Matoran don't have teeth?

I heard somewhere that Matoran canonically don’t have teeth. Is this true, or am I misinformed?

3 Likes

Watch Mask Of Light again to see.

I don’t believe Mask of Light is the greatest place to go for official BIONICLE canon.

2 Likes

But they talk and stuff in it. With teeth.

2 Likes

It might be me, but I honestly do not remember a single character in the movie with actual teeth. Yes, they have some some kind of moving thingy when they talk, but I’ve never seen teeth.

EDIT: I checked Mask of Light, and about five minutes in you have a closeup of Takua saying “uh… Jaller!” or something like that, and there’s no teeth.

Not a Matoran, but an Agori/Glatorian/whatever being though…

1 Like

Nah, Mata Nui smiled in the Legend Reborn. It was right after surfing on his living shield’s face down a cliff wall.

True. But the movies aren’t exactly the most accurate things.

1 Like

Remember the Takua meme?

Aside from the Hordika design, I’ve never heard of anything non canon in them. Even the Rahkshi opening their shell is a thing, and the Rahaga’s spinny things match the set design.

Also, if in the sets the Matoran don’t have teeth, then (at least for me) it’s quite the definitive sign that they don’t.

The mouth thing in the first three movies, aswell as for Mata Nui in TLR is non-canon. The Masks are inanimate. If I recall correctly, the the Matoran species doesn’t have a mouth.

The helicopter thing on the Rahaga is non-canon, and do not equal rhotuka spinners. They could use the rhotuka spinners to fly, as you see the Hordika during the battle towards the end of the movie.

In TLR the Agori and Glatorian look a lot more robotic, having the pins and bolts.

In general, the looks of the movies are not considered accurate, with a few exceptions.

Mata Nui’s body based on a Toa (however he is not one), he is not based on a Glatorian.

3 Likes

Matoran don’t need teeth, there is nothing they need to chew.

15 Likes

They kinda do in the sets though.
But anyway, thanks for bringing some legitimate (hopefully) information, the thought process seems quite legit.

Which sets are you thinking of? O.o

Pretty much all of the head pieces LEGO produced for BIONICLE had visible mouths where the masks were attached.

In terms of the Matoran, I belive they do have mouths. Otherwise, all of the references to them smiling, frowning, and making other expressions in the books are wrong. I can recall multiple instances where mouths were referred to in the novels.

2 Likes

As @Toa_Heatwave said, pretty much every Bionicle head piece has a mouth

Those axle attachments are undeniably mouths.

The “mouths” in the sets were for the masks to attach, in story iirc, these would have been magnets with “speakers”. As for the expressions in the novels, I have no idea how that’d work.

1 Like

The expressions most likely wouldn’t work, but the novels had to live in the movie universe and the moviemakers insisted on the masks having expressions. IRL, it would be more like Iron Man’s helmet (granted, comic artists have had his helmet sweat in the past, but that’s neither here nor there).

8 Likes

Well, if we assume the masks attach magnetically (I believe you mentioned once that they do) then they could attach anywhere on the face, meaning that the mouth area could remain open like in the movies.

The Legend Reborn did something like this with Mata Nui, where the Mask of Life had a retractable mouthplate, sort of like Optimus Prime’s in Transformers. Maybe other Kanohi could function that way?

lewa nuva’s miru had teeth

The masks are purely metal objects. They are inanimate and solid. If there are “teeth” on the mask, they’re not real teeth, simply detailing.

1 Like

worth a try though