it can change not only its state of aggregation (liquid protodermis, solid protodermis, gaseous protodermis(?)), but also form a crystal lattice, therefore letting it become crystal protodermis that forms most of the sand inside the Matoran Universe, not to mention Lightstones, Heatstones and other crystals.

So I theorize that if protodermis can be all of these things, it might as well be metallic protodermis (not sure if it’s canon), which can be mixed with something (magnesium, potentially? Do they even have more common elements inside the Matoran Universe?) to get Protosteel.

Now do keep in mind, that this is a very scienc-y headcanon and has nothing to do with truth. It just makes the most sense for me.

EDIT: Also if it is magnesium, I headcanon that its extraction and protosteel production is performed by Fa- and Fe-matoran all across the Matoran Universe

1 Like

That’s a very fascinating proposal that you have made regarding nano technology. However since protodermis can assume rock form, let’s say that a po-matoran was carving a statue out of the protodermis rock, due to intense chiseling the protodermis nanobot technology you proposed would in turn loose form and thus fall apart. Being unable to carve further more. And also science has proven that when quartz is fractured at its mineral form it has the potential to luminate just like glow Stone which as well disproves the purpose of nanotechnology and points to it being actual minerals. For the islands to have come to existence on top of the Mata nui robot, the crash must have cracked open several volcanic veins causing lava to spur above the water and onto the robot. And through the years began growing vegetation, just like Hawaii in a sense since it as well had a volcano erupting in the water causing land to be created above.

1 Like

But it’s been said that Mata Nui island was formed by Great Spirit Robot as a camouflage? And we can’t tell if Aqua Magna, being the shard of Spherus Magna, even had means to have volcanic activity.

And I understand your point, I am talking about some very advanced nanotech that we don’t have concept of as of yet. The Great Beings have created Matoran Universe using just Protodermis, after all.

The Lightstones, as I theorize it, work only because Karda Nui works, spreading the Light energy all across the Matoran Universe The caves around it are supposedly littered with huge Lightstone crystals. It has nothing to do with actual quartz fracturing. When Onu-Matoran dug up a lightstone cave in MNOG, the lighstones inside were already lit.

That actually brings another interesting question: was GSR programmed to not only create an island on its face, but actually fill it with everything needed for survival, including Lightstones? Too many questions, especially for Greg Farshtey - or us - to answer.

But I digress. As I’ve said before, everything in Matoran Universe is, supposedly, Protodermis, unless it’s not (there might as well be a form of Protodermis that is similar to magnesium, enabling the Protosteel production).

Protodermis is weird lol. :smiley:

EDIT: Also, we do not actually know how long the Lightstones can last. Maybe they glow glow all the time! And I don’t think fractured quartz actually can glow indefinitely. Or can it?

1 Like

Lol xD yeah it sure is weird and very confusing in how it works. And yeah Greg might not know the answer but if he does it would be awesome to hear how protosteel is manufacturer and possibly sheding light on protodermis in general. If he doesn’t know then I will just science the heck out bionicle like a dog craving for biscuits lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s basically how I, my spouse and a bunch of our friends operate. It may be a science fantasy universe with elemental biomechs and magical masks of power, but we still try to anchor this universe into something at least remotely scientifically tangible, for the peace of mind.

2 Likes

Well I certainly am desperate for answers Incase if i have to do more verses battles lol. And hey do you and your friends have a little community for me to join in? Because I enjoy theorizing

1 Like

Before I try to answer this (and no predictions that I will be able to :slight_smile: ), let me just answer one of Mugbearer’s side questions – was the GSR programmed to have an island on its face that would contain what you need to support life? Answer’s no. Nothing was ever supposed to live on its face.

7 Likes

I can see why the island on the face would have vegetation growing overtime instead of it being created by the GSR, it is an honor to have the opportunity to be talking with you. You sure have inspired me and many lives with your creativity. With all “geeking out” aside I am curious to hear how protosteel is produced. I would like to ask more questions regarding the great beings but I will save those questions for a later time :wink:

1 Like

I’d like to point out that magnesium, atleast under normal circumstances, isn’t actually magnetic. Don’t let the name fool you.

I’d also like to point out the fact that lightstones, and presumably heatstones as the Matoran did not bring heatstones with them to Spherus Magna, stopped functioning after the Codrex fully seized it’s energy output. In other words; they required power to function.

(Does this mean lightstones did not function during the small amount of time Mata Nui was dead?)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it was a leak, a leak on the camouflage system or something like that

I’m not late, not at all

No no no, I wasn’t trying to state magnesium alloy having magnetic properties. I was using magnesium alloy as an example for it being “presumably” like protodermis when it comes to durability. Protodermis has too many properties that there’s hardly any metal that’s 100% exact to it since it can be liquid form in cold and in hot conditions with it gaining solidity in between. So I was simply comparing durability, weight, and melting points. I must also add that magnesium alloy is a different element than regular magnesium with it being stronger than titanium and lighter than aluminum

Makes total sense. In my book, the Elemental Light energy circulates all over GSR thanks to Karda Nui, so all of his systems are basically Light-powered.

Flickered for a moment probably.

The question is, where did Wolk read in this thread about it… I have very scarce memory of the discussion lol. xD

Ye like if I remember correctly the general point of this thread is that Protosteel is very similar to magnesium alloy due to its properties.
Does that mean that you need to combine regular proto with magnesium?..

Well, you see, Protosteel is made when a Proto and Steel-I’ll stop here. Umm, not sure really. I’m going to make it my mission to ask my Chemistry teacher tomorrow. I’ll describe Protosteel and ask her opinion on it. See ya tomorrow with a probably Google-translated from Welsh answer as to what Protosteel is!

Well I’m more curious about the production of protosteel, since it is more light weight and more durable than regular protodermis yet protodermis has to be at least as strong and light weight as magnesium alloy, which if we were to use a layering technique (heating metal strips pounding them together to make the metal stronger, a technique for forging swords) it would also gain weight in due process, so the question is how does one lose weight in order to gain a higher grade of metal? I might do some research on finding out that answer. So simply put, protodermis plus protodermis might make it. Except for now it doesn’t seem possible since it will also gain weight

I think you won’t be able to 100% bend Bionicle to our human world physics anyway. :stuck_out_tongue: I know the urge tho. xD

3 Likes

I guess your right but gosh dangit if I have to go from scratch with atomic structure then I would for the sake of understanding bionicle physics :smile:

1 Like

I feel you. :smiley:

1 Like