Sparing Mata Nui

Why did Makuta spare Mata Nui’s spirit after taking over the GSR? Destroying his “brother’s” essence would have had no ill effects (otherwise he wouldn’t have tried to kill him in Journey’s End), so what was his motivation?

That was Ekimu btw. G2 is separate from G1 anyway.

You’re thinking of Journey to One

I want to say it’s probably because Makuta didn’t have complete control of the GSR yet.

3 Likes

Ahh my bad. Mistakes happen. I make alot of them.

2 Likes

This, and probably something to do with the Ignika, as it was designed to, you know, start killing everyone in the MU just to revive Mata Nui in the event that he died.
Granted, he could have simply done the deed after jettisoning it out into space, but hey, two birds with one stone.

1 Like

Iirc, the mask’s function of wiping out the MU is negated if it’s outside the Matoran Universe.

It’s basically the same as asking, “Why didn’t that villain who captured Batman just shoot him instead of constructing an elaborate death trap he will eventually escape from?” Because villains like to see heroes suffer. If Mata Nui still lives, but can’t do anything to stop Makuta, then he suffers, and that is what Makuta wanted.

5 Likes

What I meant by this was that Teridax likely would’ve put both himself and the entire population of the MU (which he needed) in danger if he killed Mata Nui while he and the Ignika continued to reside within the GSR, as the latter would’ve reinitated its countdown sequence and started indiscriminately killing people off in an attempt to revive him again.
Apologies for the previous lack of clarification.

2 Likes

That’s a good explanation. That’s why he would have sent Mata Nui away inside the inika, presumably killing two birds with one stone, although Mata Nui did come back and defeat him.

Thing is, sparing Mata Nui wasn’t as dumb as you might think: After all, even with the prototype robot he was still easily overpowered by Makuta: Had that moon fragment landed anywhere else, or a moment earlier or later, Mata Nui would have been dead.

4 Likes

Another thing to consider is Teridax, in his everything he was doing, probably did not consider the possibility of the mask of life surviving the trip into orbit. Thus it would be logical for him to shoot Mata Nui off into space - if he floated endlessly in the vacuum of space, he would just continue to exist and suffer. If the mask burned up in Bara Magna’s atmosphere, he’s left to wander around for eternity or find someone who isn’t afraid of ghosts to trust him, believe him, find him a body, then have him convince the people to move out of the ruined GSR on the planet and take control, all before Makuta came, assuming he could even speak to someone in that form at all, and assuming he didn’t incinerate somehow as well.

All in all, a smart move which he probably had planned for a long while beforehand.[quote=“Timageness, post:9, topic:37823”]
What I meant by this was that Teridax likely would’ve put both himself and the entire population of the MU (which he needed) in danger if he killed Mata Nui while he and the Ignika continued to reside within the GSR, as the latter would’ve reinitated its countdown sequence and started indiscriminately killing people off in an attempt to revive him again.
[/quote]

This too. Which is why it all makes sense for Mata Nui to go on vacation instead of six feet under.

2 Likes