Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker Topic

Now that, we can agree on.

2 Likes

Rose better become an epic space pirate

No sign of the purple dressed woman I have nicknamed “Zam Wesell,” much to the annoyance of my friends.

BB-8’s friend D-O has lots of potential.

1 Like

I didn’t have any problem with Rose, so I wouldn’t mind having her back.

1 Like

I must say it has got me a little excited but I have more questions than I thought I would. Hopefully it comes to a good conclusion.

This is the thing we want the most from this movie…

Indeed but my faith was shaken with TLJ, it really messed with a lot of things TFA had going for it.

1 Like

Even if it ends up being even more hated than TLJ, if at least it comes to a satisfying conclusion, it would be enough for me.

1 Like

I’M NOT GOING TO MAKE ANY SPECULATION ANYMORE! Sorry guys but after all the subverted expectations, I’d rather not waste time theorising

Now back to Palpatine…

2 Likes

*The Senate.

2 Likes

Ok, so assuming that Snoke is dead and he remains dead, and Palpatine returns, that that means Snoke was the most wasted character ever

2 Likes

Glad to see that comment sections the internet over are already filled with the battles between people prematurely declaring that this will be the worst movie of all time and other people calling those people horrible things.
Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
I gotta say, I miss when the Force Awakens was coming out, that sweet period where the fans didnt seem as crazily divided.

4 Likes

Well it is somewhat entertaining I’ll admit

Stoked for the movie, boys
Not because I’m actually going to watch it no, I want new piece molds

1 Like

That depends on how they explain Snoke. If JJ leaves his fate as-is (which I doubt) and we never learn anything more about him, then absolutely his character will be useless, and even I will concede that. However, revealing something about his backstory could make him slightly less ineffectual as a character. For instance, here’s some options I’ve been pondering to explain Snoke’s role in light of Palpatine’s return:

1. Snoke is a pawn of Palpatine’s, a tool he used to engineer Ben Solo’s fall to the Dark Side. However, he was always nothing more than a pawn–while Snoke believed he was in control of Kylo, in reality it was Palpatine, who was using his powers to influence Kylo under the guise of Vader’s spirit (as Kylo believes he has communed with Vader before, despite Anakin’s redemption). Once Kylo was successfully corrupted and Snoke was growing too powerful, Palpatine influenced Kylo to kill him.

2. Snoke is a clone of Palpatine, one of many the Emperor commissioned (as he did in the EU) to harbor his spirit in case he died. However, Snoke was a failed experiment, and his mutations warped him into a larger, more disfigured version of Palpatine, and also granted him his own personality. He then competed with Palpatine for control of Kylo Ren, trying to succeed where Palpatine had failed and resurrect the Empire. However, he overplayed his hand with Kylo’s connection to Rey, resulting in his demise.

3. Snoke is Darth Plagueis, Palpatine’s former Master, who survived his apprentice’s assassination attempt with horrific injuries (Palpatine would either be unaware of this, or have knowingly lied to Anakin during the events of RoTS). After fleeing Palpatine, Plagueis retreated to the Unknown Regions to nurse his wounds, until eventually coming into contact with the remnants of the Empire after Palpatine’s defeat. He then attempted to take power for himself, as he intended, but failed, as we see in TLJ.

4. Snoke is an independent entity whose growing power Palpatine became aware of during his reign. A number of Star Wars media from before TLJ indicated that Palpatine was interested in a strange threat he perceived from the Unknown Regions, whom many fans speculated was Snoke. After Palpatine’s defeat, Snoke attempted to restore the Empire under his own authority, but has now failed.

These are only a few of the possible solutions to Snoke, but they’re the ones that I think make the most sense. If one of them is incorporated into TRoS, I think it would provide some satisfying closure to Snoke’s story.

2 Likes

Meme reference?

As for the trailer, I’m intrigued. The trilogy as a whole I doubt can be revived, but I think this could be a quality movie

1 Like

The interesting thing about the Emperor returning is not that it undermines Snoke, but rather, Vader.

The Chosen One was supposed to bring balance to the Force by bringing an end to the Sith. Since Snoke was not a Sith, and Anakin is dead, that leaves only three options.

1. They don’t stick to the previous canon. If people get less upset over this than any canon changed by TLJ, I’d kind of find that disappointing.

2. The Emperor for some reason isn’t the Sith. This could be possible, either he isn’t truly back or has changed his way of doing things, but we’ll see.

3. Anakin isn’t truly gone. This, I think, would be the coolest and make the most sense. His work is unfinished, and even as a ghost, his duty to the Force must continue.

2 Likes

I heard a theory that Rey is a reincarnation of anakin

Which is far from truth honestly. Kinda dumb of a theory actually, if you ask me.

How so?

Because then awful people are shipping her with her grandson

1 Like

Not to insinuate that it’s a great theory (none of the theories are really great), but I don’t think it’s all that bad. The premise is one I could get behind, provided that she is only ANOTHER incarnation of the Force, not specifically Anakin’s reincarnated spirit.

Personally, I think the only possibilities that make sense at this point are that she is a Force incarnation, or that she is really just a random girl, as TLJ said. The theories about her being a Kenobi or (ugh) a Palpatine are reeeaaallly stretching things. However, to say that she is Luke’s daughter, or Han and Leia’s, is possibly even more egregious, as that implies that either Luke, Han, or Leia are incredibly awful parents, who willingly abandoned Rey on an inhospitable desert planet under the care of the smarmy lowlife Unkar Plutt. You’d think the characters we know and love would have at least tried to leave her on a more forgiving planet, or at least with a much more caring guardian.

Honestly, all this is why I think that–despite some of his poorer choices–Rian Johnson went with the best answer for Rey’s parentage. The fans complained very vocally about how Luke was old, grumpy, and depressed in TLJ–I can’t comprehend why they would want him to have abandoned his own daughter in such awful circumstances. Doesn’t that make him less of a hero just as much as TLJ supposedly did?

2 Likes