Metroid Series

Let’s go, a game that fully leans into the horror elements established by Fusion? I’m in. Triple A horror has been getting a bit stale lately.

2 Likes

So my dad works at nintendo and he said this is the final box art we’ll be receiving:

Honestly it’s really funny how now that Metroid Dread is a thing, the really crappy fake art of the title from the last 10+ years is so bad in comparison
Even the best stuff looks completely pathetic next to the real thing

3 Likes

I too get slight chuckles now instead of sadness.

1 Like

Yo, in anticipation for Dread, here’s my rundown on the series up to this point.

Metroid (NES) - Utterly terrible, only really worth revisiting as a historical curio. The bosses suck, the controls suck, the music is 90% trash, and I get sick of playing it after three minutes.

Metroid II: The Return of Samus - Underrated. Unlike 1, II is beatable without a guide. It also has crouching, which is p essential. Finally, it has some pretty ambitious environmental storytelling for a GB game. Still, it’s not really worth playing in the modern age.

Super Metroid - Overrated, imo, but that’s not saying much since it’s often touted as the best game of all time. Super suffers from weird jumping physics, but apart from that it’s stellar, pioneering many tropes of the genre. Thick atmosphere, fun bosses, memorable area layouts, brilliant. Still worth playing today, if you can get past the controls.

Metroid: Fusion - I find it the first Metroid game to have a perfect control scheme. The combat is smooth, the SA-X is scary, the story is engaging (if a bit direct), and its structure makes it perfect for on the go gaming.

Metroid: Prime - Phenomenal. Controlling Samus (I’ve only played the Wii version) is satisfying on its own, it’s fun to just hop from one ledge to the other. Environmental storytelling is on lock, the optional lore is fun, everything rocks.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Outstanding. Takes the familiar formula set up with Prime 1 and iterates on it, expanding the lore of the universe and creating a unique tone for itself, memorable villains, and nnew powerups. It just has such a unique aesthetic to it.

Metroid: Zero Mission - Probably the best 2D Metroid ever made. It carries over the tight controls of Fusion, while also giving the play a far less linear world to explore.

Metroid Prime: Hunters - A surprisingly good singleplayer experience. This, imo is probably the creepiest Metroid ever got, what with the mysterious nature of your mission briefing, the atmospheric soundtrack, and the lore entries that paint an interesting story viewed out of order. The controls are also fun, lending themselves to the exciting interations with the Hunters themselves. Not a masterpiece, but worth the time investment to me.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Probably the weakest of the trilogy, but that’s not saying much; this game rocks. A heavier focus on combat and the federation really sells this game as the bombastic sendoff to the trilogy, definitely a classic.

Metroid: Other M - I’m not sure whether I dislike this game more or less than Metroid NES. I don’t think I’ll ever figure it out either, because I don’t really replay games I don’t like, so I can’t for certain say which I have a worse time with.

Metroid: Samus Returns - A good return to form. It has pretty good controls, better than Super’s, imo, though it doesn’t quite reach Fusion or Prime levels of quality. I’m not sure it quite justifies its existence as much as Zero Mission or even AM2R did. However, that’s not to say SR is bad, it has the always solid gameplay loop of the series, has all the same fun upgrades, but in the end just feels like more of the same. Still, I’m glad we got it, if only to give the devs practice before they jumped into Dread

Part of what’s interesting to me about the online Metroid culture is how pervasive the fangame and hacking community is. Many of the fan games in existence reach or surpass the qualities of the originals; AM2R, Rogue Dawn, Hyper Metroid, and mOTHER, to name a few, are all worth playing to this day, imo. There’s always another Super Metroid hack to play if the original gets boring.

So yeah, I’m looking forward to Metroid 5.

3 Likes

What about Metroid Prime Federation Force?

1 Like

Didn’t happen.

It has ceased to exist

1 Like

Oh geez, FF? It doesn’t really register as a Metroid game for me, you know? It’s so far away from the genre of Metroidvania that it’s not even really a Metroid game. It’s entertaining enough for what it is, and I appreciate the worldbuilding, but I never sunk much time into it because of how disconnected the genre is. I’ve got similar feelings towards BotW or Mario Bros 2, they’re all just too different from the main series for me to care all that much. I hear it’s better when you’re playing it with friends in the room, and I never did that, so I suppose I’ve never experienced it “the proper way”, so maybe it’s better than I give it credit for!

Now, Prime Pinball, actually. I love Prime Pinball, like how I love pinball in general. It’s not a good Metroid game, but it’s a good Pinball game, so I like it on that level. It’s interesting how they translated Prime mechanics and settings into Pinball form, I like it.

So yeah, I didn’t forget those two games, I just didn’t mention them because I don’t feel like they count. What do you think of FF?

Real.

2 Likes

I think FF should count. Yes, it’s a spinoff, but it’s still part of the franchise.
Games don’t have to be the same genre to belong to the same series.

1 Like

Bada bing Bada boom I resurrect this topic from its doom

So the official second trailer just dropped

I’m hyped.

Edit: so it seems Nintendo has once again dmca’d a Metroid fan project (prime 2d), but on the bright side this can only mean one thing.

Metroid prime trilogy hd???

3 Likes

Looks like the Chozo’s past feature more than just the Metroids in their darker historic chapters.

1 Like

new overview trailer.

Auto captions called her Samsha

1 Like

two new trailers were released for dread today.
direct trailer with some incredible orchestral music

2006 marketing incarnate that absolutely slaps

1 Like

I just hope this isn’t a 60$ game that’s only 10 hours long.

well, that entirely depends on how long it takes you to play

Metroidvanias are not usually limited to having a minimum or max amount of gameplay time, and most you can play at your own pace

Yes, but maps can be big, maps can be small. There can be a lot of items, and there can be a few.

1 Like

For Metroid titles, taking 10 hours would be pretty average.
My first playthroughs of all the games were all between 9-12 hours.
I wouldn’t realistically expect much more than that.

2 Likes

My fellow Metroid fans, in less than 24 hours the game informer prophecy from 2005 shall finally be fulfilled.

All hail the informed gamer

1 Like

This will be fun.

5 Likes

finished Metroid Dread two days ago. Man, was it a fun, but difficult game.

And i did not expect that final portion of the game.

3 Likes