Question about Mata-Nui Robot?

Hello Greg. I wanted to ask something about the Mata Nui Robot:
The Mata-Nui’s robot wasn’t revealed until 2008 when Mata-Nui finally awakened. I wanted to ask if Vakama and everyone else in the matoran universe were aware of the Robot’s existence before the Great Cataclysm happened?
Like for instance, the matoran of Metru Nui lost their memories after the Great Cataclysm occurred. Did Vakama tell the matoran about the Robots existence?

2 Likes

No. The Turaga, Matoran etc. were not aware they were living inside a giant robot. To them, this was simply their universe.

10 Likes

Following on from this, were any beings within the MU aware, other than Tren Krom? I’ve always assumed Helryx and the OoMN might have had some idea.

2 Likes

Didn’t Zaktan, and at least Teridax, figure it out at some point before Teridax actually took over? I am also pretty sure that Teridax didn’t exactly know that there was a place that he could take over the universe in a physical sense until he knew some more things about the nature of the universe, I.E. it being a body or vessel for the Great Spirit AI/spirit.

1 Like

I believe Teridax figured it out in 2007 when he (in the body of a Maxilos robot) fought with Karzahni. Karzahni showed him a vision of a future where the Toa Nuva reawaken Mata Nui. This is when Teridax gets the idea to take over the Mata Nui Robot… I think.

1 Like

No, he was aware the idea for thousands of years before that. The Plan was kickstarted when Mutran met with Tren Krom and learned about the secrets of the universe. The exact time of this event is unknown, but it took place at some point before the Brotherhood’s raid on Artakha, which itself took place at least 1300 years ago (which is when the Hagah stole the Avohkii from Destral).

Although he didn’t always intend to completely take over the universe, Teridax was aware of its nature as a physical being, and used that knowledge to put the robot to sleep.

As for who else knew about the existence of the robot: we know that both Zaktan and Pridak found the room containing the entirety of The Plan, but we don’t know exactly how much they each figured out about the true nature of the universe. Pridak learned enough to understand how Teridax used viruses to put Mata Nui to sleep, but it is unclear if he knew that Mata Nui’s body was their universe. Zaktan, however, was implied in Dwellers In Darkness to know everything:

“Makuta!” said Helryx. “I know what you’re planning. You won’t get away with it.”

“You know?” Teridax repeated, amused. “If you knew, you would be fleeing in panic, Toa. No, you suspect … just as Zaktan does. Or perhaps he does more than that?”

This quote also implies that the Order isn’t aware of the existence of the Great Spirit Robot; Helryx is clearly aware that the Core Processor is important to the universe, and that Teridax controlling it is bad, but Teridax seems to think that she doesn’t fully understand the nature of the machines.

Finally, we know that Brutaka knows about the robot after falling into the Antidermis, as he lays out the true importance of the Core Processor very clearly in the same story:

Brutaka nodded. “We … we stand in as close to the mind of Mata Nui as it is possible to be. If we destroy this place, we destroy that mind, and doom the universe.”

“I don’t understand,” said Toa Norik. “If this is Mata Nui’s mind … where is his body?”

Brutaka gestured broadly, indicating everything around them. “It is our universe, Toa. We live inside the Great Spirit. But now Teridax has taken root in that body and controls it … controls all. As soon as the Toa Nuva awaken the body, Teridax will be unleashed to rain darkness on all who live.”

3 Likes

You make a great point on that. It seems that Helyrx or even the Order of Mata Nui weren’t aware of the giant robot, despite being made before the Brotherhood of Makuta was formed.

1 Like