Should the Toa and Matoran be the same height? [POLL]

Well that settles it, The Toa should not be speciffically taller than the rest due to being Toa. They should be the same as the Matoran. Nice we finally agree on something at least.

Woops, never mind, contradiction be in here. sigh.

there[quote=“prentice1215, post:82, topic:35702”]
the smaller “Hobbit” style minifigure legs that don’t have articulation
[/quote]

the bigger legs are better anyway[quote=“prentice1215, post:73, topic:35702”]
the Matoran were the more “grown up”
[/quote]

:broken_heart::gregf:

there

1 Like

No, because power levels still exist. The Toa are given their power from the elemental gods, and that increases their stature compared to the villagers. But just because the Matoran are smaller doesn’t mean they can’t help out, and/or even save the Toa in their early days.

As TTV has stated, with the exception of masks, Brickonicle is to be designed using preexisting official LEGO pieces. Those legs are customs.

How about no, that just contradicts the notion of height not mattering in the story, when in fact you have just said it should matter when it comes to powers, which is part of the story just the same.

Just because someone is taller, medium, or small size, does not mean they are more or less powerful than others based on their size. Remember guys, size does not matter, it what you do with what you have that makes you a hero (roll the 2006 music)…which means size should not be an indicator of power, it should be just a physical thing that has no to barely any connections to the power level of a person.

oooooooooooooooooooooookaay It was just an idea

First, a disclaimer, I have not finished the last podcast yet, so sorry if I leave anything important out.

I honestly don’t care about the “height-difference” per-say, but I am against the Matoran having the extra-short mini-legs, not because of articulation, but because it makes them appear too small and helpless.

This is actually something that always irritated me in G1. Matoran were basically hopeless 90% of the time without the Toa. When it came to physical attributes, they were like children the Toa had to constantly save. Giving them the mini-legs which Lego uses for actual children would just make this problem worse.

I understand that long-term the Toa are the heroes who will be saving the day, but the Toa aren’t around all the time (of even most of the time) so the Matoran must have some respectable ability to take care of themselves without them.

As far as I can tell, this is why TTV is giving them minor elemental powers and loosening up on the mask-power restrictions.

I would like to point out that the only reason Dwarves and Hobbits are taken seriously in the Lord of the Rings, is because the story is told from the Hobbit’s perspective, and therefore all of these characters are “eye-level” with the audience. In LOTR, Hobbits are the actual human analog; “men” are treated as another fantasy race.

In this story, we are trying to make the Matoran the “human” analogs. The story is told from the Toa’s perspective, but the Toa are clearly meant to be exceptional characters, in the same way in which Bilbo and Frodo’s aging cycles were exceptional among hobbits, and you cannot illustrate that something is exceptional until you have established the base-line, which in Lego will always be defined by the classic Mini-Fig.

I agree that is a necessary plot element. The problem is that Mini-Legs are usually used as short-hand by Lego for children, so we won’t be making that visually clear.

(And just for the record)

(Yes, the Greek gods were portrayed as extremely relatable. He got angry when people slighted him, he became sad/stressed when his children bickered, he worried about pleasing his wife, etc.)

1 Like

I just feel that making the Toa and Matoran the same size takes apart the unique charm that the Matoran have for me. I’m not willing to spend a month bickering about it or just run in the same circle this discussion has been going in since its conception. I’m a fan of shorter Matoran, and nothing can change that.

Yes it sounds like I’m being arrogant and stubborn, but I guess some of you have been rubbing off on me.

So this is where I say ‘Austalapasta’ and peace out.

1 Like

Well people should have considered that before they made the Matoran and the Toa of the same race…unless people want to make the Toa not the same race, in which case we have not progressed at all and are back to square one of the same old same old nostalgic crutches and not making this Generation actually a different Generation from the rest.

I would usually agree, however there are the connotations of existing normal and short Mini-Figs which are the problem for me, not the height itself.

TBH I kinda agree the arguement has going nowhere fast :fearful:

shrug
Don’t worry, this has only been up for a couple days; it’s only natural that we wouldn’t have any kind of consensus yet.

Anyway, I do think this discussion is raising some interesting points.

@Everyone!
Just a thought I had. Does anyone were play Warhammer 40K?

My bro owns some space marines and Tau

Ok. Have you ever had the chance to compare the Space Marines to some Imperial Guardsmen?

Well thats what happens when people have different opinions and are unwilling to change them.

(Plus this poll is incredibly limiting when it comes to the voting options, there should be at least 5-10 more vote options for all the nuances/options that someone can suggest)

I have heard of it and watched some of the gameplay of the video games, but does that have anything to do with this thread?

So what are you trying to say here since I can extrapulate a lot of things when comparing the two that you mentioned?

No, he does not own them but they also have nothing to do with the subject

Oh well.

In 40k, Space Marines are super-soldiers who are about seven or eight feet tall (at the shortest), while imperial Guardsman are just normal humans.

I find this comparable to the scale of Toa and Matoran in G1.

1 Like

XD That would be a valid reason from an amusing perspective.

I can see your statement and agree that it is a valid one…but I would also say that Warhammer 40k has a problem with scale in general when it comes to a lot of things in its setting (its “scale problems, the setting” if you ask me), Im not sure if I want that back in Bionicle (oh god that Giant Mata Nui robot in scale with the planet was riddiculous).

Plus now searching the sizes, the Space Marines are sometimes visually portrayed as not as much high as a Basketball player, which is still part of the spectrum of human able sizes.

There would be no indication that the Matoran could ever achieve the height of a Toa naturally if we use the concept of Toa Tall, Matoran small…sure you can have taller Toa, but if we went by this example they would be no larger than the highest people around, still very far from the notion people were suggesting here where the Matoran can never be as tall as the Toa.

(granted the image given here is the direct example of Warhammer having problems with scale, cause I also see various other examples when it comes to scale in otehr images on the net about the subject, aka not very defined and exact).

2 Likes

If the Toa are just normal Villagers granted powers from the Elemental Gods I understand why it feels right to have the Toa be taller, but also it makes sense for them to be the same height.
A idea I had was that the Villagers and Toa be different shades of their colour, i.e the Villagers are Metru Red and Tahu is Mata Red.

2 Likes

What if the toa were the short ones in g3?

Someone needs to make a visual representation of this idea so as to see first had if it would work design wise.

1 Like