Monarth, the Dream Warden (7th Anniversary Edition)

Do you know… the giants? The silver one… and the black one.

The air itself tore open in a cataclysm over the arid lands and the giants fell through. The foreign lands phased the silver one, but they say the black one was prepared, for they took battle right away. They were not satisfied and they would fight to the end.

They fought through the night. They were large and powerful, destroying the grounds in the wake of their battle. Their might echoed across Maanos.

…But every battle comes to an end. The black one won at sunrise, but in an act of mercy forgave his opponent. The titans reconciled… and vanished.

Their fate unknown, they marked the rise of the ones in the shadows. Unheard of, forgotten, solitary. Entities rose far and wide, each seeking their own ends.

The mad scavenger of the keep: The Leech.

Cultists dedicated to the realms of the mind: The Dreamers.

…And the reclusive warriors of the Sanctum: The Divided.

But… life was in peril. The dead were restless, the living refused to die, the inanimate wouldn’t remain unmoving… And when natural order is not contained, wardens will rise…

Today it has been exactly 7 years since I uploaded my selfmoc’s first version online. To celebrate that occasion, I gave him a major overhaul just for this day. This marks as his 3rd version as a warden and 12th version as my selfmoc. They grow up so fast. Literally. He’s 45cm tall, which is way bigger than any other version of his before.

I’m truly satisfied with how he looks now and also got to implement some sweet designs, like 5-digit hands and a posable mouth with teeth that remains subtle.

I hope you like him as much as I do.

The back initially looked a little better, but the need to put some extra arm support gave the upper area some extra. I think this picture angle is a little off, since it doesn’t look as bad live.

A blacklight version of one of the pictures. This is how one could encounter Monarth in their dreams, since dreamwalking is one of his main powers.

Thanks for looking.

84 Likes

fingers look weird, I don’t know what it is really
everything else looks fantastic

1 Like

Lol I think there’s a misunderstanding here, but I thought this was funny

This MOC is really nice. I enjoy especially the shaping of the head and the particular use of color in specific places.

2 Likes

You might confuse that with sleepwalking.

Thanks either way =]

1 Like

Wow, this guy is huge! That head is really magnificent. I think I like the last version a little better, simply because it’s a bit more streamlined, but this is still an awesome MOC.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can see your point. Building in large scale can potentially mean losing some of the streamlined simplicity of the smaller scale (something I pondered throughout the build), but it also grants access to greater options for details. It pretty much comes to personal opinion whether you prefer simpler or more complex aesthetics.

2 Likes

Intimidating.

1 Like

Wow. This MOC establishes a whole new paradigm of awesome. I can’t get over the ingenuity of the build combined with how monstrous and menacing it is. It’s too much. no mas, no mas!

1 Like

This is fantastic, the weapon especially.

1 Like

That shaping is glorious

1 Like

You killed it man, this is fantastic!

1 Like

Scary hands flawless build

1 Like

I’ve silently followed the progression of this MOC for quote some time. There’s been a lot of flaws come and go, some good designs left too. But now - I don’t want to say “In the end” - I think it’s been worth it.

You’ve really enhanced as a builder, Monarth, and I can’t wait to see what you have in store for the future. The build is in every way absolutely fantastic - flaws are small and few. For instance, the flatness of the hands is a bit bland, and there’s a few gaps here and there. It’s not perfect, but this is currently the best thing on the site… And may stay that way for a while. :wink:

Keep up the incredible work!

3 Likes

That’s just how character evolution goes. The nail doesn’t always hit the mark, but each time you get a little more knowledgeable and over time it starts to show naturally.

I’ve been mocing 10 years, out of which Monarth’s existed 7. I’m glad to hear it shows. I don’t always post “masterpieces”, but I think it’s more because I’m not so self-conscious that I wouldn’t post my weaker mocs. It’s also because I explore so many areas from titans to chibis and humanoid to creatures, so the quality varies. However, I’m always eager to share those efforts and gain that knowledge on how to improve, so that I can provide more great mocs in higher variation. =]

Thanks a lot for the in-depth response. I appreciate when people put the effort to tell in detail their opinions.

But darn, should’ve known to armor the hands. =P I actually considered that, but thought that they’d look too bulky.

1 Like

Wow! Quite a magnificent MOC!
It’s been a while since I’ve been this amazed by a MOC.
Great parts usage!
Very well done, hahah.

2 Likes

Excellent build! I like how you’ve implemented some of the newer pieces since his last version (like the SW CCBS thigh armor shells and shoulder clip-ons).

I’m torn between this one and the last one as my favorite; the previous Monarth had a very armored, jointed, smooth design, and I think the lantern and staff were more proportionate then. This one is fabulous as well, especially given his size, poseability, and detail (that head is marvelous), but he feels a lot more menacing then before.

Great work! Keep it up!

1 Like

More parts + bigger size = less smoothness. Of course, there is an option to start playing with small parts for a smoother design, but my principles lie in sturdiness and playability, which is why I don’t do that too much besides the heads. I don’t like seeing parts fall off from a breeze, figuratively speaking, so I choose to find my solutions in larger parts. There is also technic panels, but those don’t play so well for an organic look.

Fair point on the staff and lantern. They’re essentially the same, I just polished their designs a little, so they didn’t scale along with the build. The staff got a longer pole, but that’s about it. I think the axe still fits his scale though and a lantern will light the way no matter the size, so I don’t think it’s that big of a deal.

Thanks a lot =] There’s already a new moc in the works, but no guarantees on the quality. The build’s quite experimental. =P

1 Like

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

2 Likes

This reminds me SO MUCH of Darkstalker from the Wings Of Fire series. Which means he’s awesome.

1 Like