Plans for multiple Makuta

Where there always plans for there to be multiple Makuta or was it though of later. If so, when?

3 Likes

Iā€™m 98% sure that there wasnā€™t. Mainly due to the fact teridax is referenced as ā€œthe makutaā€ or ā€œmakutaā€, and how there is never a mention of many makuta making rahi just one, and finally he is said to be mata nuiā€™s brother.

4 Likes

The first time Makuta alludes to other members of his kind is in Legends of Metru Nui, where he invites Vakama to join him and his brothers. But I also seem to recall Greg saying the idea came about in 2005.

To my knowledge, no, that was not part of the original plan. But I also donā€™t know how far the original plan extended in detail, since no one expected the line to last as long as it did.

4 Likes

I think there he was referring to Krekha, Nidhiki, and Nivawk, since heā€™d just absorbed them.

I doubt that Teridax would consider any of those three as his brothers. Heā€™s very arrogant, and ā€œhas no allies, for he has no equalsā€. He is most likely referring to the other Makuta I think.

1 Like

Since the Brotherhood of Makuta became a thing later, I figured he meant his brothers as in the other members of the organizationā€¦at least at that point in the story. There were little bits of exposition in the novels and tie in books about Makuta being a mentor to Sidorak, and I figured maybe there were more characters like that who were his disciples.

Mata Nui and Makuta (you know which one) had been ā€œbrothersā€ for all that time. Makuta might have been offering Vakama ascension to become a titan set in 2005, or at least make him a lieutenant in the Brotherhood.

1 Like

The brotherhood of Makuta was a thing established atleast as early as 2005, if not 2004. (Which funnily enough lead to speculation that ā€˜Makutaā€™ was,not only a species, but also the name of the species, as would be revealed in 2008.) The brotherhood was mentioned by name in a series of BZPower posts called ā€œBIONICLE Myths and Misconceptionsā€ which was written in 2005-2006 by a fan, debunking way old misconceptions like Toa turning back into Matoran. So, it was established in canon by the time of 2005, and presumably by the story team, in 2004 atleast.

But of course; That doesnā€™t mean that the brotherhood was originally intended to be composed of Makuta, nor that it was part of the original story bible, which it probably wasnā€™t at all.

1 Like

Makes sense. I think the Brotherhood was a 2005 reveal, with the Hagah and the Time Trap episode.