The CCBS Topic

I would like to see some returning armour pieces or ones that pay homage to the old pieces similar to the “vorox armor” in 2016

1 Like

I dunno what to think of constraction as a whole.

One one hand Hero Factory introduced a lot of new pieces, techniques and entire new building system. Innovating the line completely. But it never truly got to a point where all the sets felt complete. Yes there was innovation, but the polish of the final product was not there.

Jump to G2 Bionicle and we see the new system being used almost to its full potential. Mixing technic with regular ball and socket pieces. But not a lot or any new innovating moulds or pieces were introduced to really shape up the whole constraction line as a whole. Sure you have the waist function but thats about it. For G2 Bionicle to leave its mark it needs to bring forth something that other CCBS lines havent while still retaining the innovating builds but not leaving out the polished look of the sets. I proposed a true Unity of both CCBS and Technic, making armour chells compatible with both CCBS armour add ons and Technic pin/axel connections. Reintroduction of the connector with an axel connection at the end and make one other version like that but just for pins. This should not remove the already established CCBS, rather it will give more options to whats already there. It is somewhat LEGOs Duty to keep its innovating agenda while still retaining the quality build standard the started to enforce after the almost catastrophic 2003 collaps of brick sales in which Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Bionicle (LEGOs only unique IP of this buch) managed to help save the company. The Destiny of the Bionicle theme and Constraction as a whole rests in combining old with the new and forming something truly creative and worthy of the imagination, creativity, and interchangeability, and quality that defines what LEGO is.

(LEGO senpai notice me and hire me already!)

11 Likes

We definitely need new pieces, feet would be a very good place to start

@Jelarna fine it is based of pterosaurs. Pteranadon was just a genus of pterosaurs, not the whole group of reptiles

@TeslaEffect the leg design looks ok but I think @Asriel did a much better bird like design.

I do like your idea of the beasts being constructed of pure elemental energy

2 Likes

I don’t think making Shells inherently pin or axle compatible is really necessary because of the standard axle-ball or this piece. If anything I think Lego could create an addon that could supply Technic connection, but we already have a lot of other bar-to-Technic pieces that can be used instead.

Yes, we have currently a lot of pieces that are sufficient for any number of builds. But we still havent reach to what the whole system can do and that is the unity of ccbs and technic and add in bricks to it as well. They are still some compromises and messy connections that can be fixed if a perfect mold was made.

For example: The smallest of pieces, the friction add-on helped so much in retaining stability of larger sets where as before you needed to constantly add on more connections just to make the leg area more stable to even hold on the entire upper body. Now sets like Grievous and Destroyer dont need what Fire Lord once needed, they can do it all with just friction add-ons.

What I love about moccers in general is that they dont shy from using LEGO pieces from all themes for their builds and use them in very creative “outside of the box” type of ways.

First LEGO should hire some moccers to work for them in building sets (which I believe they did to some extend since these new sets from G2 feel like they are done by fans who know the line and know designing sets and making unique builds), they are the innovators that will point out new potential moulds that can be created…and of course they should hire me for team management who will retain the positive outlook of things (I can get REALLY passionate about things I truly want to do and do my best to accomplish the task upfront of me), lord knows I need to use my AIESEC experience somewhere right.

2 Likes

I don’t like that idea, it would remove what makes Bionicle unique to other themes. Also I don’t think it would mesh well with CCBS and Technic

3 Likes

MOCers are indeed very fascinating with their use of pieces due to their sheer creativity or lack of designer limitations. Lego doesn’t necessarily need to hire them, but they could look at their creations or building techniques they share. I imagine they already do that to some extent.

However I’m a tad confused as to where this coversation went to. First we were talking on integrating Technic connections into CCBS parts, now it’s outsourcing to MOCers to create “the perfect mold” to provide compatibility with everything. An ideal goal, but we have connection methods and pieces for crossing other Lego platforms already. Every piece of every theme is a part of the Lego System as a whole. They are already compatible.

I just need a little clarification on what you mean. Why do you want the systems to be “more compatible”? Aesthetic, Technical, Building reasons? Why do you think the solution requires a perfect mold?

