Mods To the 2016 Sets

Hmmm. Could it be possibe to make Storm Beasts’ puppet function with the tail being separate, just on the crotch balljoint and puppet function being operated with smaller mixel bar thingys introduced in Skull Scorpio?

Why are all the sets with those mixel bars on their functions somewhat lacking in many areas of posing?

Someone pls fix the sets with mixel balljoints.

OH GOD I NEED IT, NEED IT NOW, maybe changing the skull spiders will make it better anyways?

1 Like

9 Likes

I’ve got Axalara but I’m not going to dug the pieces up anytime soon.
Could someone try to do something like this for Storm Beast and see how it works.

http://lego.brickinstructions.com/08000/8794/015.jpg

8 Likes

This is pretty dang amazing dude

Yeah, first of all the gears don’t line up on the actual torso like that and second when you try and use the function it hardly “moves” the arms at all.
Sorry about that but it’s a good concept

They were introduced long before skull scorpio

2 Likes

I swapped out those upper limb bones on UtD’s ankles for lower limb bones.
100% better.

~W12~

2 Likes

Here are my revamps of Umarak and Ekimu. I’m pretty happy with how they turned out, but I didn’t change much about the sets, because they were pretty great.

Ekimu:

The one thing that really bugged me with the set was the legs. The legs were quite short and stubby at the bottom, and noticeably much lankier at the top. I appreciated the similar look to his Okotan form, but I knew there was another way of executing this. Firstly, I switched all limbs to Trans. Light Blue, like his 2015 form, and I lengthened his height by two extenders. The lower legs turned out fairly nice, using the armor from last year with some 5M Gold Armor. The upper legs are just like Lewa’s, but they use different limbs and are all in Trans. Light Blue.

I didn’t change anything with the torso, it’s exactly the same. I really enjoyed the shoulder connection in person, so I found no reason to change it. The friction in the gearbox was just enough for the hammer, so I left that be as well. The arms are the same, except for a limb swap on the right arm, and the new hammer. I liked the 2016 hammer, but I feel like was an underwhelming choice not to include a stud-shooter. That being said, I used an ingenious design by @LoganMcOwen, that being an amazing double stud-shooter hammer.

Umarak:

Oh boy, I love this set now. I tried to retain the look of the original set, while making him a little bigger, a little better, and less gappier. First, I modified the torso to have a fuller look, adding in some 4M CCBS armor and a pin filler. I completely removed the original neck, and instead gave him a trans. neon green limb with some 4M CCBS Armor. This is a much better alternative that is still eligible for a $25 set.

The legs are not too different in appearance, but they are different. I flipped the bohrok eyes to my liking, and I replaced the hinge limb with an unhinged one for more articulation. With that, I added some 4M Armor on the back on the limbs, and replaced the knee-cap bohrok teeth with shadow trap halves, one having a chain to follow the look of the halve on the shoulder. For the upper legs, I didn’t like that they had shortened the height by two pins, so I added the original height of Umarak’s upper legs. The arms aren’t modified much, the only modification being swapped limbs on the upper arm. These limbs work much better here than they did on the legs, and the crystal armor looks much better with this liimb.

I have more photos, and they will be coming soon.

14 Likes

These are awesome!
Great job.

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

One thing, though.
Can the stud shooters actually shoot, and if yes, how?

2 Likes

You can turn the Wheel-like pieces on the back of each end. Here’s a photo from @LoganMcOwen’s Flickr. He came up with this, and it’s a really nice function. Works like a charm. I appreciate his builds and techniques because they build up lots of inspiration. Check out his Flickr when you get a chance.

3 Likes

I used an extender on the foot, two pin-hole bones on the lower legs, and 5M Limbs with extenders on the upper leg. Both bone lengths I used on this revamp are available in Gali Master and Kopaka Master. You can also find the 5M Gold Armor Shells in Kopaka Master as well. The add-ons are from last year’s and this year’s Ekimu sets. I hope this helps.

1 Like

First post on the Boards. Gonna try to do this right.

First up is my “revamp”/mod of Quake Beast. It’s mostly the inner construction that’s changed and not really the appearance. I like the appearance you know?

This is how it appears from the front. Not so changed, correct? You’ll so how things are changed once I get to the back view. I also gave him the 2016 Toa torso for waist arcticulation and height. He’s kinda short.

Back construction. He has the waist swivel along with the genius gearbox design by @MaskmakerOfLight . Great design. His legs are also changed to be longer and look better to me. Also a purple spike because 1 solid purple piece is not enough!

Time for Lava Beast.

Visible changes. Lower leg design(except for feet) changed to be better looking and more basic. That’s a tire piece on the 2nd joint.

Second pose. You can see some of the back things and the little trans-orange 3 long armor piece used to fill in the chest.

Back contruction. That really long trans-orange piece from Jawblade. HF is useful for pieces. :slight_smile: You can also see that armor piece and the bohrok eyes.

Now for Storm Beast.

You can see the differences. Bohrok eyes on feet, claws, different digitigrade leg design. Hands and arms have been changed, elongated tail and some white pieces to better match with his nemesis, Kopaka.
Pose two. Just a casual.

That elongated tail makes wonders to make it look better. Also more white spikes.
Now time for the best idea of the year.

Since I’m a n00b MOCist, I just took a Bionicle Gen 1 hand piece, and a ball joint, and locked it in place. It works!

The Maker of Masks himself, EKIVUH! Wait it’s Ekimu? okay!
A lot of changes. The double gatling gun hammer design by @LoganMcOwen
Upper leg shortened, lower leg lengthened with that great armor add-on. Lower legs are all GOLD. Still less gold than Tahu 2k16. :smiley:

Casual Ekimu showing off the upper arms.

Gearbox moved down a notch, and symmetrical gears!
Also trans light blue studs on lower legs just because.

Now for the big bad.
El Jerko.
El Destructor.
The Destroyer.
UMARAAAAAK.

RAWWWWWWR “UmaRAWWWWRk”
Lengthened upper leg. Changed that bone piece connecting to the back of his foot with the ones that form Pohatu 2015’s upper arms. Added armor onto them. I added spikes onto the upper legs and gave him his sword. :slight_smile:
The upper arms have been shortened, and the armor pieces leading and on his neck have all been replaced with slightly longer ones. I also added black studs and gold studs onto his horns to cover up those holes.

Regular Umarak.

Here’s his back shot. As you can see not much on the torso has changed from the back. And that sword too.

Neck design. It’s a modified version of the one Play Stippling made. Uses two 5-long liftarms, those 3 long balljoint liftarms, two 3-long pins, two 2-long pins, the lower legs of Tahu 2015, and part of Ketar’s tail. Yay. Oh and also a tire.
Let’s take a closer look behind that CHEST!
I attached some armor pieces to cover up some side gaps. I think I did okay? Also attached a beast foot and a Splitter Beast hand to cover up some gaps.

So that was all my Summer 2016 set modifications for now! I’ll probably showcase my 2016 Winter wave mods SOON. I’m also a n00b MOCer.

19 Likes

Welcome.
Not bad.

1 Like

I really like the Ekimu one.

1 Like

can you please send some better pics on how you re-did storm beast??? its soooo cool

Gosh darnit, so many of the mods I’ve been thinking of making are here :confused: Nice work!

1 Like