Rooster Teeth's RWBY [Discussion]

Let’s hope we get a larger resolution then 144p soon.

Actually, this is false.

It removed the red, which I do appreciate…

2 Likes

Ah, there’s the good old Kahi I remember from the days of old, creeping out from the suit and tie of “Jon.”

As for RWBY, I tried it and, eh. Wasn’t too interested by it. I’m not an anime watcher to begin with.

5 Likes

That is a word I’m not sure you wanna be throwing around like that…

1 Like

Season one is rather dull IMO

No we don’t want to start a war of morons now do we?
Cronk might loose his mod status if he continues in this manner.

2 Likes

I’m just gonna stop ya there, lad.

1 Like

I’m just playin’.

We don’t need to devolve into savage animals, and viciously tear each other apart.

Anyway, I’m running low on popcorn…

3 Likes

Me too, I always preferred RvB. I has more of my sense of humor. Oh and the fight scenes, beautiful.

1 Like

I see we stand on similar grounds. While I would not call RWBY as a whole “amazing” or “fantastic” it is pretty decent for what it is…if you watch all of it. The first two volumes are pretty lackluster, however the third one is…well…pretty good!

(I was forced to watch the show by a few friends, I likely would not have otherwise…)

Hey, don’t know if anybody’s seen this

The new animation is outstanding in comparison to volume 3

1 Like

Yes new animation. I watched the first episode of RWBY and the animation looks terrible to me.

I can’t say much about the animation with such a short clip but at least the birds look like they’re attempting to flap their wings.

I already love what they’re doing for Volume 4 just from that clip alone. Despite V3’s animation remaining impressive even after Monty’s passing, V4’s just seems like a step further in so many ways: it’s smooth, it’s fluid, and most of all,

Really excited for the full trailer drop on Monday. I’ve been hoping to see it in HD and without “IT’S SUMMER” or “silver eyes, silver eyes” for a while now.

4 Likes

Only an hour and a half now until the trailer is released…

Or go on Entertainment Weekly’s website to watch it now.

1 Like

Well then

So good.

Pretry cool trailer, the animation has improved a lot can’t wait for the actual episode to come out. There were some small issues I had with it but over all it looks great.

2 Likes

Okay, so here’s the real deal.

I love Monty. I’m a huge fan of Monty. I took a photo with Monty at his last RTX and it’s one of my cherished memories and I was really glad I was able to do it. The guy’s done a lot to inspire me, he was a legend, there’s no one quite like him.

Monty’s whole style of animation and what he wanted from RWBY essentially self-destructed as the show got bigger.

Monty is not a traditional animator. He’s self taught, he uses his own choice program (Poser), he’s a working machine that utilizes power, speed and accuracy to animate at an insane rate. Every trick he has, every key he’s ripped out from his keyboard, it’s all finely tuned and honed into a single person’s workflow. He has made an animation style that makes it easy for one man to literally animate an entire series if he needs or has to.

Amazing guy, one of a kind, extremely talented.

His workflow was dragging RWBY down.

Poser is a great program for a single animator because you can re-use poses with different characters. It makes animation quicker, faster and easier. Monty could easily choreograph moves, store them in a library, then reuse them in fight after fight, tweaking them a little for the character he was animating. He wanted basically an in-game engine to work for RWBY - no render time, no wasting time waiting for something to be done. You playblast the animation right from the program, and that was it. The lighting wasn’t even there most of the time, it was textured onto the character’s faces to give the illusion of light. The animation itself was masterful at fight scenes and action, less so when it came to subtler things like talking, walking around, basically 70% of Volume I.

But there’s a ton of great stuff going into RWBY. The designs are stellar for cosplayers and artists, and the fandom loves it. The fights are, of course, still amazing. RoosterTeeth believes in the project and funnels in more people in it.

But Monty’s workflow was designed for just one animator. He trained Shane the same way. They got new workers and animators in, they got professionals looking over the workflow, and a lot of stuff that Monty adheres to for his own workflow just isn’t working with others. They’re better at all of the stuff he isn’t - subtler animations, emotions, lipsyncing - and with the added manpower now they can definitely make up for the efficiency of just one man working on the majority of the show.

There’s definite talks of what to do behind the scenes. Monty’s memorized everything about Poser, every keyboard shortcut and nuance of the program, but even he’s admitted that it’s not the best of programs and he’s used it primarily because it’s just so efficient for him. But hiring more animators for a workflow, and also wanting to develop the look of the show past playblasting needs something other than Poser to work. It’s really more of a hobbyist program, not suited towards a professional animation environment. RWBY’s easily the most impressive thing done in it.

When Monty unfortunately passes away, RoosterTeeth has no reason to keep holding the show back from evolving into what it’s supposed to be. Shane does not like this, but Shane, from what we see from Lettergate, he doesn’t seem to be team player and difficult to work with. He doesn’t want to work with the new programs and system that everyone is using, he doesn’t want to adjust to a “new way” when his is much quicker (for him, but not for the team), and he doesn’t want to upload his files to where they need to go for everyone on the workflow to access them. He is subsequently fired.

The RWBY team finishes up Volume III in Poser (we know this because they’re able to reuse a lot of the assets Monty worked on), but already they’re planning the move to Maya. With Fullscreen backing them, they expand the animation team, import what they can into a new workflow, and then work from there. RWBY Chibi is what they use for the animators to sink their teeth in - and you can tell that the animation is done by actual professionals this time. There’s more nuance given to poses and lip syncing and normal everyday things that other non-Monty animators are good with doing.

This character trailer is a definite step up because of this. The models are better, the lighting is dynamic, the camera angles and walking/running/everything animations are just so much better now. They fixed how noses look, which was a huge complaint of mine in Volume II. The whole show has a nice, painterly feel with more dynamic colors now that it’s rendered out. The only thing we need to worry about is the fights, but from what I’ve seen in this trailer, I think things are really coming into form here. I enjoyed what we saw in the character trailer, and the nuances of Ruby’s expressions on her face, how she moved, the way the Beowolves actually move like they’re real creatures instead of awkward bounding people on all fours.

RWBY has always improved with every volume, and this one seems to be no exception. I’m really glad that RT is able to honor’s Monty’s legacy by really pushing forward with the show. Looking forward to a couple weeks from now, when we can see the full result.

14 Likes

YouTube link:

1 Like

Akay…so…RWBY actually looks good?

Yay.

The animation just looks so, so much better, the faces…actually emote. the fightscenes are great, and the movement of everything is just…so much more smooth. The costumes look pretty good as well…

I am actually looking forward to this now.

yay.

6 Likes