Tabletop RPG campaign: "The Powers of Old" (closed for players)

That’s fine ill post it as a map for use by anyone who wishes to do lost chronicles from now on, I tried to make it as blank as possible, but i had no real idea what you were going for.
Also, the “Carving” skill (as well as the other “trained” skills" on my character sheet doesn’t seem to be working right, (it is the same problem with all “trained” skills, they dont behave like untrained basic skills when you train them)

1 Like

I know there is some issue with the rightmost column of the Skills menu - I accidentally forgot to add in the modifier column and some stuff. The Trained skills worked for me when I tested them, though.

I tested your sheet right now, and you’re right - it didn’t update. I then checked the formatting rule, and it was in place. After checking the rule, the fields appear to work. Some glitch in the system, perhaps?

for some reason trained skills still only return half values, the only fix i can find is going straight from 0 to 2 when leveling up for the first time,

Now that is a map.

1 Like

@MinusOneEighth
Oh, yes. I seem to have read the rules wrong. I thought that the first point spent on a Trained skill was merely to unlock its use, but apparently that’s wrong. Apologies.

That means the Skills part of the sheets are pretty messed up, however, so it might be best to just overwrite the skill level formula entirely. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Fair enough, there was quite a lot of room for error, given that there were 50 or something pages, we should be fine.

Alright, I’ve pretty much finished my sheet. I think all I need to do is stop being lazy and just type in all of the effects for my elemental powers. If you wouldn’t mind checking it out to see if I missed anything.

Oh yeah, I forgot you had to do that…

1 Like

I need some help figuring out elemental powers, since the list is silent for Toa of magnetism.

OK, let’s see what we have.

In canon, we’ve seen magnetic powers used to crush armor (Botar died like this), to push/pull, and to stick one metal object to another. Gahlok-Kal attached a bunch of Rahi to Pohatu to keep him in check, for example.

There are already rules for Gravity powers, and those are somewhat similar. Most powers have a basic variety which deals the same amount of damage as the basic powers of other elements, so we may as well fix Magnetism up with the equivalent.

Below I’ve tried to add some pushing and pulling that is sort of a mix between Air and Gravity. The element ignores a bit of armor, but several powers have less damage overall compared to other elements, focusing on moving stuff around instead. This makes it quite reliable, but not overpowered.

I wanted to stick a ranged Disarm option in one of these powers, but I dunno how to fit it in. Feel free to suggest changes or new powers altogether.

Magnetism

Magnetic forces are exceptionally useful in a world where every being carry metal in their bodies. All magnetic attacks ignore 50% of a metallic target’s Armor value. It is not as potent on non-metal materials, however, and therefore loses efficiency and requires more energy to generate magnetic fields within such objects.
The Trigger effect for Magnetism causes the target to become surrounded by a magnetic field for 1d5 rounds, no matter what material it is made of. Magnetized targets carry either positive or negative charge. At the end of a magnetized target’s turn, it will be forced to move 1 square either towards or away from the closest magnetized target. It will move towards it if their charges match, and away if the charges do not match, provided it is possible to do so.

Magnetic Crush

EP Cost: 10
Trigger Range: 18-20
Damage: 1d10 + 1/2 LVL
Range: 150 bio
AP Cost: 2
Test required: Ranged
Modifers: None
Charge: Negative

A strong magnetic field is created around a target, dealing crushing damage. The target must successfully pass a Strength Test or fall prone. Non-metallic targets are immune to this effect.

Magnetic Wave

EP Cost: 10/20
Trigger Range: 18-20
Damage: 1d5 + 1/2 LVL
Range: 150 bio
Modifiers: None
Charge: Positive for push, negative for pull

With a burst of energy, you either push or pull a target a number of bio equal to the damage they take + 1/2 LVL. If the target is moved further away from your location than the distance rolled, it falls to rest there. If a solid object blocks movement in the given direction, the target takes an additional 1 damage for every bio it moved.
Non-metallic targets can be also moved by this power, although they require additional energy to magnetize. You may opt to spend 10 extra EP to move a non-metallic target normally, or else you may only move the non-metallic target a total of half the total distance.

Magnet Grip

EP Cost: 1 to activate, then 1 for every bio moved
Trigger Range: 20-20
Damage: None
Range: 100 bio
Charge: Negative

Focusing your energy, you move a target up to 1/2 LVL bio per round. You may keep this power active for as long as you choose, or until you run out of EP. When the power is shut off, the held object drops.

Supermagnet

EP Cost: 20
Trigger range: 18-20
Damage: 1d10 + LVL
Range: 100 bio
Charge: Positive

The strongest pushing force you can muster. Target must pass a successful Strength test or else be pushed backwards 1d5 + 1/2 LVL bio from where it is currently standing.

Magnetic Pole

EP Cost: 5
Trigger Range: 10-20
Damage: 1d5 + 1/2 LVL
Range: Self
Test required: None
Modifiers: Blast(30)
Charge: See text

A powerful magnetic field forms around you, rapidly extending into every target in range. Affected targets must make a successful Strength test or else be pushed away a distance equal to the damage they take.
On a successful Trigger, the target is magnetically charged based on the last digit of the damage they took: Positive for odd numbers, and negative for even numbers or 0.

1 Like

Since my character has a metal hammer, I was imagining him spinning it around in the air with magnetic fields and using it to generate electricity :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not gonna lie: If you want lightning bolts I suggest a Toa of Lightning instead. x)

1 Like

Not lightning, electricity. It’s science. I know this from School House Rock :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that, in order to generate electricity with a spinning object, you need to rotate it within a pre-set magnetic field. You can’t just whirl a hammer around using magnetism and get electricity out; something else needs to drive the hammer, which in turn would provide the energy that this setup eventually converts into electric current and hence lightning.

2 Likes

Welp, sounds like I need to rewatch Schoolhouse Rock :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, as fun as creative use of powers are, I think crossing over into another elemental type for damage should probably be a no-no, especially considering what you could do with magnetism in a world where everyone is made of metal. ^^

There is a Rahkshi power that slams two objects (or beings) together and deal damage based on how far they traveled. Feel free to add that to the list of potential Magnetism powers.

Also, please tell me what you think of the ones I listed. The goal here is to tweak them if needed into something usable. :slight_smile:

I would recommend flying around with that like Thor.

Most metals aren’t actually magnetic, though it is confirmed that protosteel and “metallic protodermis” are indeed magnetic, but I don’t believe the armor of actual matoran and (most) other non-makuta characters is magnetic, same goes with rahi and plants.
It can only be assumed that Toa of magnetism have ferromagnetic powers, which only affect iron, nickel, cobalt (and all alloys containing them), though some samarium and neodymium compounds are much stronger more susceptible to it. This is magnetism in the traditional sense anyway.
If you have seen any X-men films then Magneto is actually an almost perfect representation of what a Toa of magnetism could do, your main ability would be to fling stuff around.
Magnetic pulses could also easily knock out electrical systems, or any electrical machinery.
Magnetism is really quite weird basically.

1 Like

But, most armor is made of metallic Protodermis, so…

But all things aside, I think that just for the sake of giving the character useful powers, we could assume that unless otherwise specified, armor is magnetic.

Most armor in BIONICLE is affected by Magnetism. We haven’t seen much of it, but Pohatu, various Rahi, and Botar have all been affected. It’s clear that the writer(s) didn’t care too much about the specifics - the metal is magnetic for the purposes of using Magnetism powers.

@Leoxandar:
I’m hoping to finish up character sheets soon, so it would be nice if you looked over the list of Feats and decided which ones you want. We can discuss it via PM if you’d like. :slight_smile: I have filled in the basics of your mask power, but as with all powers the specific rules for each will have to be checked when used.

@Scorpion_Strike:
I filled in a list of Shadow powers, as well as your mask. Is your weapon one- or two-handed? I’ll fill in that as well if you tell me. The Feat selection goes for you as well, we can take it via PM too.

You have negatives in the “points available field”; if you move those 10 bonus points to the Modifier column, the red field will go back to showing the right value.

I love your character art, by the way! :smiley:

@EvilLobsterKing
We haven’t done anything with your Skakdi character yet, so it would be nice to do it soon.

2 Likes

Did I neglect to stick in the feats I chose? I will go rectify that.

Edit: Where do I put them? XP