The "Art of Bionicle" scans are uploaded on BZpower

i just realised something, we are missing some of the other consept art for the skull villains, we only have the Demon warrior, but not the rest of the old skull designs:

8 Likes

Interesting. What do you think held them back?

1 Like

You know things like budget and not selling enough to get a second year.

2 Likes

Looking through all of these images, some of the ideas looked amazing. Also, you can tell that Lego was thinking about Bionicle G2 almost right after G1 ended since they had that concept art that used the HF 2.0 heads

2 Likes

Mmhh… right. Since they were planning everything several years ahead they weren’t able to use super expensive and interesting for 2015 because they didn’t now yet if it was worth it. And it turned out it wasn’t which lead to the, in comparison to the concepts, underwelming sets of 2016.

1 Like

I really liked the Tahu concepts and the landscape art. It’s really cool and show the team was really passionate, but limited. I am so glad this generation happened.
I also liked the idea of the Toa being Monster Hunter-esque and multiple creatures.
But yeah, it’s a shame they were so limited. Had they the resources, this would’ve been the best years of Bionicle ever.

5 Likes

Ok I’ve got new moc ideas for the ability/armour/weapon concepts of beasts now

1 Like

Hmmm this reminds me of something.

14 Likes

I’m salty that they didn’t make that a set

2 Likes

For me, scrolling through this art book has quickly become a sad reminder of how much I wanted to explore the world of Okoto.

So many good concepts at work here- I particularly enjoyed how they were planning the villain progression(Necromancer -> Wendigo -> Cthulu -> Evil Overlord sorta deal).

It hadn’t really struck me how properly the stakes were escalating, nor how well in tune with the tribal atmosphere our baddies were before now. I suppose that’s the fault of poor media presentation.

And that’s just one panel; the countless landscape shots and blurbs about the masks and character designs… They present the kind of mystical world I wanted(and still want!) to see.

It’s been a couple months since I’ve been actively angry about G2’s cancellation/handling, but being given a full view of concepts that I had already found exciting in principle just kind of hits me hard. This is why I was hopeful about G2; there were so many cool ideas in the works. Seeing them at face value just reminds me that they were squandered.

Regardless, I’m glad we got the chance to see this. I appreciate the insight.

13 Likes

I would’ve bought the Necromancer and the Wendigo/Shaman as fast as humanly possible.

5 Likes

I’m internally sobbing right now :disappointed:

At least I have Lewa fan dancing to cheer me up…

15 Likes

Someone should pester Lego about releasing the rest of the art on the Facebook page.

5 Likes

Man, making Skull Grinder a cobra would have made him at least 50% cooler. Oh well. I also quite like those fusion weapon creature concepts.

3 Likes

All of these great villain concepts and we got Skeletons and Beasts

Why?

7 Likes

I love this art so much

makes me sad considering it seems the team really did build a world and for some reason were never able to bring it all to fruition

6 Likes

I wonder if we could have some of the masks in the artbook on shapeways because that would be pretty cool.

1 Like

Cyber-Hand said he might make a few of the masks.

1 Like

What mask is this?

5 Likes

Early version of the MoUP I guess? Or maybe the Vahi, I dont know, everything had a lot of spikes in g2…

2 Likes