Should the Toa of Lightning's name be Voriki? [Characters]

I’m going to use your logic on lightning. A quick google search of “Stone” reveals an imag that is 90% Grey.

But do people associate grey with rocks? Well, Yinki does, at least.

Orange=Stone – bit of a stretch, but has a basis in reality
Purple=Lightning – bit of a stretch, but has a basis in reality

Ultimately, though, I think we can agree on this:

~W12~

5 Likes

Indeed. By my own logic, the Toa of Stone should be gray. The difference is that Lego would never release a gray main character, at least not under this context. Ninjago, G1, Nexo Knights, and many more themes rely on having bright colors to draw kids in. Gray is pretty much the opposite of that. Gray says “Hey kids, I’m inferior in every way to my fellow heroes!” Pohatu has to be dark orange because there are no better options, not without changing the element.

The same argument can clearly not be made for yellow. Yellow is bright, cheery, full of energy, and it captures your attention extremely quickly.

As we’ve already established, “real lightning” has no color. It’s only atmospheric conditions that produce the colors we associate with lightning. As such, you could easily change this to:

The difference is that yellow, as I’ve already stated, is very commonly associated with lightning. Unlike stone, where the popular color is unusable, yellow is an extremely viable and arguably superior option.

So you’ve got two options. Do you go with yellow, the most associated with lightning, to provide clarity for people? Or do you go with purple, the clear underdog, for reasons unspecified?

1 Like

I know this is out of the blue, but if Voriki was yellow, how many kids, do you think, would believe her to be naked?

Lego’s skin color is yellow after all…

1 Like

where the yellow lighting at?
it’s blue/purple, I would preffer purple tho

as for the name, I like Voriki, dont know what other name would really fit

1 Like

Slime’s argument, I believe, is that Yellow lightning bolts are usually seen in popular culture to represent a character who can control electricity and the like: Pikachu, Flash, Electro (to an extent as the latest version is green with blue), etc.

What I don’t get is that Natural lightning, even though it has no color, is portrayed to humans as purple when there’s a storm. And since this is Bionicle, the elements and natural, so lightning should be represented with purple, or at least a majority of it.

Considering the amount of printing that would go on this figure, and that the “skin tone” of the Toa is dark gray, I wouldn’t consider that an issue.

3 Likes

In this thread- Purple versus Yellow!

But why not both?

Serious post time,

I think this debate is pretty silly, personally.

You can try to science away puple being associated with Lightning all you want with your “but lightning has no color!” stuff, but that won’t change how lightning appears visually to the human eye nor the millions of search results that display a very clear color palette lightning creates.

The elements of G3 are tied directly to their region, as such the Toa are designed in a way to match their environment, not the single instance of said element (IE. a single lightning bolt).

We didn’t design Lewa to look like a leaf, nor did we design her to resemble air (which has no appearance). We designed her to fit within the environment where her element will thrive. Gali has orange in her color scheme, but water isn’t orange. However, there are plenty of orange fish, coral, and sponges to pull that color from, all of which will thrive in her region just as much as she will.

The Village of the Storm is a literal storm of dark purples and blues. We are NOT basing Voriki’s design off the appearance off a single lightning bolt.

This. This is Voriki.

She is volatile, fast, destructive, unpredictable.

She’s scary.

An explosion of raw elemental power

She isn’t just a bolt of lightning.

There are a variety of colors to pull from in this image, but predominately the color is purple. And that’s the color we are going to be basing our design off of most.

Now on the topic of limitations, which is actually a good argument. I understand that people really want us to stick to the rulebook here when it comes to using the name. But do keep in mind, the rules are, in reality, fairly arbitrary.

This G3 isn’t actually happening.

We created these restrictions for ourselves as a challenge to think creatively and use the assets we have previously been given to form something new and inspired while keeping the core elements of what made Bionicle special to us. LEGO’s restrictions are simply a guidebook to follow, nothing more. We can ignore it as much as we want when developing this hypothetical reboot, however we as creators feel that the more production based liberties we take the more we stray from our goal of creating something plausible. In this instance, we know that LEGO will want to re-use as many names as they can because they already own them, we also know they’re going to want to adapt elements of their previous successes because this still needs to be recognizable as the brand they’re marketing it as.

However, we also know that at some point they will make new characters, and these characters will have new names.

We, with our limited knowledge of the actual restrictions LEGO is faced with behind the scenes, are unsure of how many new names they’d realistically use or how much of a challenge for them it would be to legally create them. So, logically we don’t want to go over-board with new characters and names (plus it would make our discussions, and in turn our podcast, infinitely less interesting to watch).

So with all that said, I think we can safely get away with using one new name lol.

18 Likes

Me gusta Voriki,

Voriki es amor, Voriki es vida

She is my kind of women

As for the name, how about Uira?

I like it. I like it a lot.

3 Likes

No kidding. It has a certain ‘spark’ to it, no?

Eh? EH?

2 Likes

http://i.imgur.com/3Kf5e.png

Also also, in regards to the name Voriki itself. I feel like the points have already been made pretty well, but even so.

Voriki really has no identity outside of the photoshopped image, I feel like the character is preeeeeeetty malleable. I mean, it’s hard to make changes to a character that never really existed to begin with.

8 Likes

Ah, come on. Have you even seen Reviving Bionicle?

In all seriousness, that’s a good point. There really is no precedent for how to write/make her/him. But we’re just opening up a whole new can of worms by bringing this up.

I seem to recall this is a visioning of Lego’s G3.

Last time I checked Lego never canonized memes.

Fan-made Storyline Additions

4 Likes

That said, it was just for one theme, and more than 7 years ago. And Voriki is something actually fake, unlike what Greg canonized.

If the Message Boards were still up, he could probably make him canon for us.

1 Like

In doing so that would disrupt the entirety of the first three years of Bionicle lore. I don’t think he’d do that.

That one theme being Bionicle. I think you might of heard of it before, it’s what this project is all about. :stuck_out_tongue:

So much of Bionicle was fanon turned canon. Granted, it was a lot of stuff around the periphery of the story, but it was still very much there. Voriki originally being a fake leak doesn’t automatically disqualify the name.

I think since Voriki doesn’t have any lore to begin with she would make a great character to be the 7th Toa and the Toa of Lightning. Lightning means Uira in Maori (according to google translate) so maybe Toa Uira could be a potential name for the Toa of Lightning.

Agreed, lightning should be purple, electricity is more commonly yellow instead.

Still there is the fact that Lego rarely acknowledges fan created material unless it is through their means, such as Greg using BZPower or the Cool Creations in the Lego Club Magazine. And, considering the controversy around Voriki, that he was a fake leak that was supposedly actual Lego material, Lego may not want to address it.