Introduction of BIONICLE Legends #7: Invasion Recovered

Those of you who know your BIONICLE history might recall that the original BIONICLE Legends #7Invasion — was cancelled in 2007. Well, thanks to some detective work by yours truly, and some help from BZPower’s Black Six, the introduction of Invasion has been recovered, and is now available to the public for the first time ever! You can read it by clicking here.

I’m starting this thread for two reasons: for discussion of the recovered Invasion introduction, and for discussion of lost BIONICLE media in general. BIONICLE was a massive story, and I highly doubt this one chapter of one book is all that’s almost been lost to the sands of time — and now that I’m in detective mode, I’d love some more leads to follow. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Nice I’ll read it when I get the chance!

Dang, was not expecting to see this. This is neat. @JSLBrowning Are you able to disclose how this was recovered?

3 Likes

Yeah, I can do that. I was looking through the Greg discussion archives a few days ago, trying to scrounge up any information I could on Invasion (I was planning a plot reconstruction for Wall of History). I read in one of his posts that he had sent the finished introduction to BZPower after the novel was cancelled, as they had made tentative plans to serialize it. BZPower wanted Greg to commit to finishing it, though, and Greg didn’t have the time, so those plans never came to fruition, and BZPower never released what they did get. After reading about this, I messaged Black Six, the current administrator of BZPower, and he was able to dig up the introduction.

6 Likes

@JSLBrowning We are approaching three years since this amazing discovery, so I have to ask: Do we have any chance of recovering more of the text sent to BZP?
This is such a fascinating piece of Bionicle history, a true piece of lost media. A canon novel which was never published. We know it was never finished but around 1/3rd was written prior to cancelation.
As I see it there are three tiers of completion we could achieve and currently we are at tier 1.
Tier 1 - introduction (done)
Tier 2 - rest of the text sent to BZP (to be recovered [IF there is any more])
Tier 3 - the rest of the novel left on Greg’s hard drive (to be recovered)

I think it’s unlikely we’ll ever see more. The introduction is apparently all BZPower ever received, and I think Greg said he no longer has the computer the rest was saved on.

1 Like

I found this:

Q. What’s up with Invasion? I heard it won’t be on BIONICLE.com any more, is that true? If so, will you post it here?
A. I discussed with BZP serializing it on here and sent them the first chunk, but they have not posted it yet.

So the “first chunk” is just the intro?

As to the computer:

Only 6000 words of the book were ever written, and that battle was not covered in that segment. I hadn’t reached that point yet. And the book no longer exists – the PC it was on died a long time ago.

I wonder if the dead computer is still somewhere in Greg’s basement? :thinking: