Official Star Trek Discussion Topic

I don’t want to spoil anything for you, but some things change in the later seasons. I feel like there was a bit less technobabble in the later seasons, so if you don’t care for the science jargon too much, the later seasons may be a little more interesting.

And what calvatron said.

Personally, I liked it from beginning to end just about equally.

1 Like

That’s good to know. I’m willing to keep going, just keeping my dad interested is a little hard.

Your dad is not a Trekkie, or does he just not care for Voyager in particular?

1 Like

Oh he’s totally a trekkie, but he’s more into TOS and TNG.

2 Likes

For those of you who love Captain Kirk’s awesome fights.

As for myself, I actually enjoy watching the campy and cheesy original series. Something about how weird but fun it got really made it enjoyable.

Although I much prefer The Next Generation. The storylines and ideas are so good in there. The original has quite the few cookie-cutter episodes.

3 Likes

To be fair, while the original does re-use a few too many ideas, TNG wasn’t always a bastion of originality either. A lot of the stories they came up with for characters like Riker, Troi, and Dr. Crusher were really cliché. I think the problem is that TNG was written mostly by professional Hollywood scriptwriters (who can be great, but are prone to rely upon unoriginal ideas), whereas TOS relied more on science fiction authors (who tend to be more imaginative, if not necessarily as “polished”). I prefer the latter approach, personally. XD

1 Like

So many “Holodeck gone wrong” eps…

Not that I’m really complaining…

3 Likes

I think this video is pretty good. It elucidates some of the reasons why Kirk is my favorite Captain, in particular his stance on the Prime Directive.

UPDATE 11/2/15

I keep updating this post every few months

I feel so alone :cry:

Copying my review of Beyond here so you’re not so alone, Jogn :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess it was a little better than Into Darkness… But it suffered from the same blockbuster cliches. They destroyed the Enterprise again. Dumb villain revenge plot. World destroying artifact and plan to use it on a bunch of peaceful civilians just like Guardians of the Galaxy. Finding some ingenious escapee who helps them. And I still have problems with how they wrote the characters… Well, Kirk especially. TOS Kirk takes risks because he has to. This Kirk takes risks for the hell of it and makes riskier plans than are needed.
Oh, and the whole swarm enemy ships thing is lifted from Ender’s Game. Although the Beastie Boys Ex Machina was rather entertaining.

6/10. :confused:

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I think I liked it a little better. The scenes with Spock and Bones were great, for instance. And they at least tried to have a more thoughtful story than the last two movies, though it came off as being condescending to people in the military (it was kinda similar to “The Wounded” from TNG, come to think of it). I don’t have a huge problem with this Kirk being reckless because he’s clearly a different person than the “real” Kirk–he had a completely different upbringing and overall set of experiences. That being said, in the end, it was mostly just a typical action movie with Star Trek elements. It did a better job at being “Star Trek” than the other two, but it’s still not quite there.

3 Likes

How do you define this?

Do you mean nerdy or just stuff with a bunch of space weirdness?

1 Like

The focus was on the action scenes, not the characters or philosophical musings. However, it still did put more focus on the latter two elements than the other movies did. 09 had a decent character focus IMO, but it didn’t really give you much to ponder. STID tried to develop the characters and give you things to think about but failed at both. But Beyond did pretty well with the character stuff and did, if not well with the “philosophical” stuff, then at least better than the other two.

3 Likes

Beyond was good, probably my favorite of the JJ films. It felt closer to “old” Star Trek, especially with the character of Kirk.

Anyway, my favorite series is definitely TNG with Picard. It started off kind of meh, but eventually turned into such a fascinating show. I also have more nostalgia for it than the original series :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/debrabirnbaum/status/763526155525697537

Welp, the new show is officially a prequel

'Cause that worked out so well for Enterprise. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Weeeelp.

Is that 10 years pre-Kirk’s birth? Or pre-Kirk in Starfleet?

… Cuz if it’s the latter I could totally see them shoving in chance encounters with old characters just because. :confused:

1 Like

I think it’s 10 years pre-TOS.

1 Like

Just saw Beyond this week and I agree with you there. Some parts of it did feel a bit contrived to me, but I liked it overall. As much flak as Into Darkness gets, I actually preferred Khan to Krall as a villain (probably just because of Benedict Cumberbatch). That being said, I’ll really need to watch the movie a second time to formulate a solid opinion on the various aspects. I picked up on a lot of the TOS moments though. Those were great.

1 Like

Happy Star Trek day, everyone! For anyone not in the know, the first episode broadcast 50 years ago today.

3 Likes

Welp, Bryan Fuller is no longer the show runner for Star Trek Discovery. He still is working on the show, albeit as an executive producer-but a new writer has also been added to the staff. Akiva Goldman, whose writing credits include the 1998 lost in space movie, I robot, and Batman and Robin. So I’m rather concerned about how Star Trek Discovery will turn out.

1 Like

To be fair, Goldman also wrote the screenplay for “A Beautiful Mind,” which won the Oscar that year. But the showrunner stepping down definitely isn’t a good sign. On the bright side, as far as we can tell, the production is nowhere near as chaotic as the early work on TNG was. I do have kind of a sinking feeling, though. =/

1 Like