Joker (2019)

we really do live in a society

2 Likes

So I’m not super excited for this movie, but I am super excited for a good joker performance for the first time since…

Well, ever.

Look, I know everyone loves Heath Ledger’s Joker performance like it’s the crown jewels, but it’s really a terrible joker, and I was never fond of the bumbling mob boss with the bizarre pauses. He was neither intimidating, relatable, understandable… Or even really that good. A completely new character with the name Joker is not what I want.

That’s essentially what Suicide Squad did, but more “how cam we make the Joker completely sadistic and nothing else” which also completely failed. Jack Nicholson’s Joker looked the part, but if you’ve seen Burton’s Batman, you’ll be very well aware why he also misses the mark. Sometimes rather drastically.

This may be the first time we get an honestly good Joker portrayal, and I could think of no actor who could do it better. But will it be good? No idea. Not counting LEGO films the last thing I watched in theaters was Avengers.[quote=“Holi, post:34, topic:48991, full:true”]
I’m really torn about this, as on one hand it looks really good, but on the other. It misses the point of the joker. As he’s such an excellent villian due to by a perfect foil for Batman.
[/quote]

Ah, but Batman’s coming.

They probably want to test this new approach with the Joker alone and add Batman into the mix if it sticks. We already know who’s playing him, too.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any right way to define the joker. The character has been examined and changed and reimagined so much that I’m not sure any interpretation can be considered the definitive iteration of the character.

5 Likes

you can insult nicholson’s and ledger’s joker all you want but mark hamill is the best joker and i’ll stand by that until the day i die

5 Likes

Besides, we all know that Cesar Romero was the best joker

4 Likes

How was it? I won’t get to see it for a while but I’ve heard it was really good