Salvation: Part II

“I DARE A LOT OF THINGS! I"M NOT AFRAID OF YOU, YOU OLD FART! NOW PUT THAT GUN AWAY AND LET’S GO!”

Far would be patched up before too long.

“Sir,” Greasemonkey says in a low tone, a surprising edge to his voice, “you want to put that gun away and leave. Now.

“Or else what?”

Greasemonkey takes his cane off the ground, and it transforms into a long, slender rifle.

“Or I will shoot you, sir,” the cyborg says matter-of-factly. “In defense of the lady.”

“But she would sti be dead.”

“Uh… Um… That won’t be necessary!” Juliana stutters.

“And so would you,” Greasemonkey calmly says, bringing his rifle to bear. “A spark for a spark, to borrow from a human phrase.”

“Unless, of course, you put the gun away.”

“If she apologises. She started it.”

“Uh… Do I have any say in this? because I really don’t like the spark for a spark idea.”

Blight points his rifle nervously. “Yeah, put it away!”

Daria gets up and decides that it’s about time she pays Deus and Sprocket another little visit, and maybe get her gun back if possible. Although she considered the likelihood of that to be at an all-time low.

Greasemonkey does not reply, keeping his rifle trained on Redstocker. It was clear that the techno-organic was not in the mood to negotiate.

“Nor do I, miss,” Greasemonkey says to Juliana, “but I would like seeing you shot even less.”

As Deus was being tended to, Sprocket stands nearby, typing furiously on a datapad.

“So would I!”

Redstocker remaimed stoned, not moving one inch. It was clear that he wanted hee to apologise.

Daria walks over,
“Trouble?”

Juliana tried to wrench her hand free.

Blight tenses, his finger twitching, along with his single optic.

She would not be able. For an old man, Redstocker seemed quite strong.

She stopped struggling, seemingly resigning herself to her fate.

“I’m glad we’re in agreement, miss,” Greasemonkey says.

“Let her go, sir,” the old cyborg says to Redstocker.

His rifle begins to emit a quiet whining sound.

“I will not ask you again.”

Sprocket shakes his head, not looking up from his work.

“No,” he says. “This is awesome!”