Inika Quest

Book 1: Island of Discarded

Chapter 1

Toa Nuva were gathered at shore of the city of Metru Nui. A year ago, they have awakened at the island of Mata Nui, defeating a dark spirit that dwelt there. Now, the Matoran have returned to the place of their origin. The island city of Metru Nui was new environment to them, very different to Mata Nui they grew acustommed to, but it seemed to be nice place.

Suddenly, Turaga Vakama and Turaga Nuju approched the Toa, their expressions indicating that somethong wrong happened. They led them to isolated place where Turaga Dume was waiting for them.

“My friends, a dark shadow has befallen onto our beloved city.” Turaga Dume began. “I watch skies for changes in the stars. As of lately, they are becoming fewer and dimmer. I have comsulted Turaga Nuju, in his time skilled interpreter of stars’ movement, and he agrees with my findings. My friends, Great Spirit isn’t merely asleep, he is dying.”

Dume’s revelation shocked Toa Nuva to their core. After she recovered from her inital shock, Gali Nuva asked a question. “Can we do anything to save Great Spirit?”

“Yes, there is way. In same ocean in which Mata Nui is located lies an island called Wane Nui. It holds powerful mask that is the key to saving Great Spirit, Kanohi Ignika, Mask of Life.” Turaga Dume answered

“What we do once we gain the mask? It could be useful to know.” said Pohatu Nuva. “And when will we be going on big sea trip?” he added.

“Great Spirit should show you way, swift Toa of Stone.” said Turaga Vakama. “Sacred Fire whispers that stars themselves shall aid you on your quest.”

“Tommorow, you shall be departing. Let Mata Nui aid your on your journey.” Turaga Vakama finished.

Chapter 2

Island of Wane Nui

Onu-Matoran Garan travelled the Plains of Ikai, searching for source of water. Ikai was great expanse of dry earth located in southern part of the island. It stretched south of Central Mountains that divided the island in half. Not entire plains were barren. Few parts of the plains were covered by hardy grass, providing sustenance for local rahi. This grass gained the water from undereath of the plains.

Speaking of Rahi, they often weren’t friendliest sort. Stone Gafna were mostly nuisance. Through they could somehow generate rocks out of thin air, they had notoriously bad aim. Rock Mahi were harmless if one wasn’t stupid enough to threaten their young. But Thunderfoot Scorpions were something else entirely. Named for loud sound made while moving, these terrible arachnids were able to shoot lighting out of their tails.

Loud thud caused Garan to focus his attention to the sea. Strange metallic cyllinder has just crashed into the shore. Its dome-shaped lid began to rotate, revealing strange figure. Newcomer was tall biomechanical being armored in brown standing on two-clawed feet. His antlered head bore friendly expression.

“Hi, I am Akipu, Toa of Stone. Will you lead me to you village?”

x-x-x

Dalu led Toa Keira through Ahiwoki Woods. Ahiwoki covered part of the island north of Central Mountains. It was lush jungle full of life that wildly varied in danger level. Gafna Rats,through having limited elemental powers were generaly harmless. These large rodents were most common prey of local Matoran.

Brakas monkeys inhabiting Wane Nui could generate sound beams that confused target. The Matoran generaly avoided them. Burnak were much more dangerous. They were great reptilians with powerful elemental powers. The Matoran tried their best to avoid them. Of course, there were even more rahi in woods of Ahiwoki.

“We must be sure.” said Ga-Matoran Dalu.

“What I do to prove myself?” asked Keira. It seemed strange to her that Matoran here were so distrustful.

“Go and kill that Mata Nui-cursed beast.” answered Dalu.

A Muaka was prowling around Northern Koro, eating any Matoran it could get on. Predictably, this negatively affected population of the village. Already, two expeditions failed at the task of defeating feared tiger. Dalu was hoping that the stranger would solve the crisis.

Keira was led to Northern Koro. The village was surrounded by wooden fence. Carved heads were mounted upon the fence, intended to scare away rahi. To add to effect, these heads were covered with bright colored paint.

“It is coming!” whispered Dalu.

A spear appeared in Keira’s hand. The Tiger pounced upon her, but Keira dissapeared. Tiger was confused. Then,Keira appeared behind the tiger, shooting it with stream of water. The Tiger leaped at her, but Keira dodged, stabbing her spear into the Tiger.

“Good job!” applauded Dalu. Keira entered the village carrying dead Muaka, the Matoran cheering at her. Finally, Toa have arrived to the island.

