Question about other MU Inhabitants

if the Great Beings created the Matoran to act as nanites meant to work Mata Nuis systems and Mata Nui created the Makuta to populate his universe with fauna for its ecosystem why were the other countless sapient species like the Skakdi and Vortixx created?

only origins/purposes we know of are the Zyglak were an unforeseen byproduct of the Krana creation process and so have no purpose and the Kestora who were the technicians of the Red Star but only two other species were named and have no purposes.

I ask because some wiki about tabletop games said on their Bionicle page that the Vortixx were created to manufacture spare parts for the mechanical aspects of the MU until their AI awakening made them industrialists and weapons designers but I saw nothing like that on the official Bionicle wiki nor mentioned here.

so do other sapient species have purposes in the MU? like I dunno the matoran act as Stem Cells, Scabbing cells and I think hormones by way of being delivered from the brain (Metru Nui) to other organs (islands) are the other species more specialized cells? like going with my hypothetical spar parts manufacturing purpose of the Vortixx could be considered the Stomach since they convert raw material into elements the body can use.

3 Likes

Important note here is that most sapient species were created by Mata Nui and not by the Great Beings, which may imply they don’t necessarily serve a greater or critical role in the system, however presumably they’d been created for some purpose. Also there’s like 40+ known sapient species (most unnamed, some may or may not be of the same species) which questions of any of them really serve too specific of a role.
It’ll be interesting to see what Greg says on this.

FYI, there is no official Bionicle wiki. There’s the BIONICLE Wikia and BioSector01, out of which the latter is vastly superior in accuracy. Both are fanmade. (I think Greg uses/used BS01 on occasion though?)

3 Likes

yeah, I figured Mata Nui himself created all the other sapients. and I was gonna namedrop BS01 but didn’t know if it was allowed.

I forget who it was on another forum but when it was revealed Mata Nui was an explorer’s vessel meant to research alien cultures someone suggested that the various non-matoran sapients were proxies of the various alien races he may have studied so he can experiment to which cultures were best. like for example, the Skakdi were some medieval Orcs due to their warmongering and I think Vortixx were some stock sci-fi race that was the opposite extreme of being sufficiently advanced and both cultures had faults.

I think Greg shot that down though.

where do we get the 40+ number though? was it an official number mentioned or taken from the number of one-off members the series had and extrapolated to one character = one race/species?

also wonder how many actual sapient beings were in the MU, like the total population of the universe.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s bascially because of the Dark Hunters, which is why I also say some of them may be of the same species.

I had quote for some of them possibly being the same species, but I appear to have lost track of it.

2 Likes

haha sweet! almost all fan-made too!

Well, there are lots of possible reasons for it, and this is not a definitive answer, just a thought, but … how many different types of bacteria do you have in your body?

3 Likes

A cursory internet search says there are hundreds or as many as a thousand species of bacteria in a human intestine. Of course, we have many more in other areas and on our skin. Many are important, and a lack of symbiotes/bacteria is a serious health concern. Too many of a certain kind causes an infection. Remember the Great Spirit Robot was originally based on a human body.
Since you bring it up, Greg, the human body collects bacteria/viruses/microscopic symbiotes from every environment and human it comes in contact with. My question, sir, is: Did Mata Nui collect Bionicles ‘foreign’ to his own body during his journey, or were all Bionicle species creations of the Great Beings(and their creations)?

1 Like

To my knowledge, none of the MU species came from outside the MU.

2 Likes

doesn’t that bring us back to square one though? they aren’t foreign to the MU yet they have no purpose in the MU. that means they have to be the creations of the Makuta, mutants and biological mistakes like the Zyglak, or they have no real biological analogy to them but they were created by Mata Nui regardless.

I am personally partial to the originally dismissed theory that they are MU counterparts to actual alien races Mata Nui witnessed in his travels. explains the lack of inherent function/purpose in the MU without claiming they are foreign beings.

the matoran are Mata Nui’s chosen people because they were the ones the great Beings originally made.

also, I remember each of the barraki’s species were created by Mata Nui to be perfect leaders, purposes that don’t fit with the biology analogy but are purposes none the less.

1 Like

We do know the vast majority of them were created by Mata Nui.

of course but to what purpos? the barraki were meant to be [erfect leaders while zyglak were mistakes and skakdi and vortixx nobody knows.

I always assumed that a lot of the species were created by Mata Nui in an effort to create more specialized versions of the Matoran: the Vortixx are Matoran with greater technical skill and less empathy, while the Skakdi have more physical strength. In short, they ere made not for a purpose, but for Mata Nui’s curiosity.

1 Like