2 Likes

Other themes use CCBS. Not massively, mainly Ninjago, but other themes have too. CCBS isn’t unique to constraction, it was made to be used with system, so there’s no reason why they cant include some sloped pieces or other parts like with the star wars line. the use of system wouldn’t make Bionicle any less unique, it’d actualy make it more unique, considering most constraction lines (Chima Chi figures, HF) rarely used system, so a theme using system, technic and ccbs would make it more unique as a line, while still being set apart from system because it’s mainly based around ccbs. Besides it’s not as though they’re not starting to do that, Gali uses a minimal amount of system.

3 Likes

I just don’t like the idea of adding bricks, I personally don’t think it would mesh well with the detailed and robotic feel Bionicle has

1 Like

This is CCBS, it isn’t detailed, and even with the detailed add ons you still get the smooth and simple ccbs shells. It would not look out of place on Bionicle because Bionicle already has that smooth and simple style system has. I realy dont understand your argument. We’re talking about sets that use these

Not these parts:

Most likely they wont get rid of shells, so the sets will still have that level of simplicity. Not to mention system has more the just bricks. There are plenty of slopes, dishes, other curved pieces, I’m not suggesting they slap a brick onto Tahu’s back.

4 Likes

I just think that Bionicle is starting to lean more towards detail.

Also, the CCBS shells are smooth whilst bricks are blocky, unless somewhere there is an MOC that does blend them well together, I think the shapes would contrast too much. Especially next to a detailed add on

1 Like

If you need complex looking base elements to make your finished product be complex, you are doing it wrong.

Artistry and ingenuity is found in the most simplest things which when united with other simple elements make something truly complex.

Unity of Technic and CCBS is the key to a much more LEGO type of experience with constraction lines. And yes, Technic, not what was later defined as the sub-genre of Technic we all know as G1 Bionicle.

Yes there are budget limitations, but there are no limitations for possible builds within that budget, only the human lack of creativity can hinder a set from being truly complex and polished.

3 Likes

I think when combined properly the CCBS, Technic, and Brick systems can turn out fantastic. Technic and CCBS bones provide the structure and shaping. Shells, Technic panels, and bricks cover the body. Addons and Bricks supply the detail.

There are already tons of MOCers who do this. Personal favorites are IGU or DeeVee.

We have the means and methods, the biggest obstacle is the price. The more pieces you add to fill an area the more costly it becomes. Bionicle sets are relatively cheap compared to the price range of System or Technic sets. It’s a challenge that Lego has shown to be capable in not in Bionicle, but rather the SW figures. With the two contraction lines solving different issues they need to learn from one another and progress to create aesthetically pleasing, functional, and intricate sets.

2 Likes

Yep, I even incorporated some of the design choices used in SW theme for example for the upper and lower legs from the back, where using both sloped bricks and technic connectors fill in a lot of gaps.

And yes, Bionicle is unusually cheaper based on how expensive regular LEGO sets range around (or the sets themselves feel like I get more from them because they are so larger than regular LEGO sets).

I would really like some insight into what are the constraints in making each set or yearly waves of sets. Then I will appreciate what they did in general because of it, now I dont know what the limits are since to me it feels like they a different from year to year which doesnt help when getting a standard feel of these things (not sure if anyone would actually say this since this goes beyond what might be considered safe to say to the public for fear of potential exploits from other companies).

It’s entirely possible to incorporate “bricks” with CCBS and TEHCNIC. It just requires more thought. What kind of “bricks” are you referring to?

Dang man, you have a way with words. However, as I believe you hinted at later, there are many limitations beyond budget LEGO designers have to wrestle with. Durability, playability, safety, these are all things that often must come before fine detailing in sets.

9 Likes

These all go down to the creativity category as well, thats why I didnt mention them specifically.

1 Like

I don’t follow.

I love CCBS, but I always find myself having more interest in MOCs using the older system. What it really needs is pieces with a level of customization, like a shell with axles holes.

The current CCBS shells are plenty customizable. You just need more “System-esque” parts.

5 Likes

The problem is that it’s a little limited. I feel that if they just included an axle hole and pin hole or two, that would fix all my issues.

It just feels limited and could be easily fixed. It might just be me, though.

1 Like