Information-Koros of Wane Nui

There are currently two koros on the island of Wane Nui. Northern Koro is located in Ahiwoki Woods, while Southern Koro is located in Plains of Ikai. Ga-Matoran, Le-Matoran and Ko-Matoran mostly live in Northern Koro, while Ta-Matoran, Po-Matoran and Onu-Matoran mostly live om Southern Koro.There was once third settlement, seaside city of Mahri Nui, but it had sunk in early days of the island. Its population was mixed.

1 Like

Interesting! I was expecting a Piraka to crawl out of that canister…
I wonder who these Toa are?
Also, it’s nice to see some worldbuilding for Voya Nui
Great Job! I’m excited to see more.

1 Like

Chapter 3

Three of Toa Akini were gathered in Southern Koro. The village was built inside of a cluster of large and hollow boulders. They provided shelter and shadow for Matoran inhabiting the Plains of Ikai. Currently, the southern part of the island was mostly barren plain, but before, it was covered in grasslands. Catastrophic event that tore the island from the continent upseted local climate. Slowly, southern part of island grew drier, and now, they were mostly plantless.

Toa Wanu was in hut of Po-Matoran Velika. Velika was eccentric Matoran that others consulted for often incomphersible advice. Even Wanu could hardly understand what he meant.

“Clam grows strong with its pearl, and weak with it too. You need to turn pearl around to set clam right.” Velika said.

“What does the clam hide?” asked Wanu.

“In inner sense the pearl. In outer sense, seven veils obscur the truth.” answered Velika crypticaly. For moment, Wanu thought that the Matoran has gone mad.

x-x-x

Outside the hut, Toa of Fire Haki and Toa of Stone Akipu were disscusing later’s plan to use island’s volcano Mount Valmai to fertilize the southern portions of the island.

“I think that after Keira will lead water there, we should erupt volcano, collect ash and use it to return life to the lands. What do you think?” began Akipu.

“Volcanoes do not work that way.” said Haki.

“But really, this would help local Matoran and it is wonderous plan!” said Akipu. “We will turn the lands green by erupting volcano!”

“It won’t work.” Haki replied.

“Hey, you there, would you please tell us how volcanos work?” called Akipu at nearby Ta-Matoran.

“They rumble, and they then roar, and then great fire is in sky.” answered Matoran, whose name was Balta. “They are not my area. I scavenge for lost pieces.”

“Now we know that volcanoes rumble and roar. That will really help us.” grumbled Haki.

“As I say we should erupt volcano…” continued Akipu.

x-x-x

At opposite corner of the island, other three of Toa Akini were gathered near large tree. Earlier, they helped to divert ferocious storm, and saved Le-Matoran Piruk from den of Kavinika.

Ranui, Toa of Air began. “A spirit spoke to me that problems of this island can be solved by activating the sphere we have found.”

“Interesting… The island seems to be in unnatural state.” said Iyuki, Toa of Ice.

“Yes, I agree.” spoke Toa Keira. “Something is off about this place.”

“The spirit was wise one. He knew the ways of world.” Ranui continued. “He holds knowledge that could aid us. With it, we can save not only this island, but also Wakipe itself.”

What Ranui said surprised other three Toa. Toa Akini came originaly from the island of Wakipe. They left it long ago, helping Matoran of Southern Isles. When they finaly returned, their home island had mysteriously vanished into waves. Records from nearby islands stated that local Le-Matoran have found strange mechanism buried in depths of the jungle. Then, the island had mysteriously vanished.

And now, a spirit offered way to bring it back.

Information-Wakipe

Wakipe is an island in southern portion of Matoran universe. It is mainly covered by lush forests, but there are many other environments. Local Matoran differ from Matoran in rest of the universe in several curious ways. They can stay without Kanohi for prolonged periods of time, and posses small hornlike growths on their heads. Toa and Turaga from the island are also similary affected. Origin of these differences is shrouded in mystery.

Chapter 4

It has been a week since arrival of Toa Akini, and things have been going well. Northern Koro was expanded and reinforced against Rahi attacks, while simple cannal system has been built in Ikai. And now, Toa Ranui was unweilding solution to the island’s problems.

Matoran of Wane Nui were gathered at northern side of the foot of Mount Valmai. Makeshift podium was created and all six of Toa Akini stood there. Akipu, his antlered head bearing friendly expression.Keira, three plates siting on each side of her circularhead. Wanu, tall and thin, with deerlike antlers. Haki, bearing long blade and calm expressionon his horned head. Iyuki, curious about secrets of universe. And Ranui, antlered Toa of Air. At center of podium stood large wooden bowl filled with swirling green liquid.

