Ketar, Lord of the Sands

“Can toa Pohatu restrain the tricky master of the desert and learn that there’s more to stone than just brute strength?”

I can’t help but imagine Scorponok from the Transformers movie right now, after writing that.

Anyway, here’s the third member of my creature revamp project. As a reminder, my goal is to visualize the creatures as tough-as-nuts elemental masters that won’t take any orders from some silly toa. Instead each toa must earn their right to learn from them. My main rule is to recycle the creature mask, but give each creature a unique set of eyes.

Each creature would potentially challenge the toa’s personalities in some way. In Pohatu’s case, he’d have to rely on quick thinking over brawn to find a way to restrain a giant scorpion that practically swims through sand. Ketar can’t be overpowered by strength only as his claws crush boulders and punch back hard. Not to mention he’s a hunter by nature.

Next time: Ikir

88 Likes

that looks really cool

2 Likes

There’s a lot to love about this. The body and legs are great. I particularly like how you turned the piece upside down and then filled it in. Very effect.

But the claws are as imposing as they could be for a creature like this. They don’t look very sharp, and it’s hard to tell which parts are actually part of the pincer. And then there’s a Bohrok eye piece at a perpendicular angle pointing down. That seems a bit strange.

The head, tail and body are so awesome though. No doubt about that.

2 Likes

The ‘thumbs’ of the pincers are angled with triaxles. The silver bohrok eyes were the most minimalist solution to cover the exposed third axle. I tried other things, but they were too out of place to fit there.

Ahh, ok. That makes sense. Would it look better if they weren’t angled downwards though? Like, what if they pointed forward?

In general I think it’s neat that you went totally custom for the claws. I just think they could be a lot more menacing looking if you went with some type of blade. Like these Carapar pincers, for example.

I tried that, but it also looked out of place. The bohrok eye wasn’t snuggly against the thumb, just pointing outwards like the biggest hangnail ever. Not very appealing =B

Probably, but I wanted to emphasize brute strength with Ketar. The pincers are more like boxing gloves, with a huge crushing force, so Pohatu shouldn’t even consider a fist fight with a creature that punches back harder than he can punch it.

2 Likes

You made it look good!

2 Likes

I dont like sand.

It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

2 Likes

Also you from Finland??

I am indeed.

I think what you meant to call him was ketar, the SAND GUARDIAN, GUARDIAN OF THE SAND

1 Like

So this is why Anakin really hates sand, He could not take in this beautiful masterpiece.

1 Like

Oh…my lord. That is literally the greatest thing I’ve seen this week lol.

1 Like

this is just great… Ilove the way you combined the silver, trans yellow, and brown. good job!