Ranui began. “A powerful spirit showed me how to bring the island back to balance.”

“This device,” he ponted on ornate orb made of dark colored stone. “Shall solve our problems.”

He inserted the orb in the bowl. Ghostly lighting began to shot upwards, acompanied by sinister sounds. “Are you sure that that spirit was trusthworthy?” asked Toa Keira. “It doesn’t seem that-”

And then, blast of ghostly lighting engulfed island. All but six Matoran were robbed of their mind, and Toa Akini, tricked by the Spirit of Destruction, became six insane beings obssesed with finding Kanohi Ignika.

They became Anhiru.

x-x-x

Toa Nuva finally set foot on the island of Wane Nui. Storm clouds covered the sky, swirling with alien energies.

“This isn’t most friendly place.” Pohatu Nuva commented.

“I agree.” replied Gali Nuva.

“Now, we should find the mask.” said Tahu Nuva.

“I know that. I am not stupid.” stated Kopaka Nuva.

With that, Toa Nuva went inland. They saw rats rushling through undergrowth, and twisted monkeys in treetops, but no Matoran were in sight. Strange crabs were sitting on grounds, masquared as stones. Something seemed off about the island. Toa Nuva felt strange presence, presence they last felt in the dephts of Mangaia.

x-x-x

Keirah and Ihki were roaming the woods. Water Anhiru constantly giggled, shooting water out of her claws in random directions. Ice Anhiru suddenly stopped. “I sense.” Ihki said.

Green Le-Matoran was wandering the woods. Keirah noticed that he seemed off. “He wrong. We make him right, agree?”

“Good. We do, we discover.” Ihki replied.

Keirah pounced upon the Matoran, holding him in her claws. “You calm. We make you right.” She prepared her tail, launching Zamor orb. “Now,we make you-”

Then, launcher overcharged, causing Keirah to drop Piruk.

“Go before she recovers!” called Dalu, deactivating her Chargers.

2 Likes

Chapter 5

Toa Nuva have been searching the island since they have arrived. The island was inhabited by many strange rahi, but no Matoran were in sight.On their thrird day on Wane Nui, Toa Nuva were exploring forested regon at north of the island. Western portions of woods were very thick and full of dangerous wildlife. For that reason, the Toa have decided to explore them later.

“Eye-look, I see house-huts in greenbush. We have search-found the Matoran.” called Toa Lewa.

Indeed, a Matoran village was built It was surrounded by wooden fence onto which were mounted wooden heads. The Toa Nuva entered the gate.

“Why are locals acting so strange?” asked Pohatu Nuva. “It is like they’re not aware of us.”

“Yes, something is off about this place.” added Gali Nuva. “I can’t pinpoint it extactly, but something seems to be wrong with the island…”

Local Matoran have indeed been behaving strange. They mindlessly roamed the village, not responding to their surroundings. Something wrong clearly happened there. But what this event was? Not seeing what could be done, Toa Nuva continued onwards. The rahi birds cheerily sang their songs, unaware that anything was amiss.

As Toa Nuva continued through the forest, they noticed presence of someone living. Then, six Matoran jumped out of bush. They seemed to be somewhat strange

“Monsters! We must defend ourselves!” yelled Ga-Matoran.

Horrid sound echoed from forks held by Ko Matoran. Kopaka stuffed his ears to muffle shriek. “What is this?” yelled Gali. Tahu readied his Magma Swords. Le-Matoran leaped at Lewa, trying to scratch him, but Lewa evaded strike and sent Matoran away. Onu-Matoran shot bolt of energy at Tahu, which he deflected using his Kanohi Hau. Ga-Matoran amplified Pohatu’s stone powers, causing him to generate wall of stone around himself. Onua shook ground to break wall.

“Cease.” suddenly said Po-Matoran.

“Sorry. We thought that you are monsters-” began Onu-Matoran, but was interrupting by coming of six twisted figures.Giggling blue monster used her tail to shoot slime at Toa Nuva. Normaly, Toa Nuva would easily free themselves, but now,they were weakened from fight. Pohatu used his Kakama Nuva to restore the group to normal movement. Red monster leaped at Onua, but he summoned wall of earth to block attack.

It seemed that Toa Nuva would prevail, but green monster summoned strange flash. Suddenly, Toa Nuva were paralyzed, and watched in horror as they were carried away.

As they began to fall into strange sleep, they heard voice of the stars.

1 Like

I want to see some more! How did Makuta trick the Toa? How will these Toa fare against the Inika? I’ll be waiting for that next chapter! :smiley:

2 Likes